What do you do?

Morgan

What do you do?

Post by Morgan »

New to swimbaiting. I've had this happen a couple of times, Throwing a swimbait and right when it gets where I can see it at the boat, there is a big girl following, but not committing. I just panic, pause, but they just lose interest or they see me, I don't know which? I've tried doing the figure eight, but by that time she left and broke my heart. What has worked more consistently for you?

Thanks,
Morgan
utbassman

Re: What do you do?

Post by utbassman »

Try varying your retrieve. For instance, a slight pause, change of direction, or speeding the bait up briefly. I usually do something like that during the retreive. It seems like by the time they get that close to the boat your usually screwed. You could also try backing off a little more or fishing the structure from a diff angle. The fish may be coming out of deeper water and your just not giving them quite enough time to commit to the bait. The only other advise I have is to change color or size of bait if your getting a lot of followers. But if its just happening every now and then and you are catching fish, sometimes there's not much you can do about it. Its brutal watching a big watermelon disappear back into the depths. But at least its a clue that your in the right area!
Morgan

Post by Morgan »

While fishing a club tourney at Pedro, after my post above, at the end of the day, just before weigh in, I had 5 followers. Water was soo clear. Could-of been a contender........ Very frustrating.
L Dub

Post by L Dub »

What speed reel are you using? Could be a factor. I've been using a 5.8:1 and noticed that it's still too fast regardless of how slow I reel.
Morgan

Post by Morgan »

I was using a 6:4:1. Tried pausing it, speeding it, almost dead sticking. But, when that bait got to where I could see it and then the fish, the fish just lost interest each time.
Bass01

Post by Bass01 »

I usually burn it away from them very frantically. Either they want it or not. Put em under pressure to make the decision
fishinman

Post by fishinman »

If your fishing a properly tuned bait. Stop and jerk hard down. Depending on type of bait and length from rod tip it should turn 180 degrees in her face. Try it in practice to see where it performs best (distancefrom rod tip). Could create a reaction strike! :mrgreen:
jamescaird

Post by jamescaird »

There is no magic bullet. Some days they bite it in the first few feet of your retrieve, other days they follow, other days you don't see them at all. Try casting farther and adding some erratic moves or speed in the middle of your retrieve. In general speeding up is better to trigger a follower than slowing down or stopping "try to take it away from them"... but instead of doing that at the boat when you see them, do it mid-retrieve so they have a chance to eat it before seeing you. Depends on how cross eyed the fish is on the bait. If they are following and closing in on the bait they will probably bite it, if they are following and just matching speed with the bait less likely to bite. It's all about activity levels provided there aren't major presentation flaws. Good luck!
yjjustforme

Post by yjjustforme »

Try putting some kind of sent on it ( can't believe nobody recommended it ) like pro cure
elfish16

Post by elfish16 »

in the 15+ years of swimbait fishing its a lot about angles. You need to find the angle where the fish seems the prey(your swimmer) will get away. For me its usually been all about fishing uphill. if that baits heading to the bank its a pinning position so they feel the bait wont leave. As far as retrieves go, fish have to tell you that. I've had more followers in my life of fish in mid to VERY high teen ranges. If the water is slick calm, go back to the same areas through out the day and it may be timing. When the wind chops up the water those followers feel less vulnerable and can eat better.

Sadly there isn't 1 answer to trigger bites from these followers. If there was we'd all be smashing giants when we got that answer. Keep chucking and you will get them.
Eric Elshere

https://donssmokinsalmon.com
https://maxima-lines.com
Derrek Stewart

Post by Derrek Stewart »