Fishing Weeds in the Delta at High & Low Tides VIDEO #1

WB Staff

Fishing Weeds in the Delta at High & Low Tides VIDEO #1

Post by WB Staff »

Fishing in Weeds in California Delta at High & Low Tides | Episode #1

It's spring time and that means it's time to get out the chatter bait! First, you need to have the right kind of rod to get the most action out of the chatter bait. Any of the cranking glass rods will work fine because the tips are very relaxed and will let the chatter bait vibrate. Some companies like Shimano make a glass composite rod and they work great! Then you should be using a reel with 6:1 gear ratio or slower. I use 50 lb power pro line with a 2 feet piece of Yozuri Hybrid 25 lb test line connected with the Alberto knot and it has never failed me yet.

Then you need to use the right trailer, which is the Yamamoto Zako. If I want a wider wiggle then I put on a split tail worm and it totally changes the action! With a 6:1 ratio I reel the lure in real slow, sometimes even stopping for a second before retrieving again. There are times when the bass will swallow this lure and sometimes they're hardly hooked and get off!

I actually catch a lot of stripers on this lure too! Last fall I caught a 34 lb striper on a chatter bait in 2 to 3 fteet of water. Last fall we were using chatterbaits for stripers as they were in the weedy flats chasing crawdads.