Fall turkeys

Dukslayer26

Fall turkeys

Post by Dukslayer26 »

Anyone get out and hunt any turkeys latley since the fall season started.
I love huntin cause I love going deep into the bush and I always shoot twice!!
krpierce

Re: Fall turkeys

Post by krpierce »

Yeah I got out this past Sunday. Got my turkey for the fall season, now Im offically ready to start huntin my duck club. :wink:
Dukslayer26

Post by Dukslayer26 »

My buddy and I wacked these yesterday 11/18

krpierce

Post by krpierce »

Nice bro...nothing wrong with those birds!!
BassNCop

Post by BassNCop »

Awesome pair of "Toms"! I've been out a bunch in Mariposa. Shot at one at about 50 yards and missed! All my fault....I estimated the bird at 40...obviously shot low.

I do have a question though....I'm noticing that the birds are almost impossible to find or to get a response on my call when the weather is overcast. The property I hunt on has plenty of birds. I've scouted it and saw many of them on sunny days. They also responded well on those days to the call. What should I do different on overcast days besides stay home?
Dukslayer26

Post by Dukslayer26 »

During the fall, I find that the birds aren't even worth calling. I always spot and stalk turkeys in the fall. They don't respond well at all to calling!! Find them and stalk them!!!
lippy

Post by lippy »

Most of the time if you break up a bunch of birds you can call them back in together in the fall,But they will not answer most of the time like in the spring,I always been told dont even try and call a turkey in the fall,do the spot and stalk.
Rob Cummings

Post by Rob Cummings »

I hunted turkey's like a religion back home in Pennsyvlania. I assume the birds out here are generally close to the same habits. In the fall the best thing to do is get close to the birds and break up the flock. Scatter them the best you can and sit tight for about ten minutes. Use a sound called the "kee kee run" with a mouth call and you would be surprised the response you get from the birds. This is one of the primary calls they make as they're re-grouping or a lost bird trying to find it's way back. If you get good enough at it you can get a couple of them coming in from different directions. Another little trick is once you do get a bird to respond, mimic every sound it makes. This will often times bring the bird right to you, spring or fall. I used a mouth call to do the kee kee run. It's basicly a whistle or squeal, about 1 second long and low to high pitch. Immediately at the end of the squeal you make a smooth yelp. Generally the sequence I use is: kee kee yelp..kee kee kee yelp yelp yelp.

How is the spring turkey out here in CA? I haven't looked into it much yet. Anyone willing to take a military guy away from home out for turkey's in the spring time? You can do all the shooting, I'll just shoot video and call them to ya.
"I believe that forgiving them is God's function. Our job is simply to arrange the meeting." -General N. Schwarzkopf
Shawn

Post by Shawn »

On wed. I finally got one with my bow at 11yds.Its not the one I really wanted{a big tom} but it is a nice bird.It walked about 10 yds after the broadside shot and started flopping.Awsome!Well next year will be here soon and I'll try for the big boy with the same arrow same broadhead.I spotted and stalked and took the closer high percentage shot .Opening of dove and duck were great,limits in an hour for each.Now its time to work for some ducks this is going to be a steller year!

Shawn

Those are some nice birds on tha tailgate,congrats!