Some pics from past few times out on the Delta

Otay Michael

Some pics from past few times out on the Delta

Post by Otay Michael »

Just got back from the Delta a couple of days ago. Got to go out two times before last weekend
(taught a three day, A-Z photo class in Napa). Once with my buddy up there, and once by myself,
then got out two times this week, Mon. and Wed. (glad I did not go out Tues, man it blew didn't it?).

First day I backseated on his boat, and we got 50 we figured (me 20) on just about everything,
and fished many spot from Paradise all the way to Discovery and back. Of course it was a long day, so we had time, as we fished from 5 am. till 10 pm at night. What fun, started calm but as usual, the wind in the afternoon made it
tough. No biggies that day, but lots of 2's, 3's and 4's. Lost a couple of monsters at dusk. Got
them on crankbaits, d/s, spooks, buzzbaits, frogs, gunfish, chatters -both white (he)and black-blue (me).

Here's some from that day.

Next day I went solo out of Tower Park, my usual, and as I was beat from 17 hours the day before
(and handling a flat when we go back on my trailer) I did not start till about 3, and fished till dark

I went all top, buzzbaits, and got them all on that, except for one follow up Senko fish, a three pounder.

Here's some from that day (more scenics, as no bass went over three).

______
The day after the Napa class I was back out. Up and out at 5 am from a friends home, stayed with them in Davis
so it took awhile to get to Lodi, get the boat, then to Tower Park. So I started at 7. Started with top and did well, right off the bat.
By mid day I got into a frog bite- open water/ sparse tulles.
By 3 pm I realized, with no wind, I was about dying! Went back to Tower Park marina the dock worker asked if I knew it'd got to 103? 103???!!! No, but I knew it'd got dang hot, bu not that hot (heck, it never gets to 90 down in Del Mar). I then took a break, had an ice cold beer, rested an hour, then got back to work, I mean fun! ;/)

The nicer one this day came as the sun got lower.

Day four, two days later (Wed) we had that nice storm and rain come thru. Made for great
topwater bite and I went out from 7 till 5, and got 14, all on top.

Here some pics.

A four pounder lives in the bottom of this pic, she went airborne trying to eat the buzzbait two days earlier, but this day she did not try.

Because of the long drive (and the crossing the Grapevine mtn in East L.A.,
I usually bring the aluminum boat instead of the Skeeter. A bit slower but
saves on gas, both on the road and on the water.

Had to end early (5 pm) so I could start my trip back, to get through L.A. early enough
to beat the morning rush, about 3 am and home to San Diego a couple of hours
after that. Fun times, can't wait till August when I get to go up again, frog bite should be wide open.
Last edited by Otay Michael on Sun Jun 21, 2015 3:59 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Otay Michael

All I need to get into the money would be the four I usually get along with a 20# kicker.

Own no boring art: www.seewald.com
Name written in the book of life.
keeb

Re: Some pics from past few times out on the Delta

Post by keeb »

Beautiful fish!
george

Post by george »

Way to go Mike, Great pics of some delta quality fish! That is why I love that place and miss it dearly since moving to the middle of the desert. You can at any moment catch a ten or the biggest bag you have ever put in the boat. Afternoon and evening bites can be crazy good.

Let me know when you have an open back seat at Otay, I come through there once a month. That go's for you coming out this way toward Diamond Valley (when they open again), Skinner or Perris.

George
Otay Michael

Post by Otay Michael »

george wrote:Way to go Mike, Great pics of some delta quality fish! That is why I love that place and miss it dearly since moving to the middle of the desert. You can at any moment catch a ten or the biggest bag you have ever put in the boat. Afternoon and evening bites can be crazy good.

Let me know when you have an open back seat at Otay, I come through there once a month. That go's for you coming out this way toward Diamond Valley (when they open again), Skinner or Perris.

George
No problem George, but El Capitan has been my go to lake down here lately, here was some of last Mondays results.

All topwater too... Gunfish, Flukes, Frogs and Buzzbaits. What a blast.
Otay Michael

All I need to get into the money would be the four I usually get along with a 20# kicker.

Own no boring art: www.seewald.com
Name written in the book of life.