Croco wins Wild West Bass Trail TOC at Lake Almanor

basstrophy

Croco wins Wild West Bass Trail TOC at Lake Almanor

Post by basstrophy »

thumbnail (4).jpg
https://www.fishermanswarehouse.com/

Lake Almanor is a large reservoir nestled in the Lassen National Forest surrounded with tall pine trees and snow-covered mountain peaks. Smallmouth bass is the dominant bass in Lake Almanor. The weather was perfect with the water temperature reaching 67 degrees and the air temperature pushing 80 degrees. Wild West Bass Trail had their tournament of champions (TOC) and after the two-day event was completed James Croco wins with 164.75” besting second place by 6.75”. Croco found a 400-yard stretch of bank near a major cove that had the winning fish. Croco winning location was 6.5 miles from the launch ramp at Plumas Resort. His run was an hour and half boat ride one way. On day one, Croco found a boat was fishing the same stretch of bank when he arrived. After a short time, the boater left and left the area for Croco. Croco worked his free rig between the 14-to-20-foot range to catch his fish.

“I used a free rig in 14-to-20-foot range with a EWG 3/0 Gamakatsu hook paired with a Z-Man fatty Z in watermelon candy with ¼ ounce TKO tungsten weight on 6-pound Pline tactical fluorocarbon on a Stealthstixx Skinny Pet rod.”

Croco covered the same 400-yard stretch of bank on day two but found the fish had moved further back into the nearby cove. On day two, he caught 84.50” compared to his day one 80.25”. On day two, Croco made an adjustment by moving further back into the cove to find the school of fish.

“The fish started to spawn in the cove, that’s why they moved further back inside of the cove.”

He used the same free rig to catch his fish on day two and a 2.8” Keitech. At 10:30 AM he had his second day limit and knew that his run back to the ramp was going to take longer because the wind had started to blow, and the lake had become rough.

“A few fish were caught on a 1/8-ounce Dirty-jig guppy head paired with a 2.8” Keitech.”

“The 12.75” fish made a huge difference on my day one’s limit.” Croco said, “Without that small fish, I would have never finished where I did.”

Croco worked a bank across the lake to catch a few of his fish there once his bite slowed down. Croco thanked his sponsors Headwaters Adventures in Redding, Hook’D Bait and Tackel in Ione, Dirty Jigs, Bioenno power, Pline, TKO tungsten, Rod Glove, Nickelous Lures and Specialized Exhaust Automotive.

Jeremy Miles finished in second place with a two-day total of 158.00”. Miles lives in Oregon and made the trip to Almanor. Miles headed in the North direction of the lake blind fishing for bites and found a pattern. His pattern was to fish 5- to 8-feet deep with his hand poured baits.

“I was drop-shotting my hand poured worms for spawning fish in 5-to 8-feet deep.” Miles said, “I made up some hi visibility colors that I normally don’t pour, just so I can see the bait in deeper water.”

Miles did find a fish shallow on a bed that he caught on the first day, but the rest was caught deeper. On day two, Miles caught his fifth fish after working the fish for an hour. He changed colors to a natural green pumpkin color to catch the fish.

“My fifth fish was such a relief to catch because I knew I needed a limit on day two.”

The last half hour of the day, Miles culled a fish that pushed him up to second place. Miles thanked his wife, Rachael, she has been extremely supportive as well as my kids. Also, Miles thanked his brother Tony for joining him and fishing these tournaments together.

“With Tony around it has been supper fun.”

Calvin Vang finished in third place with a two-day total of 157.50”. Vang’s fishing practice was not too good and never got a bite during practice. However, on Saturday the first day of the tournament, after a short 30-minute run, he made the right adjustment by fishing new water. He used a small 3/32-ounce crappy jig paired with a small Hazedong shad with 4-pound test. The slow fall was the key to catching fish, plus he was working his lure up-hill. One of Vang’s very first cast, he noticed his bait had stopped falling and caught his first fish in two days. Vang knew then that this was what he was going to do for the tournament. Vang fished in the same area both days grinding it out to get limits on both days.

“I want to thank my girlfriend, Vila Xiong, she is my biggest sponsor and supporter.”

Vang thanked his friends and family for all their support and ABIRC Asian Business Insititute Resource Center, Vang Dynisty, and Poke Mart.

1. James Croco 164.75”
2. Jeremy Miles 158.00”
3. Calvin Vang 157.50”
4. Julio De La Rosa 156.50”
5. Damian Thao 154.25”
6. Tony Miles 130.25”
7. Dang Xiong 102.50”
8. John Myers 98.75”
9. Abel Patino 82.75”
10. Richard George 70.75”

Big Fish:
Damian Thao 19.25”