best small jig to use with spinning tackle

lmartinez

best small jig to use with spinning tackle

Post by lmartinez »

iam wondering what small jig works best with spinning tackle for winter time??? any info would be great thanks len 8)
MartinD

Puffball Jig from Mark Inman*NM*

Post by MartinD »

*NM*
May the Fish be with you
SethB

Re: best small jig to use with spinning tackle

Post by SethB »

For light line apps. Terminator Finess jigs are hard to beat. Super sharp light wire hooks (mustad I think.) I havent used them but Kietech is making a pretty sweet looking little jig with a small sharp hook, kinda spendy though.
Take a kid fishing
Lancer

Post by Lancer »

with my 6' 8" medium extra fast st croix avid i like to use a 1/4 oz or 3/8 oz bass patrol jig with a small trailer usually a sweet beaver, zoom chunk, or a small yamamoto twin or single tail grub. for line i use 8-10# P-LINE floroclear or pline florocarbon if i need sensitivity or line abrasion protectant !! good luck it's a fun way to catch some jig fish !!!
aNNieNsaLTIE

Post by aNNieNsaLTIE »

yamamoto spider jig!
lmartinez

Post by lmartinez »

thanks for all the great info i will need to get out there and try some of these different jigs out thanks len
mvanguilder

Post by mvanguilder »

3/8oz Berserk Jig. Flippn for weedy areas and the football head for everything else. www.berserkbaits.com or they are at www.baitbarn.net, C&C marine in Modesto, Escalon Bait, and Snelling 76.

www.fishwrangler.net
supermat

Post by supermat »

The Hybrid Living Rubber "toad jig" from www.dirtyjigstackle.com is my favorite. Its the best of both worlds. I get the action of fine living rubber but the color options that only silicone will provide. Couple that with a perfect light wire jig hook that I can easily set with my dobyns 702 spinning rod and I'm pumped!
http://www.bassinguide.com
http://www.tacticalbassin.com
big_limits

Post by big_limits »

spot removers... the skirted ones
Cooch

Post by Cooch »

Dang, it's been a long time since I used that spinning rod fer jigs. I used to use them all the time up the river fer smallies and on all these lakes we have with spots and smallmouth. My all time favorite was the R&B Dee Thomas Smallie jig. THAT, was a fish catching lil jig Korny used ta make, especially once I had him start using that square bend hook he showed me. Bobby D used ta make a really nice lil frog hair smally jig too, much like the R&B. These were almost like darter heads with skirts, in 1/8 & 1/4oz weights. Watson down at DUH used to make an awesome lil Arkie jig fer smallies that was only available in Japan, still got a handful of those out in the shop too!

Clockwise from left: 1/4 oz. R & B Dee Thomas Smallie jig with upgraded square bend hook, 1/8 oz. R & B Smally darter with original hook and wire weed gaurd, 1/8 oz. R & B Football head, 1/4 oz, Black DUH Japan Special, Custom 3/8 oz R & B Dart with Square bend hook.

Selecting the proper jig for the right application is very important as each of these has it's own special purpose in my aresenal. The two R & B's with the square bend hooks and no weed gaurd as mostly used when fishing along verticle walls or swimming in open water. The little darter is used around standing timber where the wire weed gaurd becomes very helpful in preventing snags, yet allows you to fish the jig through the cover of the limbs and branches. The football heads work great on our canyon lakes where we have a lot of round hard bottoms and the occassional stick up snags. That DUH jig is great for bed fishing or places like Clearlake and the Columbia river where ya have a lot of vegitation and yer tossing right into thick cover trying to get to the bottom. One common factor all these jigs have is they are tied with Frog's hair rubber. I really like the action of this finer rubber on these smaller profile jigs.
Terry Smith

Post by Terry Smith »

Football head Rod Strainner. 3/8 oz or lighter
http://www.basscat.com
http://www.tntbaits.com/
Lounge Lizard Extreme Bass Fishing
(916) 719-7225