1999 Chevy Suburban ??

Share vehicle info.
CORAL 96

1999 Chevy Suburban ??

Post by CORAL 96 »

I'm wondering why I keep getting a check engine light coming on? These are the items I have changed in the last 6 months plugs, wires, K&N drop in filter, fuel filter and 2 O2 sensors. Last time it did this was on a grade heading from Vegas up to St George, Ut. The light came on & there was a foul smell probably coming from the cats. Could I have a plugged up cat now? It does have 125,000 miles now but it did pass smog about 6 months ago. I guess if all else fails I could go have it checked at a Pep-Boys, Kragens, or Autozone. Was just wondering though if anyone else has had this happen. Thanks!! 8) 8)
DAKINE198

Re: 1999 Chevy Suburban ??

Post by DAKINE198 »

My 97 did the same thing after I put ARCO gas in, the cats core fried. It was due to a combination of things, O2's went bad and the injectors clogged partly due to cheap gas. Plus I had my reprogrammer turned all the way up. Question, Did you replace the O2's with factory parts or aftermarkets? I have had customers replace O2's with aftermarkets becuase they were cheaper and in 6 or 7 months come back to me to buy OEM parts becuase the A/M parts failed.
CORAL 96

Post by CORAL 96 »

I used the Bosch 02 sensors. Those should be O.K. I think the next time the light comes on, I'll take it down to get the code read. Could just keep spending money, but that hasn't yet fixed the problem. Thanks DAKINE198!!! 8)
Bill Hutcheson

Post by Bill Hutcheson »

I have a 99 350 4x4 2500 with 155K on it and have had the same issues. I tell my wife, who now drives the truck to fill with Super when the light comes on. It usually goes out within the tankful.

It unfortunately though re-appears randomly (usually if the tank gets to 1/4 full or less) and despite multiple code readers, the dealership has been unable to pinpoint the issue.

A great truck, but she's a bit tired to be towing my Z20 so I stepped up to a Ford Excursion 4x4 6.0 diesel.

Good luck with yours.

Hutch
WON BASS
Make it idiot proof and someone will invent a better idiot
Hollywood

Post by Hollywood »

Now that is a tow truck there hutch!!! Love it!@