Drop Shot with Baitcaster

tlrrider

Drop Shot with Baitcaster

Post by tlrrider »

Looking for a drop shot rod that wont break the bank and I am not a fan of spinning reels. Any rec's on rod and reel combo that wont break the bank. Im a curado fan already. Thinking around 500 or less for rod and reel. Thanks.
p.s. prefer to power fish but when the other guy in the boat is roping with drop shot I gotta throw what they're biting :evil:
scott h

Re: Drop Shot with Baitcaster

Post by scott h »

I am currently using a lamiglas xp 733 with a curado g7 with 8lb test for my "forced to" drop shot needs, it is a pretty nice setup and sensitive, I am not sponsored by a rod company and am currently on the fence about switching brands but for the purpose of your question it is a pretty sweet rod for that application.
BUZZBAITS IN FEBRUARY!@#$%^&*(
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

I use a med. lite with a very parabolic action, so it loads with 1/8 oz weights without having to whip it, so the worm doesn't fly off.
It is an old G.Loomis GL3 8400 popping rod. I don't think they make them anymore, but someone else probably does.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
Diatte

Post by Diatte »

I really like my Dobyns Champion 733 or Champion Extreme 743. The 733 with a Curado I is going to put you where you want to be budget wise. Both rods balance extremely well, the 743 has a little faster tip. Also, last time I looked the 733 was on clearance at Coyote Bait and Tackle for around $180. Give them a call (408) 463-0711

Ryan
Bsapp

Post by Bsapp »

If you don't have a baitcasting rod specific for Dshotting(most don't) try using your cranking rod sounds crazy works perfectly. I've used my 705 cranking rods and they work perfectly soft parabolic plenty of back bone to set the hook. Works great try it.
FinesseKid

Post by FinesseKid »

Call Performance Tackle in Los Alamitos and ask for Marc. Tell him Jason Prewitt sent you. He wraps a KILLER drop shot rod perfect for use with a Curado 50. His stuff is in HIGH demand so you may have to wait a few weeks but it is worth it. I went to a spinning rod for drop shotting a couple of years ago but my old baitcasting drop shot setup is an AWESOME finesse shaky head rod now.
"I don’t know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

http://www.performancetackle.com
http://www.thayersmarine.com
http://www.stratosboats.com
swordfish

Post by swordfish »

When I drop shot with a baitcast I use a Powell 733, 12 # mono to a black small swivel to 30" or less 8 or 10# floro leader a great hook for a 6'' worm is a 1/0 or 2/0 rebarb hook, G Lock Gamas are good too for me its my finnesse bubba shot. Powell has a Inferno Series of rods that retail at $129 the 6 10 cb (composite) and the 703 are both super light with plenty of power and will work just fine. I have many Powell Max series rods , I have been fishing the infernos since last summer and really like them I now own 6 of them.
the best way to catch a big one is don't lose um sharp hooks set drag retie!
blkdog812
Location: "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be

Post by blkdog812 »

How about supporting a sponsor of WB & BBT
Take a look and try out the Cousins tackle High Performance "Raze" series RMB 692pt or the RMB pt732 series rods. They have a nice light tip great for drop shotting and plenty of backbone for the big girls. The are also at a great price point for your budget.

remember to "support those that help support you"
Never argue with an idiot; He'll beat you to death with stupidity.
I AM NOT SAYING THERE SHOULD BE CAPITAL PUNISHMENT FOR STUPIDITY,
BUT, WHY DON'T WE JUST TAKE THE SAFETY LABELS OFF OF EVERYTHING
AND LET THE PROBLEM SOLVE ITSELF?"
jmats

Post by jmats »

Try a phenix recon 713 or 712. They load smooth not to toss the worm plenty of moving power and extremely sensitive. The price point wont break the bank.
tankyota

Post by tankyota »

Temple Fork Tactical Series Drop shot Rod paired with a chronarch. Doesn't get any better than that.
northbass

Post by northbass »

Daiwa makes a Tatula just for drop shotting. The 6'10 Medium Xfast. It has the megatop like the steez. It has a super soft tip that leads into backbone pretty fast.
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

northbass wrote:Daiwa makes a Tatula just for drop shotting. The 6'10 Medium Xfast. It has the megatop like the steez. It has a super soft tip that leads into backbone pretty fast.
Is this the rod you're talking about: TAT6101MXB
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
tlrrider

Post by tlrrider »

Any toughts on dobyns extreme 702?
I like the powell and dobyns rods. But fear spending 300 for big name rods and being dissatisfied-alot of dinero for me