Prep for upcoming FLW

TravisH

Prep for upcoming FLW

Post by TravisH »

Hey there guys, its that time of year when a lot of TOCS',Owner events and the FLW are held at Clear Lake..This means that there will be a lot of freshest data will be coming out so make sure you Update your Navionics mapping cards before your upcoming events on Clear Lake... I know I will be updating my cards right before practice an the night before the event because I want an edge over the competition..
Attachments
Screenshot_2015-08-11-08-30-32.png
Vernonn

Re: Prep for upcoming FLW

Post by Vernonn »

Travis,

What types of changes do you expect to see on your map when you update it? I thought these maps were just a bunch of contour lines of the bottom. Is there more that this?
rickyshabazz

Post by rickyshabazz »

Vernonn,
There are guys like myself, Travis and others that are out on the lake doing sonar logging which is recording and updating information for the lake. I can tell you that I have logged 20-30 hours on Clear Lake and the map of the lake was/is updated as a result of the time on the water. People ask questions about if sonar logging really works. Simple answer is YES. First picture before sonar logging and second is after. Bottom line is that sonar logging equals more detailed mapping to find the spot on the spot. Navionics

The Wanabepro
TravisH

Post by TravisH »

Goodmorning Vernonn,

My good friend Ricky hit the nail on the head! When your updating your card with the freshest data you are getting the most recent up to date data that has been recorded. As Ricky said, there a a lot of us out on the water doing sonar logs so when it comes to these bigger events like the FLW Ricky and myself will be putting a lot of time on the water an we will be recording while we are on the lake so that means you will see a change in the contours mapped on Clear Lake..You are right about the Navionics showing the contour lines an it will also show a 3d overlay of the bottom features with the Platinum card and as far as freshest data updates it comes from us doing real time recordings which gives you a lot more defined contours instead of getting a map made from satellite imagining.
TravisH

Post by TravisH »

Here is a comparison I dug out of my sonar logging archive... This is a before (left) and after (right) comparison of an area on Clear Lake that we sonar logged and loaded for a freshest data update.
Attachments
Screenshot_2015-09-24-07-20-05-1 (1).png
Vernonn

Post by Vernonn »

Thanks for the explanation. I've been noticing changes over last year just on my iPhone Navionics app. I had some ideas of where these updates were coming from, but now we know. It sounds like crowd based data gathering that is the new internet buzzword.

Thanks!

-vernon
rickyshabazz

Post by rickyshabazz »

As Travis said, the update are amazing and meant to help anglers get the most update information. I am glad to hear that you are using the phone app because the webapp and phone app are update live unlike the sd card which has to be plugged into a computer and updated. You would be amazed at how many people don't ever update their sd cards.
The Wanabepro
BMX Bassin

Post by BMX Bassin »

What card do I need?
If I were to buy one how long do I get free updates?
Thanks
BMX Mike
rickyshabazz

Post by rickyshabazz »

I would suggest a Platinum + West card. You will have access to free updates for a year and then it is $99 a year.
The Wanabepro
NoCAL

Post by NoCAL »

Can one of you experts provide some detail of how to do Sonar Updates? I have been fishing a lot at Berryessa and doing a lot of scanning but have no idea how to upload the scans. HDS Gen3 with Hotmaps Platinum. BTW, I love the lake level offset and shallow water shading features.

Thanks,
NoCAL
TravisH

Post by TravisH »

Yes Sir, its fairly simple to do. Go to NAVIONICS.COM then click on the Downloads & Updates box in the top right corner of your screen then when prompted you want to click the Load Chart installer. After the chart installer is downloaded to your computer then go to the top right corner of your screen and Login or set up a new log in if you don't already have a login set up. This will just ask for a nick name, email & password then will want to know what graph you are using your Navionics card in.. Now your all set up in the system and ready to upload sonar logs or download freshest data. Now that your set up click updates&downloads again and then you plug in your sd card that you have saved your sonar log recordings into your computer or lap top and a box will pop up an say there are however many sonar logs you have recorded and all you do is hit the upload button at the bottom of the box and it will start uploading and then when its done it will pop up that the uploads are complete.. Then you will receive an email from Navionics letting you know your sonar logs are being processed.

One quick note when going to Navionics.com on your internet browser, If your using Chrome we Highly recommend downloading and using Mozilla Fire Fox (its free) when it comes to updating or downloading.

Travis Huckaby
NoCAL

Post by NoCAL »

Thanks! I have been doing the updates on a monthly basis. I just wanted to know how to upload. Also, I thought I saw something where if you have a phone app connected to the Gen 3 by Bluetooth, it will update in real time as you scan. Have to figure out how to do that. With the lakes so low, it would be nice to get the contour lines to say the correct depth. I think it will do this if I get everything right.

NoCAL
TravisH

Post by TravisH »

Gotcha! Yes you are correct, there is a to record an upload in real time via wifi with the Gen 3. Heres a link for ya to check out..

http://navionics.force.com/kb/articles/ ... earch&pn=1
NoCAL

Post by NoCAL »

Thanks. That's exactly what I want to do.

NoCAL
Robb R

Post by Robb R »

This is a great post . But I have a few questions and comments . How were the original maps created ? What type of accuracy is there between the original maps versus data logging from our own units ? Here is why I ask . I live I Silicon Valley and sold for the leading Semiconductor supplier of the actual chips that are used in fish finders , car GPS's etc... The best accuracy of commercial GPS chips is + - 1 meter . Compare that to the accuracy of the GPS designed and used by Trimble Navigation (original GPS systems company--- and used for Government projects and mapping ) at + - 1 centimeter. If the original maps were created by accuracy from a product like Trimble Navigation , then re-created from commercial units by data logging , the maps will only create and update an inaccurate setting .
In late 2009 or 2010 , there was an attempt to let the commercial GPS companies have access to the same accuracy and signals that were used by the Government ( via coordinating additional satellites and settings ) but I do not think that was past .
Robb