Fishing CA Delta September 30

AKBASSFISHING

Fishing CA Delta September 30

Post by AKBASSFISHING »

California Delta 9/30/2018
Water Temp 68 - 71
Visibility 1 – 6 feet
Wind 2 - 12 mph

Got a late start, launched the boat around 9:30 in the morning. The water was like glass.

We made a run to our usual weed flat. I started with my good ol’ white swimbait and my father went with a topwater. The bite was very tough with conditions so calm. Lots of short strikes and fish bumping our baits, but not fully committing to them.

Then our luck changed. Some of the clouds that had been off in the distance, traveled our way. With the sun now blocked, the fish started to feed. Throwing spooks, we found plenty of fish willing to eat. Once we got one to eat, the school would fire up. From there, it was just a matter of how fast you could take them off the hook. This lasted for as long as the clouds would allow. But, once the sun came out, the bite died down.

With our fill of stripers, we switched tactics and targeted largemouth. It was a grind to be honest. I found a few willing to eat a jig, but the fish were few and far between. Then, the clouds made a grand reappearance. With the low light, I switched to a chatterbat. And just like that, the bite was on. Working the chatterbait along weedlines, adjacent to deep water, the fish were actively feeding. Lots of small fish, but a couple of better two’s and occational three-pounder mixed in.

We followed the weedline pattern for a while, but the tide started to move too fast, which in turn killed our bite. Knowing the fish couldn’t have moved too far, we moved to the inside of the weedline. Sure enough, the fish had re-positioned themselves in the slower water. The bite turned back on. Lots of small fish and some two’s here and there. Then, I hooked a good one. I thought I hooked a striper by the size of the boil she made when I hooked her. She ran about like a train in the weeds. Fortunately, I was able to pull her out. It felt good to finally get a good bass, its been a while.

Overall, slow start, but we finally found some fish in the end.

Notes

The cloud cover was key for our bite.

The bass seemed to be relating to the 3 – 5ft drop-offs.

If you find a good bite and then it dies on you, don’t be afraid to look around the area. A lot of times they just re-position themselves.
Attachments
20180930_170430_HDR (2).jpg
20180930_163932_HDR (2).jpg
mark poulson

Re: Fishing CA Delta September 30

Post by mark poulson »

Another great report. Thanks.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
ash
SpeedBump

Re: Fishing CA Delta September 30

Post by ash »

Great report, thank you for re-caping the day!
- JaJa Jigs - Get THUNKED
Links to Check Out -
https://www.instagram.com/jm_ash/
https://www.bestbasstournaments.com/