Glory Hole Sports to close down for good

ZacktheWop

Glory Hole Sports to close down for good

Post by ZacktheWop »

I know they were trying to sell it but it looks like due to increased rent and not being able to extend their lease past 5 years or getting a promise that they would keep the gas station there its not feasible to sell any longer. So it looks like their last day will be August 20th.

Just wanted to give everyone a heads up who fuels up there and gets their baits/snacks for the day.
Whoopbass

Re: Glory Hole Sports to close down for good

Post by Whoopbass »

That stinks. Wish they could move it to Jamestown.
Are they going to have a sale on their inventory?
Last edited by Whoopbass on Tue Jul 26, 2022 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pat

Post by Pat »

I got that email from them too, and it's also on their Facebook page. Very sad for Angels Camp and the folks who fish New Melones and other Motherlode lakes. Too bad for the owners not being able to sell a great business. The email commented that their inventory had been getting low. No mention of a sale on inventory.
Steven Black

Post by Steven Black »

Wow!!!! I’m shocked to hear this terrible news, I’ve moved away from Calif but what sad news! When I lived in Merced and often fished Melones and I
would always stop in whether I needed any thing or not. Melanie ran a class act store and always greeted us by opening up the store for our check ins for the tournament’s. I wish it wasn’t true but thank you for all the great memories! It seems in this day and age the great mom & pop stores fade away but know they will not be forgotten
Thank you for all your hard work for all the fisherman and women that visited your store
Steve Black
jiggin4bass

Post by jiggin4bass »

It's to bad for the owners of there business have to go out of business. The owner of the property raised there rent on the building and the county want the owner of the property too remove old gas tanks and put new gas tanks in the ground for 1.2 millions dollars and he wanted to have the owners of the business to foot the bill . The one reason why they couldn't sell the business . One way or the other the owner of the property going to have to put the tanks in at his cost if he going to rent that business again. Fix it or get fined by the county everyday over the dead line.
It's a dam shame for the fisherman that fish the lake
Home Of The Original Puffball Jig
Original Lion collar jig
Building and fishing custom bass jigs
since 1977
Madera Ca.
Favorite Lakes
Eastman
Hensley
Bassmaxx

Post by Bassmaxx »

I am very upset to see Glory Hole Sports leave Angels Camp!!! Gene, Dawn and their Staff are among the BEST I have
had the pleasure to work with. The Wild West Bass Pro Am we held a couple years ago was what I consider to be our best event to date- We held our Weigh Inn at Glory Hole and had a great crowd come out to support our Anglers-

I will tell you the Community Leaders and Hotel Owners in Angels Camp could care less about Fishing in the Community.
If they cared I believe they would help Gene and Dawn to Stay-They have been VALUBLE TO THE COMMUNITY!!!!

What a Shame- Such a World Class Lake and no Support- The cost to do business for Tournament Organizers is among the
highest in the West... I doubt Wild West Bass will return with the closure of Glory Hole Sports...

Randy McBride
Wild West Bass
marinerfandave

Post by marinerfandave »

I think the county should be held somewhat accountable, they are the ones requiring the property owner to have the old tanks removed, are the old tanks really leaching into the ground and causing contamination now? If so, they should know the property owner probably can't afford it. And certainly not the tenant Glory Hole. So the county should come up with a solution to help foot the bill, or, give extra time to "study" the situation i.e. pay a consultant a ton of money for nothing (as only our government can do best). The county will be losing tax revenue with the closure of Glory Hole and if other bass tournaments start cancelling at New Melones, the hotels and other businesses will have less tax revenue for the county also. I feel terrible about this but don't blame the property owner, they don't have $1.2MM for new pumps either.
El Jefe

Post by El Jefe »

I never went there much because I always come in from the south and launch at Tuttletown but hate to see another small business shut down by more Ca government bureaucratic red tape. Funny story but my dad had a sporting goods/bait and tackle shop in Modesto years ago.... even back then it was tough to make money on a convenience store.... he did it as more of a hobby and never intended to run it himself full time, he just thought it would be a cool side income to go with the farming but by the time you pay workers comp and all the other bs is just didn't pan out.

And I bet the glory hole is pretty quiet on weekdays .... gotta be unrealistic to spend a million plus in upgrades....sucks.
JVGondal

Post by JVGondal »

Ca began with this gas station tank garbage back in late 80s. It was exposed as fraud back then when the state sent men out in full on hazmat suits as if a small gasoline leak is the equivalent to high radiation.
It put many mom and pop stations out of business then and continues to do so.
It’s another Ca created bureaucracy taking the tax payers money to pay their criminal gang