Bass Pro or Cabela's?

BigWorm

Bass Pro or Cabela's?

Post by BigWorm »

I have the opportunity to score some gift cards. Eventually going to buy a new trolling motor or electronics. Is there much of a difference price wise between the two? Better historic sales? Better service? Any insight would be appreciated.
ppickerell

Re: Bass Pro or Cabela's?

Post by ppickerell »

Neither one. Get a gift card from Gene at the Hook.
02 Champion 206 DC Elite
Bobber Lobber
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

I have purchased my last few electronics through Cabelas - but in all fairness i am not usually getting the most recent technology. I prefer Cabelas over BPS.
- JaJa Jigs - Get THUNKED
Links to Check Out -
https://www.instagram.com/jm_ash/
https://www.bestbasstournaments.com/
TonyM

Post by TonyM »

I try hard not to support Bass Pro Shops. I don't like what I see happening to the independent tackle shops in areas where they go in. One of the local, independent shops closed soon after the Manteca store went in, and I don't see nearly the people or inventory in another that is currently still holding on. I'm afraid their days are numbered. It's a shame, since BPS doesn't compare with the knowledge or local expertise the small shops usually offer. If I wanted walleye gear, I'd go to Bass Pro...hah!. Just my .02.
DDG

Post by DDG »

BPS pricing is not as competitive and seriously don't have the greatest selection of gear. They don't carry Lews or specialty rods
2833-34497

Post by 2833-34497 »

I prefer Cabela's over BPS, but BPS will price match if you ask. Just give them who and how much so they can confirm it and once confirmed they match. Took me ~24 hours before they confirmed. I had gift cards to BPS given to me so thats how I found out by asking, otherwise I'd have picked Cabela's.
fishwithron2

Post by fishwithron2 »

xxxxxxxx
Last edited by fishwithron2 on Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
BigWorm

Post by BigWorm »

Thanks for the feedback. I normally do support local business as much as possible. I have work related incentive rewards "points" that I can purchase any number of things on some online out fit. They happen to have Gift cards for both stores at same value. That is the only reason for the question.
Sounds like Cabela's is the way to go in this case.
reddog

Post by reddog »

I'm staying out of this as much as possible BUT, ask yourself who is supporting your local fishing circuits or even providing opportunities for tournaments etc. Then think about how much $$$$ you have spent on gear at you local retailer. In the end BPS is a bit more expensive however will price match if you want to deal with that, the best option is to support your CLOSEST LOCAL retailer that gives back to your sport, i.e. Go to the HOOK. Gene is ALWAYS involved and whether you just bought $2000 in electronics or $5 on a crankbait he will give you accurate and free advice.
DDG

Post by DDG »

^ +1 anyone who supports bass fishing SHOULD be considered okay.
drew

Post by drew »

Tackle Warehouse typically has the best prices.
BigWorm wrote:I have the opportunity to score some gift cards. Eventually going to buy a new trolling motor or electronics. Is there much of a difference price wise between the two? Better historic sales? Better service? Any insight would be appreciated.
BadBill

Post by BadBill »

I think some of you are missing the point he has to use Bass Pro or Cabela's these are his only options. If he lives in Ca. he can order from Cabela's and not have to pay sales tax. Might even get free shipping on a trolling motor.
Robb R

Post by Robb R »

I buy from both , and I support the locals as much as possible . I started purchasing from BPS in the mid seventies ---when effectively they were the only "big " bass retailer and it was mostly mail order .
Today , BPS is a typical large retailer that focuses more on clothes and knick- knacks , and the bass stuff is just another part of it .
The real problem with BPS is the same as other really large retailers ---getting good help that will work for minimum wage is getting more and more difficult ---thus ---customer service suffers and then the reputation of the retailer takes a big hit .
Cabela's has a little better service because they are smaller --- BPS has more products to offer .
Locally , BPS is opening a store in San Jose , can't wait to see how they do ----- and yes I will most likely buy a new depth finder there because I too have a bunch of gift certificates .
tight lines ,
Robb