797 no longer finding the bottom

Moderators: Doug Vahrenberg, Triton Mike

Gimpy

797 no longer finding the bottom

Post by Gimpy »

In my boat I am running two Humminbird units. A 585 up front and a 787 in the console.
My 787 no longer finds the bottom always reporting we are in a depth of 400 - 528 feet.
The unit is also producing a loud 'clicking' noise, assuming it is the sounder.

While in the drive way:
I pulled the 787C unit from the dash and placed it in them mount in the front of the boat. The unit did not product the same clicking noise and registered about 3 ft. The same as the 585 does.
That made me consider it might be a bad transducer, so to try and confirm this I plugged in the 585 into the console wiring. The unit did NOT produce any clicking noises and registered approx 3.5 feet.

So now I am back to not knowing how to diagnose the unit. Any help would be appreciated. I did send a note to Humminbird production support but have not heard back yet.
Any old seven pounder will make my day better...
Doug Vahrenberg

Re: 797 no longer finding the bottom

Post by Doug Vahrenberg »

You have to test in the water to test sonar but cross testing is the correct thing to do. It will help diagnosis where the concern is.

Skeeter, Yamaha, MinnKota, Humminbird, Dobyns, LakeMaster, Transducer Shield & Saver, LuckyCraft, Daiwa, Dave's Custom Baits, OMEGA Tackle, Elite Tungsten, Angler Innovation, Massey Ferguson
Gimpy

Post by Gimpy »

Tested on the water:

I pulled the 787C unit from the dash and placed it in the mount in the front of the boat (where I normally have my 585). The unit did not product the same clicking noise and registered the bottom / fish. The same as the 585 does.

That made me consider it might be a bad transducer, so to try and confirm this I plugged in the 585 into the console wiring. The unit did NOT produce any clicking noises and work fine. I ran this set up for about 15 minutes to see if anything would change. Each unit seemed to work fine.

When I moved the consoles back to their original configuration I had the same issues as before. I did identify a little corrosion on one pin in the transducer cable. I cleaned the pin up, but did not have any change in the results.
Doug Vahrenberg

So the 787c worked fine on the front transducer locating the bottom? But not at the Console but the 585 works at both locations?

If so you have a connection issue with the 787c and the rear transducer.

Skeeter, Yamaha, MinnKota, Humminbird, Dobyns, LakeMaster, Transducer Shield & Saver, LuckyCraft, Daiwa, Dave's Custom Baits, OMEGA Tackle, Elite Tungsten, Angler Innovation, Massey Ferguson
Gimpy

Post by Gimpy »

Doug Vahrenberg wrote:So the 787c worked fine on the front transducer locating the bottom? But not at the Console but the 585 works at both locations?

If so you have a connection issue with the 787c and the rear transducer.

That's correct. the 787 worked fine up front and the 585 worked on both. Since the interface to the transducer is the same, what would you suggest my next step be?
If I send the unit back for service, what would they do that would change the connection? Since the unit work on another transducer, and the existing transducer works with another unit. would a 'fixed' unit end up with the same problem over the next year? Or do I need to send the unit in for service and buy a third transducer?
Doug Vahrenberg

I would check the reat transducer connector and fit into the 787c. Doesn't sound like you have a unit or transducer concern just concern with the fitting of those two items since cross testing confirms this.