Clear Lake this week...4/18/2015

DanIsaac

Clear Lake this week...4/18/2015

Post by DanIsaac »

Clear Lake this Week 4/18/2015

Well, the bed bite is on in earnest…last week a big wave of new fish finally moved up and as witnessed by some of the weights out of the Lucas Oil event here this weekend It’s pretty clear this is the main wave. The only issue is finding clear enough water to see em’.

The first bed fish of the year for me occurred February 28th and I have seen em’ on and off since then.
However, changing water clarity has hampered some of the better areas since then. With that last rain storm came additional run-off and boom we had our first major algae bloom of the year as the water warmed. If that wasn't bad enough, the winds moved in behind it, and yes, I said algae bloom! This is way early and I suspect we’ll see it from this point on….thank you vineyards.

Anyways, this past week we saw improving water conditions in the North end and the bite began to take off as one would expect for this time of year. Hopefully, we’ll see this continue throughout the lake in the weeks to come.

Don’t stay away if your not a bed fisherman though. The first wave is coming off and fry can be seen in a number of areas, so it’s time to pick up an open water frog or buzz bait and get after a little top water action. It’s bound to happen if it already hasn’t, and this is also a good time to bring the kids out with minnows. There are still some fish staging and there are some of the early ones moving off to feed, so the ledge areas are producing some really good fish right now on the lil swimmers.

So, my advice would be the following. Get up early and get out with an LV500, or Buzz bait and hit as many of the spawning flats as you can until the sun gets up, then it’s time to put the Costa’s on and start looking for “Maureena”…….she’ll be the one with the big green lips and dark black stripe down her sides, weighing in at a mere 9 or 10lbs… :D Want to relax with the kids, or significant other? Flyline a lil swimmer.

Remember though, Catch, Photo, and Release. Re-production mounts are unbelievably good and affordable these days, so don’t carry her around in the live well unless you’re in a tournament.
ReelEx, your source for quality, professional service on your Shimano, Lews, or Revo reels.

Guaranteed 96 hr turnaround on service.
650-454-4938 http://www.reel-ex.com
Whoopbass

Re: Clear Lake this week...4/18/2015

Post by Whoopbass »

Thanks for the report. I will be heading up there tomorrow for a few days of fishing and your reports help a lot.
OU812

Post by OU812 »

Fished out of Redbud today. Stopped in to Clearlake Bait & Tackle to get my sticker, Jimmy said we would do ok with senkos and drop shots, but they were small. We fished senkos all day, must have caught 40 bass, only one small (not even 2lbs) keeper. Other boats were saying the same thing. Kept hoping the next bite would be a big one, never happened.
bassrman

Post by bassrman »

The bass factory ! millions of juvinile fish ! gonna be fun next year ! who was tha writer that said all the fish were gone in Clear Lake ?.. Ha !...