How Did the Cooch Tournament Turn Out?

whazup

How Did the Cooch Tournament Turn Out?

Post by whazup »

Have been wondering about the tourny......any stories/pics?
Fish Laugh at the Mention of My Name
ScottyJ

Re: How Did the Cooch Tournament Turn Out?

Post by ScottyJ »

It went well but pretty disappointing. There were many people and "friends" who promised things and to show up that did not. Granted we understand it is the holidays and weather isn't the best, but this wasn't about being the best angler or winning the top prize. It was to show support and help someone who has done so much for everyonr else, that needs our help. For those who say, "Why doesn't he get a job and earn it himself?", well fishing and guiding is his job. Cooch never once asked for help or asked to have any of this set up to help him. This was all something his daughter and friends started and organized as a means to pull together as a community and use our resources to help one of the "good guys."

With that said, the supoort that was given was AWESOME. 12 boats showed up and scrapped it out for a day of tough fishing. The winning team with a 3 fish limit for 8lbs and change was Tom Lutz and his partner who I can't recall his name (I appologize as I am writing this from memory and Lindsey has all the exact details). Tom also caught big fish that was 3.8 I believe.

Big thanks to Vince Harris for coming out and running the show. Also I want to thank the people and companies who contributed:
Gene @ The Hook
Mike Brakebill & Roboworms
Bub Tosh & Paycheck Baits
Troyce & TNT
Mel Cottons
Big Hammer Baits

Im sure I have forgotten some people and I appologize.

Thank you for your support!!

Scott Johnson
"Jig fish are big fish"
RipnRog

Post by RipnRog »

ScottyJ wrote:It went well but pretty disappointing. There were many people and "friends" who promised things and to show up that did not. Granted we understand it is the holidays and weather isn't the best, but this wasn't about being the best angler or winning the top prize. It was to show support and help someone who has done so much for everyonr else, that needs our help. For those who say, "Why doesn't he get a job and earn it himself?", well fishing and guiding is his job. Cooch never once asked for help or asked to have any of this set up to help him. This was all something his daughter and friends started and organized as a means to pull together as a community and use our resources to help one of the "good guys."

With that said, the supoort that was given was AWESOME. 12 boats showed up and scrapped it out for a day of tough fishing. The winning team with a 3 fish limit for 8lbs and change was Tom Lutz and his partner who I can't recall his name (I appologize as I am writing this from memory and Lindsey has all the exact details). Tom also caught big fish that was 3.8 I believe.

Big thanks to Vince Harris for coming out and running the show. Also I want to thank the people and companies who contributed:
Gene @ The Hook
Mike Brakebill & Roboworms
Bub Tosh & Paycheck Baits
Troyce & TNT
Mel Cottons
Big Hammer Baits

Im sure I have forgotten some people and I appologize.

Thank you for your support!!

Scott Johnson

You drew more boats than anglers choice.
Dom

Post by Dom »

Yea I was one of those, but we just could not make it ,However I did make a donation and got the paypal thing going or at least tried (not many donated) times are tough but even a 5 dollar donation from everyone on Cooches FB friends list would have put him way up there to recovery. Its Sad, But to those few of us who have tried and stepped up THANKS!
Tight Lines Dom
Linzycuccia

Post by Linzycuccia »

The pics are on the way!!!

Thank you to all who donated. every bit helped . Thanks to all who showed up and supported my father. Your help, support, and all donations will never go unnoticed. The pro-teen kids and their parents, the pro anglers and non pros, boaters and non boaters who joined my pregnant but out in that cold weather and for Russo's Marina who donated all the launch fees to the pot! I deeply appreciate you support. I know my father does as well!! And for all of those who didn't show up, I am truly sorry we missed yah! We really needed you! Your help would have made this event an even bigger success. I know times are tough, I of all understand. But I thank all who helped me in planning and putting together this event.

Linzy
Otay Michael

Post by Otay Michael »

Linzy, please send me the contact info of the two winners so I can let them know how to pick their $1,000 pieces of art from my website.

Also, please pull one name out of the hat from all the attendees, plus the ones that made a donation that did not show (like Dom), less the two that already won, for the art I'm donating for that winner too. (Maybe wait a day or two, for any last minute donation folks to still get in- anyone?)

Also, Rusty Brown, a guide for L.A., Orange County and San Diego Lakes, and one of the contacts from Aim Marine's BassAthon, said he's put together a care package for Cooch and will ship it to him, thanks Rusty. http://rustybasshook.com/

I believe we should have another benefit tournament after the New Year, in conjunction with the Winter Nutcase Rally, anyone second the motion? I think we will be able to get a lot more donations for a drawing, I did not have time to call the folks I'd met at Bass A Thon, many wanted to donate something, lots of nice folks out there.
Otay Michael

All I need to get into the money would be the four I usually get along with a 20# kicker.

Own no boring art: www.seewald.com
Name written in the book of life.
mrbassin0614

Post by mrbassin0614 »

How many boats?
kraetzer

Post by kraetzer »

Otay Michael wrote:
I believe we should have another benefit tournament after the New Year, in conjunction with the Winter Nutcase Rally, anyone second the motion?
+1
kraetzer

"I am ready to face any challenge that might be foolish enough to face me" - Dwight K. Schrute
ScottyJ

Post by ScottyJ »

Otay Michael and Dom thank you both. You have been helpful in this process and should not go un noticed. Michael, if Lindsey doesn't get back to you shoot me a message and I can get you her phone number or email.

There were 12 boats that came out.

Another tournament is always a possibility. Lindsey is pregnant and had way too much stress organizing this that we will have to take the reigns if that is to be done. Lets all keep in touch and keep it on the back burner. I have a couple of things I am working on that if they come through, we may not need another fundraiser. However, there are other people on here besides Cooch, like Scott Dipman, that also had this happen too. So if there ends up being another tournament there are other people who could also use some help.
"Jig fish are big fish"
Tom(fishfafun)

Post by Tom(fishfafun) »

My regular partner Ash and I had decided to fish this event to help Cooch out, this guy spends a lot of time helping us all out with helpful fishing info/advise all year and is the driving force behind what I believe is a very important event every year for our fishing youth(the Pro Teen). PLUS, it just gives my partner and myself some good time on the water.
Anyway, my boater partner Ash got extremely sick in the days before this event and just couldn't make it, so I brought my boat over hoping to pick up a non-boater for a fun day on the water. Cooch hooked me up with teenager, Garret Dayton that came down with friends to fish (even off the bank if he had to he told me). Garret and I spent our time in Taylor fishing and talking about all kinds of crazy stuff, a very enjoyable young man, and trying to catch a fish or two on a tough, cold day. I kinda felt like I got to do and extra Pro-Teen this year.
I got a couple of fish early and Garret got his first two dropshot fish to help the cause and were fortunate to get a decent 3 fish limit of 8.22 with a big fish of 3.93 lbs. Not huge by any means but we were happy to have them due to the conditions.
Turns out that was very much enough to get the first place plaques and big fish plaque and prize $$$. I know how jazzed Garret was that we won, talk about a big smile. He also got a new fishing rod in the raffle to help out with his future fishing endeavors. (now you can use that money you were saving for the guitar, Garret).
Believe me, winning with him was as much of a thrill for me as when I won my first tournament, I know it was his first time.
Thanks to all those that participated (never ran into a better bunch of guys/gals) and especially Linzy, I know this was a project and all we had to do was come over and fish (easy part). It just confirms what a special daughter you are to another special person in all of our lives (Cooch). Good things come to good people!

BTW, Michael, I'm not sure about Garret's info but you can reach me at 707-592-9575 or email Fishfafun@aol.com. I'm hoping what I can do is auction(ebay?) off the art work I pick out with the proceeds going to getting Cooch back on the water. Thank you so much for the donation. You're another one of the special people.

Tom
http://www.pepperjigs.com/
Linzycuccia

Post by Linzycuccia »

:lol: Thanks Tom! I had fun doing it! I had so much fun I almost popped out a baby in the process! But it was well worth it! It was awesome to be around a great bunch if guys, including the pro-teen kids! It was a cold day, a tough bite, and I thank the ones who could join us!

Otay.... I will email you that info ASAP!

Linzy!
Marty

Post by Marty »

Just found out My raffle tickets won!
Otay Michael

Post by Otay Michael »

Marty wrote:
Just found out My raffle tickets won!
What'd you win?
Otay Michael

All I need to get into the money would be the four I usually get along with a 20# kicker.

kitjack

Post by kitjack »

How much money or equipment has been raised for Cooch so far?
Otay Michael

Post by Otay Michael »

kitjack wrote:How much money or equipment has been raised for Cooch so far?
He's hanging in there. He's blessed with a really nice boat to borrow for now, so clients can get out with him still. One gentleman that runs a fiberglass shop is going to see what he can do with Cooch's old boat/shell. He's got some nice donations; brand new trolling motor, jack plate, rods/reels, so he thanks so many of you that came forward, many he does not even know. :shock:

What a good group of fishermen around here. He even got a really old boat donated, but it's too small for clients. Maybe he could sell it and apply it towards a motor, that's what he really needs he says.

Financially, many things are tough for him, so keep him in your prayers.

As I can make it up there to help run it this time, I propose we will have another benefit tournament/WB Winter Rally on Sunday, February 10th, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., (as he says they bite better in the later hours during the winter). I've got some folks that will donate product already, as well as my usual art offerings for various winners. (By the way, the young gentleman who partnered a win got hold of me for his art, but I'm still waiting on the name drawn from the donators for the final image to be given away- Linzy?)

Everyone have a safe and Happy New Year.
Otay Michael