What swimbait is best for a beginner???

crazychuy

What swimbait is best for a beginner???

Post by crazychuy »

To All,

I'm asking the experts this question to see what your opinions are on this question, please.

What do you feel is the best swimbait for a beginner looking to get into swimbaiting and learn?

Thanks,
Tony
offduty

Re: What swimbait is best for a beginner???

Post by offduty »

That is a really hard question to answer as it depends on what forage you have and what the bass are doing. I started with a 7" Stocker Trout and fished it for a few days for nothing. Then I got a 7 and 9 in the same day and got really hooked. Match the forage and fish the proper part of the water column. Sometimes draggin real slow is hot and sometimes they want it fast on top, depends on their metabolism I guess. there are a lot of options on technique and baits.

Rich
Rich
bassdaddy

Post by bassdaddy »

I agree with what Rich said, but I got a different take from your question. As with all presentations, you're not going to get many guys to agree with what is "the best" as there are just too many good baits out there not to create a vast array of opinions. To answer your question, I'd have to know what style of fisherman you are. For example...if you are wired up for dragging plastics slowly, you might want to consider a Huddleston. You drag that bait around slowly enough in good places you will eventually find what you're looking for. Now, if you're more of a crankbait/reaction bait type guy...you might want to consider something like a Mattlure HardGill in slow sink. You will be fishing that bait in much different depths than lets say a Hud ROF 12, but you still have a great chance to whack big fish all year round. You are definitely going to want to fish a swimbait you enjoy using in a style you have confidence in because if you're like most of us, going to larger baits can definitely create days with much less action than you are used to. :cry:
Tree
Tin Can

Post by Tin Can »

First off I am far from an expert, but a good place to start would be just about any top hook soft trout bait in 6-8" range slow rolled always making contact with the bottom and fish it uphill. There are tons of choices of baits out there, just pick a few and start slinging em.
thukidad

Post by thukidad »

swimbait can be kind of scary and disappointing when you first start.. i would start off with something small like Mattlures baby bass series.. worked very well for me in the delta..
Cmarkfish

Post by Cmarkfish »

These guys have all great tips for you. My take at this time of the year is a floater and twitched very slow on the surface by ambush points, across bouys, tulles, stick-ups, dams if you can fish by them. There is always that one bass ready to chew. maybe set one rod up with a floating bait and one with a sinker type to cover all the water. He is a story for what color or type. I was fishing a club tournament at Clear Lake. Now we had gotten our limit and I broke out a 12in Castaic floater in a trout pattern. My partner who was part of the non converted on using swim baits(lol), told me there are no trout in these waters. I was about to answer him when this huge explosion hit the water. He said what was that? I told him it was that bass that did not eat trout. It was a six pounder and a made a new believer out of my partner.So you just never know. Just keep thowing. tight lines mark Chief torrez :mrgreen:
http://www.optimumbaits.com
http://www.VCBASS.org
http://www.cronies.com
http://www.coastalemb.net
http://www.calbfn.com
B.A.S.S. Nation
State Champion 2007
California State B.A.S.S NATION PRESIDENT
WON BASSIN

Post by WON BASSIN »

Hands down....

MS Slammer.... 1 - 7" single joint in baby Bass, and 1 - 7" two joint in Baby Bass. If you want to step it up, then get a 9" x3. When I started swim bait fishing, I spent one full year only fishing the three mentioned baits. It took me 4 months before I got that first hit, but let me tell you I have never looked back since. That Baby Bass pattern worked in every situation on every different condition, throughout the entire year. There are 100 ways to retrieve the same bait, just got to find your rhythm.
Billy Egan
WON Bass Director
bille@wonews.com
949-366-0248
G-unit

Post by G-unit »

Hudd ROF 12. I think the Castaic Baits are pretty fun to throw and easy to find at your local sporting goods stores. I also would recommend the Cracker or Small Cracker by BlackDog Baits. I know it's not a "Swimbait", but it is fun to throw, catches quality fish and will keep your moral up when the big stuff stagnates.
The Hard Deck for this Hop is 10 pounds
BigWorm

Post by BigWorm »

The 6" Rising son is a very easy bait to get used to throwing. It is a bait that fishes high in the water column, so it has its limits. But throwing it like a spinnerbait around shallow cover will get bit on any lake.