Pouring Your Own Jigs and Plastics

ttb31183

Pouring Your Own Jigs and Plastics

Post by ttb31183 »

In the last WesternBass Magazine I wrote an article on pouring your own jigs and weights. It has been a fun way to spend the winter months involved with fishing and I am stocking up on things I will be using this year. Last weekend I poured some jigheads and also some new plastics.

The swing jig was the latest mold I got and it is awesome. I made a bunch of them on Trokar hooks in various sizes. I also poured over 60 tube heads in no time and used Owner hooks. Its great to be able to use quality hooks and not have to pay as much.

Here's my first attempt at pouring plastics. They are injected and will be a cool shakyhead worm. I haven't gotten serious enough to start handpouring but I am sure that will be next.

Does anyone else make their own stuff?

Here is the link to my last article: http://westernbass.com/shared/mag_wb/wb ... index.html
Tyler Brinks
elfish16

Re: Pouring Your Own Jigs and Plastics

Post by elfish16 »

My old man and myself make our own jigs, buzzbaits, spinnerbaits, swimbaits(softbaits) and pour multiple softbaits... it's a LOT of fun to cash checks on your own stuff!!! :mrgreen:
Eric Elshere

https://donssmokinsalmon.com
https://maxima-lines.com
Oldschool

Post by Oldschool »

Making your own jigs and worms can be rewarding. My advice is to ease into it, very addicting.
Barlow's Tackle is a good site for supplies.
Good luck.
Tom
RHobbsjr

Post by RHobbsjr »

I made these up last week, I like to use rabbit hair in the winter for smallmouth, I use the fly above the football head in tandem.

I also like to fuse my own hula grubs and fuse skirts to other baits I plan to use.

I also like to tie my own flipping jigs and swim jigs, mostly because I have my preferences in head design and amount of skirting type of skirting color, and size of hook. I have not found a flipping jig that I am super crazy about that I have confidence in right out of the package.

It is very fun a rewarding and it kills time in the winter months when it rains every other day here in the Puget Sound Area of the NW.
MT

Post by MT »

Those all look nice. Where did you get that flipping jig mold btw?
RHobbsjr

Post by RHobbsjr »

I don't pour them, it's a boss head, I quit pouring weedless versions of jigs it was a pain and time consuming, I only pour my open jig heads now, plus that boss heads in my opinion is one of the best to come through brush and weeds.
ttb31183

Post by ttb31183 »

Oldschool wrote:I also like to tie my own flipping jigs and swim jigs, mostly because I have my preferences in head design and amount of skirting type of skirting color, and size of hook. I have not found a flipping jig that I am super crazy about that I have confidence in right out of the package.

It is very fun a rewarding and it kills time in the winter months when it rains every other day here in the Puget Sound Area of the NW.
Those are awesome Ron. I'm the say way and picky about hook styles, sizes and brand so this will be a good way to make exactly what I want.
Tyler Brinks