4th Year of Mandatory California Boater Card program Phase In

WB Staff

4th Year of Mandatory California Boater Card program Phase In

Post by WB Staff »

Boater-Card-Apply-Now-No-Click-Here.jpg
The California Boater Card shows that its holder has successfully taken and passed a NASBLA/state-approved boater safety education examination. In 2018, the California Boater Card program began the phase-in by age for operators of motorized boats on state waterways.

For information on mandatory boating safety education requirements for each state, click here.

In California, each year a new age group is being added to those who are required to possess a valid card. By 2025, all persons who operate on California waters will be required to have one. Once issued, the card remains valid for a boat operator’s lifetime. California Harbors and Navigation Code Section 678.11(b) contains the following phase-in schedule based on operator age:

January 1, 2018 – Persons 20 years of age or younger
January 1, 2019 – Persons 25 years of age or younger
January 1, 2020 – Persons 35 years of age or younger
January 1, 2021 – Persons 40 years of age or younger
January 1, 2022 – Persons 45 years of age or younger
January 1, 2023 – Persons 50 years of age or younger
January 1, 2024 – Persons 60 years of age or younger
January 1, 2025 – All persons regardless of age
The card is issued by the California State Parks Division of Boating and Waterways (DBW). DBW began issuing the California Boater Card on Dec. 1, 2017. The lifetime card fee is $10. The lost card replacement fee is $5.

Once DBW has received your application, proof of education and payment, you will receive a 90-day temporary boater card by email. You should receive your official boater card by mail within 60 days.

+California age restrictions for operating a motorized vessel: According to California Harbors and Navigation Code Section 658.5, NO person under 16 years of age may operate a boat with a motor of more than 15 horsepower, except for a sailboat that does not exceed 30 feet in length or a dinghy used directly between a moored boat and the shore (or between two moored boats).

https://californiaboatercard.com/about-the-card/
Ain

Re: 4th Year of Mandatory California Boater Card program Phase In

Post by Ain »

Shove this card up the newsome’s ***! 🖕🏻
PeteD

Post by PeteD »

More Bureaucracy, and tracking. Another Tax.
bass king

Post by bass king »

Agreed. This is complete and utter horse shi7. I was booted off a local lake for not having my boater card last year: on a small aluminum with a trolling motor only. I've witnessed people not even be able to back down their trailer, let alone drive a ski/wake board boat responsibly.

Ridiculous. I see the intent of having a "boater card" but to base it on your age is ridiculous. Your age doesn't have anything to do with your experience boating or knowledge of boating.
MichaelB

Post by MichaelB »

The Boater Card course was actually useful and informative, While we can all agree that bass boat operators are usually more knowledgeable and experienced ....... It is the young numbnuts operating ski boats that need the safety course
Fast Eddie

Post by Fast Eddie »

Sooooo, does this mean that those guys from Arizona, Nevada, Oregon, and Washington will be illegally operating their vessels during tournaments? Just asking. And what about enforcement, Fines etc?
MichaelB

Post by MichaelB »

Fast Eddie wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 8:06 am Sooooo, does this mean that those guys from Arizona, Nevada, Oregon, and Washington will be illegally operating their vessels during tournaments? Just asking. And what about enforcement, Fines etc?
Thats a great question for out of state boaters ...... I was surprised to hear that guys were getting shook down at a ramp without a "boater card". One would think law enforcement resources would have better things to do.
steve black

Post by steve black »

I moved from the Central Valley in CA, a few years back to Oregon, and yes I needed to take the boating test regardless of age or experience of operating a water craft. More than likely the outer staters that are serious about fishing tournaments own the card. IMOP the cost of the test out weighs the issues that we have of owners that can afford a water craft with out any experience operating one.
I remember many times at Don Pedro and McClure watching the launch ramps for free entertainment lol There’s more than you think that shouldn’t be operating any thing mechanical .
monte300

Post by monte300 »

steve black wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 10:37 am I moved from the Central Valley in CA, a few years back to Oregon, and yes I needed to take the boating test regardless of age or experience of operating a water craft. More than likely the outer staters that are serious about fishing tournaments own the card. IMOP the cost of the test out weighs the issues that we have of owners that can afford a water craft with out any experience operating one.
I remember many times at Don Pedro and McClure watching the launch ramps for free entertainment lol There’s more than you think that shouldn’t be operating any thing mechanical .
Just like the grandstands at Orwood! :mrgreen:
nate50

Post by nate50 »

What course or courses do I need to take? It’s not very clear which course to take
JakeV77

Post by JakeV77 »

nate50 wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 7:07 pm What course or courses do I need to take? It’s not very clear which course to take
I took the Boat US course, took about 4hrs. It actually seemed pretty useful especially the on the water rules as far as navigating around other vessels. Lots of common sense stuff.
MichaelB

Post by MichaelB »

nate50 wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 7:07 pm What course or courses do I need to take? It’s not very clear which course to take
You can get the course handbook and the "test" for $10 and do it yourself at home.
Mail in the completed test forms ..... they grade and send you card.
https://boatercard.parks.ca.gov/Application

You can also take an online "traffic school" type course ....... these you have to pay for.
https://californiaboatercard.com/courses/

https://californiaboatercard.com/about-the-card/
Daves

Post by Daves »

So, I thought about this and realized that I was most upset about "more regulations" and not the $$ aspect. I got online and paid for the most expedient route to obtain the card. Paid $24 to take the course which takes several hours then took their 60 question test. After completion you send test certificate and $10 to the state and your done. Lots of offshore and large boat questions I didn't know so I learned something. Overall wasn't too bad. It is a lifetime card and does insure at least awareness of many valuable points that many of us take for granted as common knowledge. and, it is more regulation. DS
Jboutfishn

Post by Jboutfishn »

Some states have reciprocal boater cards. My Grandson has the card from Georgia and it is good in California. Oh, he backs down any long ramp with the best of them (good teacher). :lol: