Dodge Diesel modifications......

Share vehicle info.
Colebass

Dodge Diesel modifications......

Post by Colebass »

If you own one, what mods have you done to yours? Just turned about 5200 miles. I read that you should wait to 5-10K, so my mind is on doing a few things.

Thinking of exhaust, air intake upgrade and maybe a chip or programmer. What do you like and why?
Dave Cole
BMC

Re: Dodge Diesel modifications......

Post by BMC »

Here is the link to an article I just did last week for our DodgeTruckWorld.com web magazine and our print version.
The package we installed on this Cummins TD Ram consisted of a K&N AirCharger, Edge Juice module and a Flowmaster cat back exhaust. After extensive dyno runs both before and after the modifications we processed the information for both average power gains (what consumers can usually experience and use) as well as max power achieved which is something most consumers never fully tap into.
Average results from the runs produced an average of 329hp/656 lb.-ft torque, which translates into an increase of 74 horsepower and 131 lb.-ft torque! The maximum horsepower achieved was 350hp/739 lb.-ft torque, which translates to a 55 horsepower and 193 lb.-ft torque increase from the maximum baseline stock numbers.
Here is the link to the full story.
BMC
http://dodgetruckworld.tenmagazines.com ... 2841&sid=7
Colebass

Post by Colebass »

Good story. Been thinking of exhaust and air system.

Thinking Flowmaster and AFE for the air system. Maybe a bullydog programmer.
Dave Cole
BMC

Post by BMC »

Based off of flow information I have been told, from those who have done extensive filter flow and restriction dyno testing, the new air filter in the Ram TDs flows really good, as good or nearly as good as aftermarket replacement filters. I don't see you getting a lot of bonus power from just an air filter change in this case. BUT, replacement filters for the new Dodge TDs are expensive, and require frequent changing. Replacement filters provide you with a one-time investment and the ability to clean it yourself.
BMC
Colebass

What about exhaust?

Post by Colebass »

I looked at mine tonight and it looks like at least 4 inch. Now the muffler doesn't look all that great, so maybe that's why most are chaning out.

DC
Dave Cole
BMC

Re: What about exhaust?

Post by BMC »

Some people do a cat-back buy solely for the sound. Others do it to believe they are improving power. The reality is that SOME cat back systems for TDs do improve performance, while some others actually don't increase power at all, yet claim to. Where you'll benifit the most is in towing and around town driving. With the proper balance of flow and restriction in the exhaust system, the engine will perform more efficiently, thus you get a little better mileage as well as have a some more "umph" when you mash the peddle. Some cat backs are dynoed for max flow at the max power ranges. We don't drive at max power so with some of those models designed and tested then marketed in that manner, you end up not having enough back pressure during normal driving rpm ranges and end up losing power. But hey, it sounds good right!...lol.
You'll make a good decision if you choose the Flowmaster set up. They've done their homework.
BMC
Skeeterman

Post by Skeeterman »

Try looking into Banks0+-

Check out Banks power.com you mite like thier systems.

+-.3
Colebass

May not need

Post by Colebass »

new exhaust on an 2006. I already have a 4 inch from the fatory. I may want the change to muffler, but so far all my research has me asking why?
Dave Cole