Endangered Species Consideration for NorCal Salmon

WB Staff

Endangered Species Consideration for NorCal Salmon

Post by WB Staff »

Northern California Chinook Salmon up for Endangered Species Consideration
norcal chinook salmon endangered species.png
Spring Chinook Salmon. Photo courtesy Michael Humling, US Fish & Wildlife Service

The recent volatility of Northern California waterways has taken its toll on fish populations, with the Upper Klamath-Trinity River spring Chinook salmon experiencing especially treacherous conditions. Now the fish species is under consideration to be protected under the California Endangered Species Act.

At an upcoming February 6 California Fish and Game Commission meeting, the commission will be considering public comment on whether to legally protect the salmon, a move that will have far-reaching financial and environmental impacts on some Northern California communities.

More info: https://activenorcal.com/northern-calif ... pD0j4mIX4s

mark poulson

Re: Endangered Species Consideration for NorCal Salmon

Post by mark poulson »

Funny how the salmon decline parallels the taking of Delta water. The more water that is diverted to the San Joaquin farmers, the lower the salmon numbers. It's not rocket science.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
WAUTE

Post by WAUTE »

mark poulson wrote:Funny how the salmon decline parallels the taking of Delta water. The more water that is diverted to the San Joaquin farmers, the lower the salmon numbers. It's not rocket science.
Mark, your dead wrong. Ask Jerry.....

You know I'm messing with ya, couldn't agree with you more. Also, I feel that they need to address the sea lions.

Jason
Stratos278

Post by Stratos278 »

WAUTE wrote:
mark poulson wrote:Funny how the salmon decline parallels the taking of Delta water. The more water that is diverted to the San Joaquin farmers, the lower the salmon numbers. It's not rocket science.

You know I'm messing with ya, couldn't agree with you more. Also, I feel that they need to address the sea lions.

Jason
Unfortunately, the sea lions are Federally protected under the Marine Mammal Protection Act. It would take a request from the State to whatever federal bureaucracy is responsible for enforcement (USFWS maybe?). Unfortunately, as many treehuggers and seal-kissers as there are in the State of California, it probably isn't going to happen...
Jim C.
"Rip Some Lips!!!!"
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Stratos278 wrote:
WAUTE wrote:

Jason
Unfortunately, the sea lions are Federally protected under the Marine Mammal Protection Act. It would take a request from the State to whatever federal bureaucracy is responsible for enforcement (USFWS maybe?). Unfortunately, as many treehuggers and seal-kissers as there are in the State of California, it probably isn't going to happen...
I'm guessing that, with increased water flow through the Delta, there will be more than enough salmon to feed the sea lions, too. They might not even have to travel so far upstream to feed.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
Jboutfishn

Post by Jboutfishn »

It's been said a thousand ways. The only problem the fish have (bass, salmon, steelhead) is a lack of clean water in the Delta.