Braid to Fluorocarbon knot?

TravisH

Braid to Fluorocarbon knot?

Post by TravisH »

Hey there guys, what’s your go to knot for tying Braid to Flouro? I’m a big fan of the Alberto knot when bass fishing but I got my heart broke by a big Ling cod!! The knot let go An that was all she wrote after a few minute battle.. Moments before the heart break!!LoL
Attachments
1049DAD5-7211-4DB6-9DDD-FD23967621E7.jpeg
Par

Re: Braid to Fluorocarbon knot?

Post by Par »

Click on this link. http://www.thefishinginstructor.com/watch.html
click on the fishing instructor videos, scroll down to Berkley AC WRL & A Knot For You.
they show how to tie the knot about half way through the video.
Best braid to fluoro knot I've found so far. Sails through the guides (except micros)
Par

Sponsored by Murph's Mule Barn
M Pollard

Post by M Pollard »

Whats up with the Fish smerk? :D Its like oh ya, on a swimbait...
I should used more braid to flourcarbon, but most of the time i go strait floro...
but when i go to Bullards and battle big spots i use the Reverse Albright knot..
it seems to me to be simular to your Alberto knot...

I bet it was a blast catching cod and Stripers on the bass gear
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

Damn Travis - I have been using the blood knot as my connection knot for the past three years and it hasnt failed me (when tied correctly) and the best part of the knot is that when you do tie it correctly it shows ya before you snip the tag ends. I fish this on 6-10 lb up to 65-25 and everything in between i just adjust my wraps accordingly.

I got burnt by the Alberto knot as well and never again.
- JaJa Jigs - Get THUNKED
Links to Check Out -
https://www.instagram.com/jm_ash/
https://www.bestbasstournaments.com/
TravisH

Post by TravisH »

Thanks Par for the Link, I’ll definitely check it out!

Hey there Mark! Ow ya the smirk..Lol I think the fish seen the smirk an said I think it’s time to humble this guy a little bit! LoL.. Yes sir it was definitely a blast throwing the swimbaits out on the big pond! Can’t wait to go back soon!

Hey there Ash! Thanks I’ll definitely be looking into the blood knot.. The worst feeling is when you lose confidence in something because then every time you set the hook on a good one you don’t want to think Ow god please knot don’t fail me now!! LoL
BigBassDaddy1190

Post by BigBassDaddy1190 »

Had this happen to me as well. With the Alberto,If you leave the braid tag end a little longer I don’t see how it could ever fail.
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

BigBassDaddy1190 wrote:Had this happen to me as well. With the Alberto,If you leave the braid tag end a little longer I don’t see how it could ever fail.
but a longer tag end = no friction through the guides and no beuno in the reel - that blood knot and the one in Randy's video you can cut the tag ends down to nubs without it affecting the knot also the connection point is protected. I like the blood cause when tied correctly the tag ends will be exactly opposite of each other, indicating you tied it correctly. Once ya do that its good to go all day through the guides etc...
How-to-Tie-a-Blood-Knot.jpg
Links to Check Out -
WRB

Post by WRB »

The blood knot is older then I am, used to join line together since the early '50's.
Super braids today are small diameter and coated with slippery polymers creating issues keeping leader knots to fail. Fluorocarbon line has a tendency to have poor knot strength and the reason so many knots have introduced the past 20 years, more then I can remember.
The question should be why use FC leaders with 2 knots to fail?
Tom
Last edited by WRB on Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

Look up 'Modified Alberto" Best knot ever for strength and size !! Plus, it's easy and quick to tie !
2007 "Numb Nut"

Ranger Boats-Mercury Motors
Minnkota Ultrex -TRP Batterys
Raymarine - Troll Bridge
Gloomis - Shimano
Pepper Jigs - Robo Worms
Pat

Post by Pat »

I have had recent failures with a double uni-knot, when trying to pull snags loose. This is with 20# power pro and 16# Sunline braid tied to 8# Seaguar Red box flouro. The flouro is breaking right at the knot. I am going to give the RP knot a try as demonstrated in this video from Brent Ehler:
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

Pat wrote:I have had recent failures with a double uni-knot, when trying to pull snags loose. This is with 20# power pro and 16# Sunline braid tied to 8# Seaguar Red box flouro. The flouro is breaking right at the knot. I am going to give the RP knot a try as demonstrated in this video from Brent Ehler:
Pat this knots legit, its the same one in Randy's Video and is used by saltwater guys.
Links to Check Out -
tsengds

Post by tsengds »

I've recently been having a lot of lines breaking at the leader knot (braid +fluoro) as well but only when snagged. I'm not a very experienced fisherman but assumed it was from the comparative weakness of fluoro at the knot site or not lubricating enough when tightening the knot rather than the knot itself. Matt from Tactical B mentioned he uses a lot of braid to mono for that reason.
Fish Trap

Post by Fish Trap »

I would learn a few different knots as not every knot will work for certain diameters of line, certain types of line, etc. I have rarely ever had a problem with the braided knot breaking at the mono or Flouro connection. Most of the time if not 99% of the time the knot will break at the hook or lure end or somewhere in between. With that said, here are a few things I have found helpful.. For very small diameter braid, which would be the braid under 10lbs, such as Fireline Crystal, etc. tied to Flouro or Mono under 10# I use the Albright special knot. The key is to tighten the knot with all 4 strands until you get it tight, then tighten the two main ends to firm it up. If you did it wrong it will break immediately. This knot has pretty much replaced the uni to uni knot for me and I use it up to 50# mono and 80# braid. I will take up to 15 wraps on smaller diameter lines to get it to hold and I use 6# braid and 6# Fluorocarbon on most lakes without any problem. For braid over 10# The Uni to Uni knot worked well for me in the past but I since have replaced it with the albright I will never go back.
WRB

Post by WRB »

To resolve a problem you to recognize there is a problem. Fluorocarbon fishing line knot strength isn't good compared to primium monofilament fishing line for a verity of reasons.
No knot performs good if tied incorrectly, you need to practice tieing knots to become good at tieing them. Monofilament line is simply more forgiving when tieing knots, it doesn't weaken as severely when deformed as FC line does. If the line overlaps or crosses over itself it creates deformity and can over heat itself when clinched tight. When FC line is deformed it stays weakened in a cold flow condition of stress over time. Knots with multiple cushioning coils tend to perform better with FC, better equals about 80% knot strength. Monofilament line can and does achieve 100% knot strength with common clinch knots and Palomar knots.
When you use FC admit to yourself you will loose knot strength. Braid to FC leaders means 2 knots to weaken.
Tom
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

Just watched the video by Brent Ehrler and the knot I call the Modified Albright is the same knot he calls the RC knot. However, I trim the Braid with just a very small tail and the FC as close to the knot as I can. That little tail in the FC can sometimes bump the guides when casting, causing you to miss your target.
2007 "Numb Nut"

Raymarine - Troll Bridge
Gloomis - Shimano
Pepper Jigs - Robo Worms
WRB

Post by WRB »

Mitch wrote:Just watched the video by Brent Ehrler and the knot I call the Modified Albright is the same knot he calls the RC knot. However, I trim the Braid with just a very small tail and the FC as close to the knot as I can. That little tail in the FC can sometimes bump the guides when casting, causing you to miss your target.
FYI, you called the knot a modified Alberto,too many FC knots to remember.
Tom
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

FYI, you called the knot a modified Alberto,too many FC knots to remember.
Tom

Yep, you're right !! It is actually either name for the same knot. Modified Alberto/Albright Knot

https://fishing.wonderhowto.com/how-to/ ... ng-417265/
2007 "Numb Nut"

Raymarine - Troll Bridge
Gloomis - Shimano
Pepper Jigs - Robo Worms
WRB

Post by WRB »

A snap shot of my experiences with braid to leader knots;
In the 50's Dacron braided line was what I learned to fish with. Ashaway 12 lb on a Langley lure cast reel and Conolin rod before Garcia bought them. Western came out with Nylon monofilament and I tried mono leaders thinking a clear line work better, about 1957, using the blood knot.
Fast forward to the early 80's Spectra Super braids hit the market, I was tuna/Marlin fishing and added Spectra for backing to increase line capacity with a top shot of mono using a wind on leader with the tubular Spectra, followed in the early 90's using Seagaur fluorocarbon top shot leaders.
Knot problems started first with the hook knots, tubular wind on leaders worked good.
Sunline Shooter filler spools of fluorocarbon line became available in the early 90's and I used it with San Diego jam knot and Palomar knots as a main line with random knot failures. The mid 90's also introduced Super braids in 8 to 15 lb test for spinning reels and using a FC Sniper leader was state of the art, more random knot failures occurred. Since that time period braid with FC has become mainstream and more knots introduced then I can remember do to random knot failures.
Bottom line bass are not line shy fish, no reason to use a braid with leader having 2 knots IMO and no knot is a panacea to resolve random FC knot failures.
TOM
Last edited by WRB on Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

WRB wrote:A snap shot of my experiences with braid to leader knots;
In the 50's Dacron braided line was what I learned to fish with. Ashaway 12 lb on a Langley lure cast reel and Conolin rod before Garcia bought them. Western came out with Nylon monofilament and I tried mono leaders thinking a clear line work better, about 1957, using the blood knot.
Fast forward to the early 80's Spectra Super braids hit the market, I was tuna/Marlin fishing and added Spectra for backing to increase line capacity with a top shot of mono using a wind on leader with the tubular Spectra, followed in the early 90's using Seagaur fluorocarbon top shot leaders.
Knot problems started first with the hook knots, tubular wind on leaders worked good.
Sunline Shooter filler spools of fluorocarbon line became available in the early 90's and I used it with San Diego jam knot and Palomar knots as a main line with random knot failures. The mid 90's also introduced Super braids in 8 to 15 lb test for spinning reels and using a FC Sniper leader was state of the art, more random knot failures occurred. Since that time period braid with FC has become mainstream and more knots introduced then I can remember to redo,ve random knot failures.
Bottom line bass are not line shy fish, no reason to use a braid with leader having 2 knots IMO and no knot is a panacea to resolve random FC knot failures.
TOM
Thanks for sharing that bit of history.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY