Fishing knot ID...

Cliff

Fishing knot ID...

Post by Cliff »

In 1954, on our first family camping/fishing trip, my Dad taught me this knot to tie spinners on light line. I have used it exclusively for the last 65 years. I have searched online and never found this knot described or named. The closest I have found is a knot named “Fish N Fool”. If any of you old timers out there recognize the knot my Dad taught me and know the name, let me know! I did the best I could to draw it on my computer...
1FA83748-9592-401E-8169-2F69C7F52F8C.jpeg
Burke

Re: Fishing knot ID...

Post by Burke »

My dad taught me that same knot in the 1960's and I used it too for a number of years. Don't know the name of it.

I had a thought….my dad served in the Navy during WWII. Was your dad in the Navy? If he was, it might have been something they tied.
Cliff

Post by Cliff »

Yes Burke, my Dad was in the Navy in WWII! I don’t know where he learned this knot though. It has served me well on light lines (2-8 lb test), even the new slippery ones like Nanofil. It does not seem to pull together neatly on heaver test lines. I sure would like to find the name of this knot(it must have one, right?). Thanks for the Navy clue! I’ll keep searching...
Grncrestliner

Post by Grncrestliner »

I found one on You Tube for Berkley Nanofil called the Unifilament Knot that looks like it. Clearly you learned that knot long before Nanofil existed.
Viking

Post by Viking »

Looks like a double line Improved Clinch Knot to me. Very common knot with single line, not so much with doubled line
Cliff

Post by Cliff »

Way to go Grncrestliner! That’s it! But I guarantee Berkley did not invent that knot for their NanoFil line since I was using it in 1954! You have no idea how long I have searched for a reference to that knot. Thank you. Now I still wonder where my Dad learned it or what it was called back then?
WRB

Post by WRB »

Back in the 50's monofilament line wasn't commonly used, Dacron braid was the most common fishing line. Variations of the clinch knot were popular and a knot known as the braid knot was what I learned to tie. The braid knot is basically a double line clinch knot.
Tom
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

WRB wrote:Back in the 50's monofilament line wasn't commonly used, Dacron braid was the most common fishing line. Variations of the clinch knot were popular and a knot known as the braid knot was what I learned to tie. The braid knot is basically a double line clinch knot.
Tom
We used to use our old dacron fishing line in our chalk boxes to make really fine framing layout lines on concrete slabs.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY