Bass boat suggestions

wetpaws

Bass boat suggestions

Post by wetpaws »

I’ve in the market for a good used bass boat. I did find a 98 Skeeter zx 202c with a Yamaha 200 VMax. The boat is pretty clean but I’ve discovered some issues and I’d really appreciate your input.
1. Carpet was replaced, hinges were not installed on all lids.
2. Missing gas shocks for all of the lids.
3. Trim gauge not working.
4. Lights not working.
5. Livewell switches not working( owner says he hooks wires up to battery when he needs livewells.
6. Needs Battery

I do realize that I may need to fix some items but I’m a little apprehensive because of the electrical. I did offer a little less than asking price because of items but the seller won’t come down. Do I run or try to work a deal?
JoeLanghans

Re: Bass boat suggestions

Post by JoeLanghans »

Sounds pretty normal for a 21 year old boat. As long as the engine compression and power tilt works, you’ll be ok.
Kgish

Post by Kgish »

The thing I would get out of those sorts of visible issues is the current owner didn't always do repair jobs to perfection.
You may find other things that need fixed down the road if you want things done right.
Be sure the hull doesn't show stress cracks or there aren't hidden major issues and the motor runs strong with a on the water test.
You can ring out the wiring and reconnect it to switches or pull in new wire if need be. Wiring is time consuming but not unfixable yourself.
wetpaws

Post by wetpaws »

Okay, that makes me feel better. The seller says that the motor was serviced last year. Apparently he is the 2nd owner with the original owner only using the boat very little until sold. I do feel that the price is fair for the boat.
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

Walk away !!
2007 "Numb Nut"

Ranger Boats-Mercury Motors
Minnkota Ultrex -TRP Batterys
Raymarine - Troll Bridge
Gloomis - Shimano
Pepper Jigs - Robo Worms
zdbm2004

Post by zdbm2004 »

I’d run away without even seeing the boat. Sounds like you gotta BOAT (break out another thousand) right off the bat. Check out the 98 Basscat Jaguar in here. That looks like a clean well kept boat with some nice upgrades.
Good luck
zmyers
ginodnjoe

Post by ginodnjoe »

I agree with most of the replies. If the cosmetic issues were ignored then the mechanicle issues may have been ignored. Hold out, you'll know the right boat when you see it. I run an 03' Skeeter ZX225. I've had it 5 years. It had 85 hours on it when I bought it. It looks and runs like new. These type of boats are out there. There are guys that are diligent with maintenance. That's what you want to look for in a used boat.
03' Skeeter ZX225