Folsom Lake

Ray Vanacore

Folsom Lake

Post by Ray Vanacore »

FYI
To all who are wanting to fish Folsom this time of year, as of Thursday the speed limit has been lowered to 5 MPH on the entire lake.
Ray Vanacore
Ray Vanacore
dtacker

Re: Folsom Lake

Post by dtacker »

Thank you for the heads up!
ACRon

Post by ACRon »

Thanks Ray.
Randy Walker

Post by Randy Walker »

Thanks for the heads up Ray... you always do a GREAT job of making sure your fellow anglers are kept in the loop on Folsom... much appreciated!

I was out there yesterday and the water is getting very low and dangerous out there..

Randy
~ Thanks for the support ~
Walkers Brittanys
RBBASS
www.optimabatteries.com
www.outdoorproshops.com
www.lock-n-haul.com/
www.purefishing.com
Berkley Fishing
Abu Garcia
imalures.com
optimumbaits.com
The Rod Glove http://vrxfishing.com/
Mike Tuck

Post by Mike Tuck »

Just a question... If the lake is at this level every year (which it is) why is it necessary to mandate a 5mph speed limit due to dangerous navigational hazards as it has been put to me?
Ryan, this is not directed at you at all. I appreciate your updates.
To me it just seems a bit out of line considering there are "navigational hazards" all over every lake I have ever fished regardless of it's given level. It always will be the responsibility of the boater to be aware of his/her surroundings and to navigate at a safe speed according to the present conditions. Perhaps more channel markers could be placed or make certain coves 5 mph.

Just curious how everyone else feels about it. Or, if anyone even cares.

There is a significant economic impact locally as well. Pleasure boaters and fisherman wont be buying fuel and day supplies, paying launch fees, repairs, service and associated costs of boating in the colder months.

Mike Tuck
fishmore

Post by fishmore »

I agree with Mike. The selfish side of me enjoys the peace and less pressure of 5mph season, but I know it's not good for recreation. I understand they can't mark every hazard on the lake. It is the responsibility of the boater to be aware of all hazards on the water. In my opinion, it should be like the small craft advisory when it's windy. Post a flag for hazard advisory. By the way, I fish Folsom quite a bit and have never seen the state park out enforcing the 5mph rule. Has anyone ever been sited for not complying?

-Fishmore
Ray Vanacore

Post by Ray Vanacore »

Mike
For what it's worth I agree,From what i was told when they started this BS a few years ago that people were trying to sue us at the Marina and also the State for there own stupidity,, Bent props out drives and such. Seems like no one had common sense. I have talked to the buoy tenders and they say they don't have enough buoys to mark every thing. Like you said every lake has Hazards but they don't put restrictions on them. If memory serves me, Kent Brown wrote them a letters as did a few Bass Clubs, but as you can see to no avail.
Ray Vanacore
Ray Vanacore
basstards23

Post by basstards23 »

fishmore wrote: Has anyone ever been sited for not complying?

I have been buzzed by the Placer County Sheriff's copter and warned over the Bullhorn. Scared the SH*# out of me as when I got close to the launch ramp at Granite Bay there there was a Sherriff's SUV with lights flashing at the top of the ramp. :shock:

To my surprise and luck the Sheriff was there impounding a Fourunner for four wheelin', the driver didn't have a license. LOL :o

Not a word was said to me about running over 5 mph!!! :D
Nellett

Post by Nellett »

Thanks for the heads up, I was just out there Monday and water level was very low! As I was pulling out after cruzing into bouys at about 40, Another bass boat was headed out ! As he reached the bouys he hit the gas only to be lit up immediately. Im pretty sure it was only a warning, but none the less I couldn't help but be curious......Now I Know !

Thanks Again
Nellett

Post by Nellett »

Ok guys headed out to folsom today to kill some time, only to be told the ramps are now closed at granite bay. So looks like browns ravine is all thats left on folsom this year :-(
Mike Tuck

Post by Mike Tuck »

Did they turn you away? This would be the first time I have ever heard of this. I know there is usually a few signs that say ramp closed, but the low water ramp out at the end of the dirt lot should still be well in play. I have heard in the old days it would get down below this ramp and you would have to go launch at Beals point, but it would have to be pretty damn low for that.

I have been there plenty of times when the low water ramp is fine but there is no dock yet. Luckily, there is plenty of sand to park on.

Side note: 5MPH is BS, but the lower that pond gets the better it gets. Right about now it should be getting close to EPIC if the rumors I have been hearing are true.

Mike Tuck
Ceaser

Post by Ceaser »

the rumor are
is that glitter!? Nice boat tinkerbell!
biteme

Post by biteme »

Mike Tuck wrote:Did they turn you away? This would be the first time I have ever heard of this. I know there is usually a few signs that say ramp closed, but the low water ramp out at the end of the dirt lot should still be well in play. I have heard in the old days it would get down below this ramp and you would have to go launch at Beals point, but it would have to be pretty damn low for that.

I have been there plenty of times when the low water ramp is fine but there is no dock yet. Luckily, there is plenty of sand to park on.

Side note: 5MPH is BS, but the lower that pond gets the better it gets. Right about now it should be getting close to EPIC if the rumors I have been hearing are true.

Mike Tuck
I was there last week. Pulled up was charged 22.00 and told have a nice day. Hit the ramp, closed. Went to the lower ramp, closed! WTF so ranger at the gate didnt know anything about the ramps being closed. One muddy track and boat later I drove to browns.
Mike Tuck

Post by Mike Tuck »

That's a new one for me. You must have hit it just right or wrong depending on how you look at it. It does get messy down there this time of year.
Thanks for the heads up. I'll run out there this week and give an update.

Mike Tuck
ACRon

Post by ACRon »

During the winter draw down there is a time, between the low water ramps and the extreme low water launch at Granite, when it is to muddy to launch. I haven't checked the rate of outflow but it should be available before to long if it doesn't rain.

The launch mentioned above at Beals Point was the drought launch. As the water went down the road followed the dyke from Beals around and eventually go to the dam.
Fish Trap

Post by Fish Trap »

Went out to the lake tonight. Saw at least 5 bass boats cruising around 30. I guess that is 5mph for a bass boat LOL. Anyway glad Mike is traveling at 5 MPH, he is to good a fisherman to run all over the place and catch em all. Nice day on the water with my 9 year old daughter who boated a few on her own as well as reeling in some of mine. Had a great time.
Tony Koregelos
Vernonn

Post by Vernonn »

How soon after the water rises back above 400ft will they remove the speed limit?

-v
Ray Vanacore

Post by Ray Vanacore »

Usually about a week, for the Bureau to decide. Its raising pretty steady right now, but it usually take a few days for the water to arrive from up the hill right now its just run off from the surrounding hills .
Ray Vanacore
Ray Vanacore
bassmonkey

Post by bassmonkey »

Lots of water gushing into Folsom right now and more to come. I would hope we are good for the ABA Sac Valley region next Sunday. 31k cfs comming in and only 2k +/- going out. 400.97 elevation and climbing. Just in time!
biteme

Post by biteme »

bassmonkey wrote:Lots of water gushing into Folsom right now and more to come. I would hope we are good for the ABA Sac Valley region next Sunday. 31k cfs comming in and only 2k +/- going out. 400.97 elevation and climbing. Just in time!
Yeah its pretty nuts! I just hope they dont pull the plug.
Obi-Hub

Post by Obi-Hub »

Keep an eye on it here:
Hourly/Event Stations: FOLSOM LAKE (AMERICAN R)
http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?s=FOL
~~~Gary "Obi-Hub" Collins
:mrgreen: ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ :mrgreen:
bigrodjohnson225

Post by bigrodjohnson225 »

I
Last edited by bigrodjohnson225 on Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
RipnRog

Post by RipnRog »

416 feet and climbing.. I would say it is good to go.
Ray Vanacore

Re: Folsom Lake update

Post by Ray Vanacore »

So we changed our website to reflect on the 5 mile speed limit and was told by the bureau that there not rescinding the speed limit as of yet. no explanation, so back up went signs,Why we don't know go figure.The lake rose 8 feet last night and sets at 417.
Ray Vanacore
Ray Vanacore
bassmonkey

Post by bassmonkey »

I picked up a new lake pass at the State Parks office this morning and they said they need a couple days to reset the hazard buoys. It should be lifted by the weekend. Hopefully. About 8 boats out today. Everybody running around on plane. Even the state parks buoy boat.
fishmore

Post by fishmore »

Anyone catch any fish today? I was out this afternoon and all the fish I thought I had located were gone. I can't believe how fast the lake came up.
JM

Post by JM »

I got out this morning for a couple hours today and got to talk to the guys in the buoy boat and they said it would be lifted by Friday for sure. Anyone know if ABA is going out of Granite Bay or Browns Ravine ramp? Still nothing on the website on which ramps they will be using? Rodger, do you have any idea?
biteme

Post by biteme »

Good luck out there guys! No lake lice and no 5mph! Looks Im going to be fishing Folsom again. :mrgreen:
RipnRog

Post by RipnRog »

JOHN MAES wrote:I got out this morning for a couple hours today and got to talk to the guys in the buoy boat and they said it would be lifted by Friday for sure. Anyone know if ABA is going out of Granite Bay or Browns Ravine ramp? Still nothing on the website on which ramps they will be using? Rodger, do you have any idea?

I talked to Jeff yesterday and he is planning on meeting at Suzies now and going out of Granite. I gave him all the contact info he needed to make this happen for you guys