Humboldt bass fishin

masterbassbaiter

Humboldt bass fishin

Post by masterbassbaiter »

Movin up to eureka for school in a couple months, gonna bring the boat up there with me. I was lookin around on the internet to see what lakes had bass fishing. Only found a couple and they are pretty far away from Humboldt state university, can anyone who fishes the area give me an idea of what lakes are up there to fish that are a reasonable drive from eureka? It's starting to seem like I'm a bass fisherman lost in a sea of salmon and steelhead up there.
jerkin rods, and smakin bass since '94.
bass king

Re: Humboldt bass fishin

Post by bass king »

Can always roast a big one and flip the bath tub?
Caudawg

Post by Caudawg »

Ruth Lake is about the best choice for you in that region. I went to HSU for one year and just went with the flow...caught salmon and steelhead in the rivers and in the inlets which also helped save me money by being a constant supply of quality protein. Yup, I banged em on the head and kept them for dinner!! But if you are hellbent on catching bass...Ruth is the best choice. Talk to Tom at the big tackle shop in eureka. He knows Ruth Lake better than most. He worked in Arcata at the New Outdoor Store when I was at HSU but as far as I know he runs the fishing dept. at the store in Eureka. It may also be called the New Outdoor Store. Or, he may be at the other shop called Bucksport (it's been many years since I've been back to Eureka). Tom is a bass nut and will hook you up with great info. Please tell him I sent ya!

You might try Freshwater Lagoon (near Big Lagoon) to the north near Trinidad...it has some bass and you can fish from shore pretty easily. Here too...ask Tom for some info on this pond that is just across the freeway from the beach.

One little secret spot is to go down to Klopp Lake where many of the HSU hatchery fish are released. It was a great secret spot that I could always catch a few nice hybrid "cutbows". I hardly ever saw anyone fish there and I could easily ride my bike there. It wasn't bass fishing but it was a fun place to go to for a quick hour or two of fishing.

That whole area up there has some great opportunities in both fresh and salt water. We often went out on the jetty in Eureka and caught lots of rockfish and ling cod. There is also some great "Poke-polling" available off the jetty and in some of the rocky shoreline in the deeper tide-pools.

Good luck! Let us know how things go up there.
John Caulfield
Big Rock Sports- Territory Sales Manager (Norcal)
Freelance Outdoor Writer
BigWorm

Post by BigWorm »

Unfortunately it is a tough place to live if you want to go bass fishing. There is no "local" fishery really.
Ruth lake is a great lake, 2hrs away at the most. But now you have to pay $20 to launch due to bogus quagga inspections. I have not been there for years because it was a dink factory,. Fishing has improved I've heard. Trinity is a healthy 2.5 hr drive away and the fishing can be excellent.
Freshwater lagoon used to be an amazing fishery, easy 20 fish days and 20+ lb limits. Now it sucks. There are still bass in there but they seem to be few and far between. The water quality has diminished and the weeds are doing weird things like disappearing.
Lots of other fishing opportunities though!
bassman415

Post by bassman415 »

What's up buddy? Don't know if you fish tournaments but at HSU we have a bass fishing team. We fish flw and B.A.S.S. tournaments. I am the president and we can get you dialed in and squared away. Send me a pm, email or text/call. Season starts in Jan at lake Havasu. Hit me up!

Alex Robbins
415-250-3905
alexjrob@yahoo.com
masterbassbaiter

Post by masterbassbaiter »

thanks fellas, Ive been lookin around on google maps and did see freshwater lagoon and ruth lake, but other than that it's a trek to get to anything else.
jerkin rods, and smakin bass since '94.