DIY Topwater

Nufo

DIY Topwater

Post by Nufo »

I started doing these lures a few years ago as I love the design of the lunker punker but wanted a heavy duty lure geared towards catching trophy stripers. I started making a 10 inch version but recently decided I would make something smaller for my bay and delta spots.

Here is the lure making process I am using:

I started off with a couple of prototypes to find a design that worked well and I think I have things fine tuned now.

And tested them (third cast)
As you can see from the picture, I use only one hook on the belly and they usually end up with both lips hooked shut on the lure like this (10 inch version):

These new ones will be a little longer than the prototypes at 5.5 inches instead of 5. This should give me more glide on the walk the dog action. I also got an airbrush so I hope to do paint jobs with it but most will be white (stripers love white).

Start with a block of wood. This time I am using basswood (its supposed to be easy to shape and is so far)

Next I cut it into sections and trace the lure outline

Then I cut off big chunks of wood

Then sand to shape with my osciliating spindle sander

Then I take off the square edges

I use belt paper 50 to 80 grit

Then I smooth them out

After a little more sanding, I seal them. I usually use devcon 2-ton epoxy thined with denatured alchohol. This time I am using a form of crazy glue which is working well. These both soak into the wood sealing the grains from water penatration that will crack and ruin the final finish.

Next, I start by sticking weight in the *** to start the balancing process

Since I changed the design of the lure from the origional Prototypes, I experimented with new weighting and then add screw eyes and hooks and test in the swimming pool

#1 is balanaced as you can see below and sits flat in the water. #2 (would be my pick to swim the best) is weighted a little more towards the back of the lure. #3 is weighted more towards the *** for the *** down sitting position.

I tested them out. Which one do you think had the action I prefered the most?

More to come
godzilla

Re: DIY Topwater

Post by godzilla »

the top one sit better in the water.
***GODZILLA AFTER MILFS!!...(MOMMAS I LIKE TO FISH)....***
frankc

Post by frankc »

hey there, are you welling those yet ? if so how much? and do you live around here and fish the san luis.......?....................
Nufo

Post by Nufo »

frankc wrote:hey there, are you welling those yet ? if so how much? and do you live around here and fish the san luis.......?....................
Check your PM box
yjjustforme

Post by yjjustforme »

Location? Cost? I would like to try 1 out.
sy

Post by sy »

Those look very cool! Are you offering up some demo's?
Nufo

Post by Nufo »

been busy but got some paint slapped on them. Hope to have them finished and in fishes mouth's soon

Nufo

Post by Nufo »

Not for sale
Last edited by Nufo on Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sy

Post by sy »

pm sent