Navionics News - Does your Lake Have The Detail?

Ebmohst

Navionics News - Does your Lake Have The Detail?

Post by Ebmohst »

Hi guys & gals, Tshombe with Navionics here with another NewsFlash. Navionics now has a new process called SonarCharts which allows us to produce new maps in 24 hours with 1’ contours! It’s the coolest thing I’ve seen come around in a while…and even more cool…it doesn’t cost you anything extra!
kane-o

Re: Navionics News - Does your Lake Have The Detail?

Post by kane-o »

quit posting about and tell us how to get it for free ? :roll:
Obi-Hub

Post by Obi-Hub »

kane-o wrote:quit posting about and tell us how to get it for free ? :roll:
+1
~~~Gary "Obi-Hub" Collins
:mrgreen: ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ :mrgreen:
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

this is all part of the Freshest Data content. When you update your chip you will get all of this new details for your maps. And, its all part of your Navionics subscription.

http://www.navionics.com/sites/www.navi ... s%20EN.pdf
~~ I'm trying to think but nothing happens ~~
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8MhaihAw7I&feature=related
Ebmohst

Post by Ebmohst »

Brian is absolutely right, but it goes even further then that! Anyone with a Navionics chart can record the data themselves and upload that data, then do a "freshest Data update" 24 hours later, and can have the data they just collected 24 hours the prior day!

Tshombe
slkric

Post by slkric »

Super cool feature. I have a local lake with limited data.......So you're saying I can record detail/sonar and have my charts updated in 24 hours? In 24 hour hours of my last trip I will have data on my local body of water that I didn't have when I purchased my chip?
Ebmohst

Post by Ebmohst »

slkric wrote:Super cool feature. I have a local lake with limited data.......So you're saying I can record detail/sonar and have my charts updated in 24 hours? In 24 hour hours of my last trip I will have data on my local body of water that I didn't have when I purchased my chip?

Slkric,

That's correct...record it today....have 1' contour detail tomorrow...just by updating your chip!

Tshombe
slkric

Post by slkric »

Tshombe - Unlimited updates?

westernbass members - Anyone out there use this feature yet?
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

When you send your info in to be converted, does your sonar info become the property of Navionics, and can they include it in whatever they send out to other people, or in their latest maps?
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
Ebmohst

Post by Ebmohst »

Slkric,

yes, you will be able to update your charts as often as you like for an entire year. Most likely, unless some of the Western Bass folks helped or are helping with the Bata testing they have not had the chance to try it out yet...shut it should be ready soon!

Mark,

Once the user decides he wants to upload his sonar log, he checks off the box that says "upload SonarCharts", then, once the data has been processed, we push the data out to everyone through our process called "Freshest Data" , which is free for a year. Navionics users benefit from the whole community.

Tshombe
fono

Post by fono »

Hey Tshombe!

One question I have is now that Oroville is down 140', can sonar logs from those depths update the lake map? I seem to recall that the data can only update layers that already exist. Can you confirm this?

Thanks, Frank
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Tshombe,
Do waypoints get downloaded, too?
CLEAN AND DRY
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

mark poulson wrote:Tshombe,
\
Mark, waypoints are not uploaded.
~~ I'm trying to think but nothing happens ~~
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8MhaihAw7I&feature=related
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Brian D. wrote:
mark poulson wrote:Tshombe,
\
Mark, waypoints are not uploaded.
Thank you, Sensei. :wink:
CLEAN AND DRY
TCS

Post by TCS »

Whats the difference between the regular version and the hotmaps version.
Ebmohst

Post by Ebmohst »

TCS wrote:Whats the difference between the regular version and the hotmaps version.

TCS,

All of the sonar logs that create the SonarCharts will be recorded on your HotMaps Premium/Platinum card (our lake product) or Gold/Platinum + (our ocean product so they will be on the same card. The difference will be in the contouring! The data will for the most part, from a contour standpoint, be HotMaps Platinum data, without the 3D, top down pics, and the panoramic pics! From 0-60 feet out 1' contours, 60-300 feet 6' contours, 300-600 feet 12' contours (there are more intervals but...)! TCS, did that answer your question?

Tshombe
Ebmohst

Post by Ebmohst »

fono wrote:Hey Tshombe!

One question I have is now that Oroville is down 140', can sonar logs from those depths update the lake map? I seem to recall that the data can only update layers that already exist. Can you confirm this?

Thanks, Frank
Hi Frank,

Great question! The data that is collected & uploaded and then downloaded back to your card is stored on a different layer then your regular navigation chart data, but it starts with basic data from the navigation data set. The items that will be updated and improved each time a recording is added are drying areas, spot soundings, and contour lines. So at Oroville it will take basic existing data compare it to the sonar log and adjust. As more data comes in, because it now has more data points, the contouring & soundings adjust and get better. Let me know if you have additional questions!

Tshombe
fono

Post by fono »

Tshombe,

That is totally awesome. With the huge water level fluctuations year to year on Oroville, its hard to keep track of all the key structure as it drops below the standard 5' contour lines. With 1' contour lines and dynamically refreshing data this is going to be a real game changer. Now my waypoints out in the middle of nowhere will have some context.

On a separate note, I have an older Navionics chip. How do I find out whether it is eligible for an update?

Tell the product guys great job! These are some features that fishermen can really take advantage of.

Frank
Ebmohst

Post by Ebmohst »

fono wrote:Tshombe,

That is totally awesome. With the huge water level fluctuations year to year on Oroville, its hard to keep track of all the key structure as it drops below the standard 5' contour lines. With 1' contour lines and dynamically refreshing data this is going to be a real game changer. Now my waypoints out in the middle of nowhere will have some context.

On a separate note, I have an older Navionics chip. How do I find out whether it is eligible for an update?

Tell the product guys great job! These are some features that fishermen can really take advantage of.

Frank
Frank,

Thanks for the positive feedback!

There are 2 ways To find out if you have current charts. 1. Email or Call Navionics customer service with the serial number on the front of your card or 2. log into Navionics.com, click on Downloads and Updates>download navionics webstore, then, once the Navionics web store has been installed on your computer, plug your card into a CF (compact flash) or SD/MSD card reader and the system will tell you if your card can be update. Basically the system is looking for charts that were programed after October of 2010. Let me know if you need additional information on the process.

Tshombe
basslayer

Post by basslayer »

This is going to make the best data even better. Basically it will allow each one of us to break down any part of any body of water and make it as detailed as we want. This technology coupled with the advancements in side/down imaging is really going to paint a detailed picture that we can all understand better.
Last edited by basslayer on Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.powellco.com
www.eyesurrendernow.com
Saulsbury's Earthmovers

Adam Ochoa
Calmassey

Post by Calmassey »

Tshombe,

I heard you can only record/update Sonar Charts from Hummingbird or Raymarine units now. Is that true?

Charley
Ebmohst

Post by Ebmohst »

Charlie,

Currently, that is correct.
Jch

Post by Jch »

Tshombe, can you reveal the community layer on your chartplotter for the purpose of downloading POI, buoys , wrecks, etc. or can these items only be made by mobile devices such as IPad,Phones, etc? For a freshest data update.Thanks
Ebmohst

Post by Ebmohst »

Jch wrote:Tshombe, can you reveal the community layer on your chartplotter for the purpose of downloading POI, buoys , wrecks, etc. or can these items only be made by mobile devices such as IPad,Phones, etc? For a freshest data update.Thanks
JCH,

Yes, on most chartplotters, Humminbird, Lowrance, & Raymarine for example, there is a "community layer" switch that turns it on or off. When the switch is turned on, all of the edits and changes through our users (over 900,000) mobile devices, like POI's, buoys, wrecks, soundings, marinas etc., can be downloaded & SEEN, but you can't add to the community layer through your chartplotter. Additions can only be made through smartphones, tablets, and PC's with the pc app which also works on macs. Thanks for your question JCH.
Ebmohst

Post by Ebmohst »

Calmassey wrote:Tshombe,

I heard you can only record/update Sonar Charts from Hummingbird or Raymarine units now. Is that true?

Charley
Calmassey wrote:Tshombe,

Charley
Charlie, I might add a little more information for clarity. The Navico (Lowrance, Simrad, & B&G) line has the CAPABILITY of recording SonarCharts and its a very simple process. While you are on an active sonar screen, tap MENU>LOG SONAR>(rename to body of water if you like)>choose the Navionics card/blank card (do not choose internal)>UNCHECK all channels>RECORD, and that's it! You can also SEE any recordings that have been done on Humminbird, Raymarine, or even a Garmin chartplotter on any Navico product that can run a Platinum Navionics chart. HOWEVER, Navionics CAN NOT currently USE, any data that is uploaded into our system with a Navico (Lowrance, Simrad, & B&G) plotter.

Tshombe
Bagels

Post by Bagels »

Tshombe,
I have two chips Platinum that were dated before October 2010, does Navionics have a trade-in program or is there anything else I can do aside from paying another $400 for updated Platinum chips. It gets expensive to update chips every two years.
Ebmohst

Post by Ebmohst »

Bagels wrote:Tshombe,
I have two chips Platinum that were dated before October 2010, does Navionics have a trade-in program or is there anything else I can do aside from paying another $400 for updated Platinum chips. It gets expensive to update chips every two years.
Thanks for your question. In the first quarter of 2013 we will have a chart that allows you to get updated information because you are a current Navionics user for a fraction of the original cost! Let me know if you have additional questions Bagels.

Tshombe