help with prop for my bass boat

Bass_Master

help with prop for my bass boat

Post by Bass_Master »

Alright I just purchase my nitro 17 1994 with a 115 meek on it what size prop to get mines kind of banged up. I can go 45 mph but was thinking a new prop could make it go a little faster..lmk I'm a newbie anything will help thanks
Tony M

Re: help with prop for my bass boat

Post by Tony M »

Call Phil's Propeller at Shasta. They will recommend the proper prop for your boat and motor.
(800) 462-3917
Bass_Master

Post by Bass_Master »

Will do thanks.
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

One thing to remember is that your 115 has a lot of hours on it, so it may be smart not to try and squeeze every mph/rpm out if it, if that means possibly damaging it.
I just saw the Merc. repower email, and new motors are not cheap.
I would certainly bring that up with whoever you're talking to about repropping, just to get their best advice.
Having a slightly faster boat that's broke down is really hard to fish out of.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
scott39

Post by scott39 »

I had a 96 with 125. I think 45 is ok for that boat. A jack plate may help. Mine did not have one. Best I could do was 50.
Dobyns Rods
Champion Jon

Post by Champion Jon »

Thats a good speed for a 115 and a 17' boat. You could get your current prop cleaned up by a prop shop if need be. I used to have a similar set up and it sounds like your on track with speed.
Lugnut

Post by Lugnut »

www.bassboatcentral.com

Check out the forums there, they have a ton of information on prop / boat setup that may help.
Don't ask about my username, all I need to say is check yours and check them often.

HomeBrew Tackle Co.
Bass_Master

Post by Bass_Master »

Oh ok so cruising at 45 is pretty normal speed for a healthy 115 mercury on a 17 foot.I'm super happy with it but just thought it could do just a tad more like 50 or low 50..I'm fine just with 45 lol..thanks all who chimmed in with input
Champion Jon

Post by Champion Jon »

Yea dude! Fish on! Enjoy your boat. The 17 footer with a 115 is a nice economical set up. I miss mine when I'm at the pump for sure!
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

I'd get that motor checked out for hrs if possible and also run a compression ck. Change the impeller and new plugs wouldn't hurt either. You do not want to run WOT all the time especially on an older motor. I have a 20' with a 225, tops out at 67 but mostly I run 40-45. You can get a lot out of a 115 if you just don't push it hard. Unless you're in a tournament situation where you NEED to get somewhere fast, just relax and enjoy the ride and save some money on break downs and ALSO on fuel comumpsion !! Enjoy your Nitro and just go fishin' !!
2007 "Numb Nut"

Ranger Boats-Mercury Motors
Minnkota Ultrex -TRP Batterys
Raymarine - Troll Bridge
Gloomis - Shimano
Pepper Jigs - Robo Worms
Bassman53

Post by Bassman53 »

Your going to need a few numbers to get accurate information on getting a new prop. What is your RPM at WOT (wide open throttle) What is the operating RPM spec for your motor? Pitch of current prop.
Ok say your motor RPM range is 4750-5250 and have a 23p prop and you are only able to get 4500 WOT, your prop would be too big (pitch too high), you would drop to a 21 or 22 to bring RPM up. If you go over RPM range you need to go up on pitch to a 24 or 25. Every 1 pitch change will add or decrease RPM by aprox 200 RPM. If you are in your RPM range you may want to look towards a jack plate or motor height set up.
Bass_Master

Post by Bass_Master »

That's the thing my rpm be bouncing around all over err the place I think it's broken lol so I wouldn't be able to get a number there..I can find out on the pitch of prop I got now..
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Mitch wrote:I'd get that motor checked out for hrs if possible and also run a compression ck. Change the impeller and new plugs wouldn't hurt either. You do not want to run WOT all the time especially on an older motor. I have a 20' with a 225, tops out at 67 but mostly I run 40-45. You can get a lot out of a 115 if you just don't push it hard. Unless you're in a tournament situation where you NEED to get somewhere fast, just relax and enjoy the ride and save some money on break downs and ALSO on fuel comumpsion !! Enjoy your Nitro and just go fishin' !!
Exactly. You can't red line an older motor without a really good chance of breaking something. Leave yourself an RPM cushion, so you're not straining 20+ year old engine parts. Remember, the newer motors with "Smart" systems have built-in safety systems to protect the motor in case of a loss of oil pressure or a loss of water pressure. An engine the age of yours, while it may be smooth as a baby's butt, has not such automatic protections, so a loss of pressure in any of it's systems can be catastrophic.
I would hate to see you wind up blowing your big engine, just for a few more RPMs or MPH.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
bayscotter

Post by bayscotter »

You're good. I have a 115 mercy on a 17 feet that is 10 years old. It'll go 50+ if I want it to but I like to cruise at 35 and look at bikinis
Oldschool

Post by Oldschool »

Talk to Phil's as suggested.
Speed is more about proper weight distribution and planing surfaces. If the engine has severe vibration from prop damage that needs to be fixed.
Tom