A-rig / swimbait rod suggestions

Louie

A-rig / swimbait rod suggestions

Post by Louie »

I was wondering if there is a rod that will work for both throwing the Alabama rig and small swimbaits. I won't use it much during the year and was wondering if I could get by with one rod for both applications. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Bsapp

Re: A-rig / swimbait rod suggestions

Post by Bsapp »

764 Dobyns, great all around rod. I've used it for the rig and small swimbaits. Great Buzzbait rod also...
mojoe98

Post by mojoe98 »

I would choose the phenix M1 80MH or H...one of the best all around swimbait rod on the market today. This rod is very light weight and sensitive but has the power to pull in the toads! Check them out at phenix rods.com!
Champion Jon

Post by Champion Jon »

Depends on how much you want to spend?

The Okuma 7'11" Heavy guide select will do a darn good job.

Dobyns 764 as mentioned is a great rod. I also like the 795MLSB.
str8upirish

Post by str8upirish »

Try the M1 80 mh or the h by Phenix. I have both and use it for what you want to use it for. I use the mh for throwing smaller A rigs and it works awesome. I'll also use it to throw my Toad Thrasher and WST. I'll even punch with it. The h works better with the heavier A rigs and larger swimbaits like the huddelston. The price point on them is under $200 so it wont break the bank and a $50 no hassle warranty you can't go wrong.
Old Trapper Beef Jerky Best In the West
http://www.oldtrapper.com/
Phenix Rods
http://www.phenixrods.com/
River 2 Sea
http://www.river2seausa.com/
California Reservoir Lures
http://www.californiareservoirlures.com/
BHQ
http://bassanglerhq.com/
TravisH

Post by TravisH »

Definately take the time to look at the Phenix M1 rod line up.. For A-rigs an light swimbaits I throw the Phenix M1 80mh..

Travis Huckaby..
DeltaBassBuster

Post by DeltaBassBuster »

Champion Jon wrote:Depends on how much you want to spend?

The Okuma 7'11" Heavy guide select will do a darn good job.

Dobyns 764 as mentioned is a great rod. I also like the 795MLSB.

I 2nd the Okuma 7'11" Heavy, I've been happy with it in both situations. I've also used it as my punching rod.

Attachments
I was punching from the bank using the Okuma 7'11" Heavy
I was punching from the bank using the Okuma 7'11" Heavy
4-12-2012 Buckley Cove in Back of Ladd's 5.5 pounder.jpg (158.59 KiB) Viewed 5660 times
jerrysfishing

Post by jerrysfishing »

G.Loomis SWBR953, soft tip for EASY casting and alot of backbone for hookset. It doesn't have real long handle like some swimbait rods.
Last edited by jerrysfishing on Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
NoDragging

Post by NoDragging »

POWELL 795 is a great a-rig rod. i throw 8 wires up to 2 oz of weight on it. it is also geat for smaller swimbaits like the savage gear and 6" hudd. i've even thrown a punker on it and flipped with it
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Basically, you need a longer, med. heavy rod with a moderate or med. fast tip. Something that's rated for 1-4 oz.
I use a 7'9" Irod A rig special that I got on sale at Tacklewarehouse. I have a good friend who swears by his 7'8" Jr. Swimbait rod. To me, they are almost exactly the same and both are good for either A rigs or small swimbaits.
But there are other rods that will work. The 7'11" Okuma heavy guide series mentioned earlier in this thread is a good example of an affordable rod that will work, too. Even though it's rated heavy, it has a soft enough tip to throw smaller swimbaits, too.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
elfish16

Post by elfish16 »

mark poulson wrote:Basically, you need a longer, med. heavy rod with a moderate or med. fast tip. Something that's rated for 1-4 oz.
I use a 7'9" Irod A rig special that I got on sale at Tacklewarehouse. I have a good friend who swears by his 7'8" Jr. Swimbait rod. To me, they are almost exactly the same and both are good for either A rigs or small swimbaits.
I personally agree here with Mark and love the Irod A Rig special. It's a money rod! Tosses the rig very very well. if you are using a bailey umbrella rig with heavier Predator baits you will need a bigger rod. but for the normal a rigs out there you need nothing other than this rod. The price is PERFECT and doubles as a GREAT Osprey, Trash Fish, 6" hudd and 6-8" Triple trout rod. :mrgreen:
Eric Elshere

https://donssmokinsalmon.com
https://maxima-lines.com
bassz21

Post by bassz21 »

Loomis 845 gl3 I just wish they made it in imx you can do almost anything with this rod I do thrrow my a rigs on it and works great the tip really whips it oul there I just don't use it for heavy a rigs say with like 1/2 oz or more jigheads and I throw 7" ospreys no problem
Greeat rod
Mike Reidy

Post by Mike Reidy »

I would recommend you give the Dobyns Champion 804C a serious look. Works great for techniques you describe and c rig.
jmats

Post by jmats »

i second the phenix M1 series best swimbait rod on the market and has a price and a warranty thats awesome.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Ditto on the IRod A-Rig special. This rod was made especially for throwing the Frenzy Umbrella Rigs or the other brands.
elfish16 wrote:
mark poulson wrote:Basically, you need a longer, med. heavy rod with a moderate or med. fast tip. Something that's rated for 1-4 oz.
I personally agree here with Mark and love the Irod A Rig special. It's a money rod! Tosses the rig very very well. if you are using a bailey umbrella rig with heavier Predator baits you will need a bigger rod. but for the normal a rigs out there you need nothing other than this rod. The price is PERFECT and doubles as a GREAT Osprey, Trash Fish, 6" hudd and 6-8" Triple trout rod. :mrgreen:
~~ I'm trying to think but nothing happens ~~
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8MhaihAw7I&feature=related
Louie

Post by Louie »

Thanks for the responses. I will start to look at the rods mentioned and see what one I like.
Mike

Post by Mike »

I like the Dobyns 795 swimbait rod but I throw bigger set ups. For the smaller rigs the 804c will do the trick
OG on WB since 1993
mike at robo

Post by mike at robo »

I-Rod a-rig rod works really well for both , been using it since it came out with no problems , ALSO !!!!!! It is a great rod for all the new giant crankbaits that are coming out , the slightly longer handle gives you a lot more leverage along your forearm and cuts down on fatigue . Darn good price too ,yeahhhhhhh...
clearlakeoutdoors

Post by clearlakeoutdoors »

This January like weather has kicked the A rig bite into full gear. several reports of over 25 Pound limits last weekend and George Hill of the clearlake bassmasters club caught a 10 in their monthly tournament on the rig!!!
bassdaddy

Post by bassdaddy »

For what it's worth, I agree with Mike on the suggestion of the Dobyns 795 and the 804C. Depending on the size of rig you want to throw, one or the other will most likely fill your needs.