Best battery setup

DegenB

Best battery setup

Post by DegenB »

Hey guys I’m wondering what all your thoughts are on the best battery system for your bass boat?
I’m interested in putting lithium in my boat for the reason humming bird recommended them to get the best performance out of the graphs also lead acid just can’t keep up with the power demand on running two solixs and a garmin it’s a constant battle. But Yamaha and mercury say do not run a lithium as a starting battery. But there a few lithium batteries that claim you would have no problems.
So I’m on the fence run all 4 lithiums from ionic which are the 125 ah or run 4 lithiums and a Agm have the agm just for a starting battery and run the power poles lights etc. and have a lithium just for the graphs also do you think it’s necessary to have 125 ah lithiums for an 112lb thrust ultrex or are guy making it all day on the 50 ahs thanks
ahein

Re: Best battery setup

Post by ahein »

Hi, I run 3 ionic 50ah for my 36vt ghost and I have plenty of juice left over at the end of the day. My batteries are still at 70 to 80% after fishing all day. I run a 125 ah for my starter battery, graphs, live wells and nav lights. When I get off the water, I’m around 50 to 60%. I’ve had no issues running an ionic as a starter battery. I have a Mercury optimax. Can’t speak for other brands. I called and asked Ionic before I purchased. They have great customer service. Hope that helps a little.
drew

Post by drew »

I would run lithium's for the TM and a Odyssey/Northsatr 31 for everything else. I have had an issue with a lithium in my track car. The lithiums have high discharge and charge rates. The high charge rate burn out my alternator's regulator which took out everything else.
Ceowen01

Post by Ceowen01 »

I also run 3 ionic 50ah batteries for my ghost; I plugged into a dead outlet after a long windy day of practice w/ plenty of current on the Delta and didn't realize it until the next morning. So the next morning happened to be day 1 of a large derby and my batteries at the start of the day were already at 43%. I fished similar conditions all day, taking the battery down to 8%. At 8% those batteries performed just as good as they do at 100% and after several years they're still performing just as well.

As far as the staring battery goes; I have a 2016 Mercury 2 stroke 250, I run a ionic 125ah battery w/ 2 Talons, three 12" Live's, active target, (I had livesight at the time of the above derby), pumps, etc. and still had enough juice to fish the second day without issue, although I don't recall the exact % left at the end of day two. Typically I have around 55-70% left after a full day of fishing. I have no affiliation with ionic and I can’t speak for other brands but I'm a happy lithium customer.

The only problem I have had with ionic is that 1 LED light on their charger went out, it doesn't matter though because they are bluetooth and I can see on my phone if they are charging or not. Either way I let them know and they offered to send me a complete new charger just for that $0.01 LED light, (which they have since upgraded their LED lights on). I declined; however, that's about the best customer service I've ever experienced in the battery world and I've been through several brands of batteries.

I hope this novel helps
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

I would reach out to Kevin Johnson owner of Nextgen Batteries and see what he recommends. Kevin used to be a NCBF and Westernbass.com regular back in the day.

anglerschannel.com/ish-monroe-joins-next-gen-lithium-batteries-pro-staff
- JaJa Jigs - Get THUNKED
Links to Check Out -
https://www.instagram.com/jm_ash/
https://www.bestbasstournaments.com/
Mike

Post by Mike »

I have NextGen and they are Great
OG on WB since 1993
Redmond301

Post by Redmond301 »

I run 2 ionic 50ah lithiums for my 24volt Ultrex trolling and just a lead acid deep cycle for the boat and the noco 3 bank charger with no issues saved me almost 100lbs and after two full days on the delta the ionic"s still had 50% left!!
Double-G

Post by Double-G »

I'm a stickler for eliminating any issues that may occur on while on the water or on the road. So I have back ups for back ups. I run NextGen lithium batteries in my BassCat which has room for 4 batteries. For my Crank battery I use a Group 31 AGM, only my engine is used on this connection.
Next is my boat, all of my electronics as well as live wells and lights are connected to a NextGen 100 amp hour Cranking battery with 1200 CCA. This setup allows me to have a backup cranking battery if something happens to the main crank bat.
Next is my Trolling motor set up, I use 2 - 36 Volt NextGen batteries these are 40 amp hour batteries. I use this setup linked in parallel so I maintain the 36 volts but double the amp hours to 80. If I have a failure with one unit the other will continue to provide service.
Next key component is the NextGen Stealth Charger, once the Crank battery gets up to 80% capacity the charger diverts some of the energy to the trolling motor batteries. The main battery charger is a Noco 10X2 I hook one lead to the main crank battery set on AGM and the other lead is set to lithium and is connected to the Nextgen Cranking battery. And when the AGM crank battery reaches 80% capacity again the stealth charger will divert some of the energy to charge the trolling motor batteries.
With this setup, I have a back up for the Cranking battery, I have a long lasting battery to run all of my electronics and livewell pumps. I have a 36V battery to run my Trolling motor as well as a backup, and I have a charging system that runs off of my main motor, and a backup charging unit/system that tops off the trolling motor batts after it delivers a charge to the cranking and electronics batteries.
Sounds easy right? If you guys want to check it out hit me up at the dock or in the parking lot, I'll give you the run down!
Greg Gutierrez
Frenzy Baits
JL

Post by JL »

As ALWAYS! Double G is the STRAIGHT SHOOTER!⁰
DanIsaac

Post by DanIsaac »

https://ioniclithiumbatteries.com/

Check these guys out. Amazing customer service and very straight forward to deal with, and NO I’m not sponsored by them. Dan
ReelEx, your source for quality, professional service on your Shimano, Lews, or Revo reels.

Guaranteed 96 hr turnaround on service.
650-454-4938 http://www.reel-ex.com
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

Which ever way you decide, look into the Troll Bridge from Yandina. Charges you Trolling batteries when the big motor is running and makes sure it starts EVERYTIME !!! They have one for Lithium too !!

http://www.yandina.com/index.htm
2007 "Numb Nut"

Ranger Boats-Mercury Motors
Minnkota Ultrex -TRP Batterys
Raymarine - Troll Bridge
Gloomis - Shimano
Pepper Jigs - Robo Worms
basshol

Post by basshol »

So nex gen sells a kit with 1 36v battery and a stealth charger. They say this all you need.. so the question is will 1 trolling motor battery las all day or do you need 2
Jon@RMP

Post by Jon@RMP »

I would recommend a Group 31 AGM battery for your cranking application and go with a AMPED 100ah lithium for your electronics.

We have had great feedback on the AMPED products. Make sure you are running dedicated power to get the most out of your setup.

Alexphon

Post by Alexphon »

Guys I have 2 36vlt 50amp lithium and I run one down every time I fish the delta. How do you guys get so much run time? I had to get a 2nd 36vlt to last my fishing day. I mainly fish the delta in strong current and spot lock sometime at full speed I. The current. I run an ultrex 112. Is there something wrong, that it doesn’t last me more then 6hours?. Current setup it 2x 36 volt IonicBlueBatteries 50 or 60 amp can’t recall and a XS amp group 31 for main batter and all accessories. Now HDS 12 started to flicker lick there not enough power going to it. So considering going to lithium for crank motor too.
BIG DADDY BLUE RANGER

Post by BIG DADDY BLUE RANGER »

Alexphon wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 1:06 pm Guys I have 2 36vlt 50amp lithium and I run one down every time I fish the delta. How do you guys get so much run time? I had to get a 2nd 36vlt to last my fishing day. I mainly fish the delta in strong current and spot lock sometime at full speed I. The current. I run an ultrex 112. Is there something wrong, that it doesn’t last me more then 6hours?. Current setup it 2x 36 volt IonicBlueBatteries 50 or 60 amp can’t recall and a XS amp group 31 for main batter and all accessories. Now HDS 12 started to flicker lick there not enough power going to it. So considering going to lithium for crank motor too.
look into adding a Stealth 1 "charge on the run". Both Nextgen and Drewcraft (Ionic) sell them.... they seem to work great at keeping your trolling batteries topped off during the day from what I've seen.

If you're running your TM on high for a good portion of the day I can see you only getting 6hrs out of a 50 or 60 ah battery