Nitro Z7s

Sticks56

Nitro Z7s

Post by Sticks56 »

I am curious to see if I can gain a little insight from first hand owners or individuals who have fished from Nitro Z7s what are the pros and cons of this platform, is it large enough, fast enough, or comfortable enough for tournament fishing any input would be greatly appreciated I thank you all for your time.
george

Re: Nitro Z7s

Post by george »

I was watching one of the tournament shows recently and it may have been "Major League Fishing" where I saw one of the pros was in a Z7.
If I am not mistaking it is an 18' foot haul with a 150-175 engine!
These are my thoughts! I fished tournaments out of a 17' Stratos for years that would only run about 35mph with two of us in it. Each year I would win enough to pay for all of my expenses of tournament fishing from equipment to fuel to entry fees.

I have always been with the mind set that you will never catch a bass at 65 mph or at 25 mph or at 10 mph! Whether you are fishing from the front of a twenty footer or the front of a seventeen footer you are at no real dis-advantage while you have a line in the water.

The bigger the engine and the bigger the haul will equate to the bigger the fuel bill! You will be a little more comfortable and you will go 65 instead of 50 and get to that starting spot in the big boat sooner but you will also get back to the fuel pump sooner as well.

I would fish out of a eighteen footer with a 150 over a larger boat just for the sake of it is going to be thirty percent cheaper in fuel cost and thirty to forty percent less expensive in just overall cost.

So if I can buy a Nitro Z7 at lets say 30K or larger boat that would be 40K or more to purchase I am ahead of the game right out of the gate.

It aint the size of the haul, its how you wave the wand that wins tournaments! The Z7 is a great boat, I have fished out a couple! Ranger makes a great boat, but are at the top of the market price wize!

Phoenix Boats make one of the best hauls out there!
But I believe with the economy still struggling and gas prices still going up you have got to be able to afford to fun fish and pay tournament fees once you make the purchase.

Good Luck!
George
frank

Post by frank »

I was a Ranger owner for years and decided to purchase a newer Z7 about a year ago and sold by ranger because she was getting up there in years and needed to retire. I love my Z7, the storage and layout are better in my opinion. The front deck is substantually wider than most 18 ft bass boasts and I can fit 8' rods in my locker (could only fit 7.5' in my old boat). overall it is comfortable and the extra space makes a difference taking my son and wife out for the day as well as on tourney day with my partner. I am very happy with my Z7.
J. Walker

Post by J. Walker »

I've fished from a z7 and think it's an awesome setup for the price. I actually bought a z7 sport( the fish and ski version for the family) and am happy with it so far. It's a little longer 19'5" and a lot heavier and I have a 150 pro xs that can run low to mid 50s pretty easily. For the price I don't think a z7 can be beat, big deck and tons of storage for an 18' boat. Really depends on where your fishing. There are times when running clear lake a bigger boat is nice. But a smaller one sure is nice for working around docks and such. Hope this helps.
Sticks56

Post by Sticks56 »

Thanks for all the input I think I'm going to take the leap and purchase one
DanO

Post by DanO »

Hey Sticks,

I'm an on the water photographer / Editorial Team member for Major League Fishing,and whoever said they fish out of Z7's is dead on. Each of those boats is identically rigged and they are sweet.

They scoot along at 52 to 55 with the angler, his gear, the cameraman, his gear and an official. The front deck is wide, and you can actually fit an 8 foot rod in the port side rod locker. Not bad for an 18-foot boat. Consoles are big and roomy and the guys seem to like them, other than the fact they aren't the 20 and 21 footers they are used to on tour competition.

I've spent many a day in the Z7 over the past three years, and they are comfortable. Like any other boat of that size, slowing down in rough water is a must, but for the average day and the economy of fishing a smaller boat; this might be the best package out there, all things considered.

One thing I would do is spend the little bit of extra money and equip the Z7 with a 36 volt 101, 109 or 112 trolling motor like the MLF boats are rigged. Those boats scoot with that thing on there. From talking to some of the guys, several of them have gone back to the trolling motor companies to get higher pound thrust models made for their big boats, they love the speed.

DanO
Jeff Jewell

Post by Jeff Jewell »

Give Preston Henson a call over at Gone Fishing Marine, (707) 678-1600
He can give you all the info you need on a Z-7......
When in Doubt " Set the Hook"
kb

Post by kb »

Can't tell from your bio where you live but Gone Fishin Marine (Dixon, CA) and Anglers Marine Anaheim and San Diego) are both Nitro dealers and are also Triton dealers. Before you make up your mind take a look at the Triton 18Xs with the 150 Pro XS that both dealers carry as well and compare them. Just another option in the 18 foot market for about the same price and the boat qualifies for Triton Gold in most of the tournaments you fish!

kb
California Outdoor Hall of Fame
Ultimate Bass Radio Saturday's on KHTK Sac Town Sports 1140
Larry Hemphill

Something to consider

Post by Larry Hemphill »

I can't comment on a Z7 or others in that line. They look great. I have run Rangers my whole career - but I did start with a 16-10 foot Ranger. Loved it (felt like a hot rod on water!), but was scary in very rough water - just not long enough to handle BIG swells. You need to consider how nasty and dangerous the conditions can get on a big body of water if you fish those. If one fishes a big open water lake like Clear Lake or Berryessa in California, you might need to limit the areas you can fish. Whatever your choice - new boats are GREAT!!
fishin45

Post by fishin45 »

If you are looking into a nitro I I would be weary. I bought the Z7 in 2011 and while I must admit the mercury optimax has been great and the boat rides and fishes well but quality is sacrificed with the lower price. I have had my boat in the shop 4 times in the first year and a half with large single cracks in the bow originating from the holes for the bolts to bolt down the trolling motor. They added bolts, changed the bushings and I even paid for the 90 dollar trolling motor bracket to keep the TM from bouncing. Well I'm a little over 2 years into the boat and the 5th large crack has appeared and Nitro has told me to kick rocks they will not fix it again as it is not structural damage just cosmetic. Also the tires are cheap on the trailor as I got just 2 years before they started separating and falling apart. The master cylinder on the trailor has gone out twice but was covered under the extended warranty and was only 50 bucks to fix but time away from the boat none the less. If a nitro is all you can afford them that's all you can afford but make sure you know you get what you pay for. I could keep going on the little things but at the end of the day craftsmanship is the only thing missing from the nitro. I will say this, I have a couple buddies with Z8's and they have not had the issues I have but it would stand to reason that you could end up with a boat that is less than you bargained for and after the first year or so you WILL not get support from Nitro for non structural issues. Please keep in mind that it takes at least 3 weeks everytime it is in the shop for gel coat repair so be prepared for seperation anxiety.

Just my opinion and I hope you have good luck in your decision but I will not be buying another one. I got rid of an old 17 foot ranger to get mine and I would suggest looking into other options.
XMAN

Post by XMAN »

..I talked to a x-nitro boat dealer years ago..i will not go into the good and bad of a particular brand or why he discontinued the nitros...he told me when buying a boat look under the dash at the wiring and the way the fiberglasing covers the wood if any...when at BPS one day I did just that and I didn't like what I saw....dangling wires and exposed wood...nough said.....X
CG

Post by CG »

Seriously, if yer gonna drop the coin on a brand new boat, don't be in a hurry to decide. Look into several options, and take at least a couple test rides before deciding. Check out the Phoenix 618 vs. a similarly equipped Z7. Go to bassboatcentral.com, boat forums - full of good info, and a pretty good thread comparing the 618 to the Z7. re: price, build quality, customer service, etc... Talked w/ Cooch at ISE this year, and he is now running a 618, after years in bigger Stratos boats. Good luck w/ your purchase!!
TeamBeefmaster

Post by TeamBeefmaster »

I own a Nitro NX882 with a 150 merc. Its a bit older than a Z7, but the same boat from my understanding. Awesome, cost effect boat. I can do 63 mph with just me. Ive taken her out in 8-10 footers in Lake Champlain, no issues (except a cracked jack plate, but it was time). The only issue i have is getting on plane with a full gas tank, full live wells, and a chubby co-angler.

The boat has a wider beam than some 20-21 foot champions and bass cats I have been on. Very stable boat, similar to a ranger. I would recommend it.
elfish16

Post by elfish16 »

TeamBeefmaster wrote:I own a Nitro NX882 with a 150 merc. Its a bit older than a Z7, but the same boat from my understanding. Awesome, cost effect boat. I can do 63 mph with just me. Ive taken her out in 8-10 footers in Lake Champlain, no issues (except a cracked jack plate, but it was time). The only issue i have is getting on plane with a full gas tank, full live wells, and a chubby co-angler.

The boat has a wider beam than some 20-21 foot champions and bass cats I have been on. Very stable boat, similar to a ranger. I would recommend it.
been in Beefmaster's Nitro and it's a solid little boat. Moves pretty good too!
Eric Elshere

https://donssmokinsalmon.com
https://maxima-lines.com
Matt Moreau

Post by Matt Moreau »

I have a Nitro 901. Its the predecessor of the Z8.

I have beat and beat on this boat and i have to admit it just keeps asking for more. I bought it new in 2007. It has 650 hours on the motor and the only time it has ever been to the shop was about 2 years ago the oxtgen belt blew. There are minor fit issues and yes its not a ranger but what you get for your money is alot.

If money wasnt an issue i would get a ranger but this fit my budget and GF Marine helped me picked out a good boat that has got me on the water reliably for 7 years of hard tournament fishing! Cant ask for much more.
"The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad."

Matthew Moreau