Harmon and Markham "Ambush" field to take 20th annual FPT Classic Championship crown

AnglersPress

Harmon and Markham "Ambush" field to take 20th annual FPT Classic Championship crown

Post by AnglersPress »

Mike and Jim won a Nitro Z18 boat package valued at $40,000, courtesy of Gone Fishing' Marine of Dixon
Mike and Jim won a Nitro Z18 boat package valued at $40,000, courtesy of Gone Fishing' Marine of Dixon

“Karma” has got to be the best word to describe the outcome for the winners of the 20th annual Future Pro Tour Classic Championship held last weekend on Lake Berryessa, as for over 19 long years, the winners, Mike Harmon, and Jim Markham have navigated through both the good and bad times, always mindful that they would have to “put in the work”, if they ever hoped to win a Future Pro Tour Classic crown.

And last Sunday, a big dose of that “Karma” finally showed up at their doorstep.

But it was last week, just three days before the event, that the annual Angler’s Press Outdoors “Handicappers” sheet came out naming this team to its “Top 7” Picks for winning the event, based on their long history, and the fact that they were way overdue for a win.

And to this end, the APO “Handicappers” sheet gave them the moniker of team “Ambush”, because if they were to win - no one would see it coming.

And WIN they did, and as the proof of their “hiding in the weeds", and “never give up” attitude, Mike commented that they only had 4 fish going into the last and final minute of the event, and on his very last cast of the day - using a Yamamoto Senko, on a Dobyns DX 703 Sf series" rod, he landed a 3-pound small-mouth that helped sealed their victory.

Overwhelmed with emotion as they accepted the coveted Future Pro Tour Classic Championship trophies, Jim commented to the crowd in attendance that, “I have had many team partners over the years, and I really believe it took that diversity of styles, for me to finally find the right partner…one that would complement my style of fishing - and vise-versa.

“Jim and I fish very well together, are aware of each other’s strengths and weaknesses, and ALWAYS keep the “team” mentality in the forefront of our minds”, commented Mike during the awards presentation.

We have both come to realize the importance of encouragement, and the value of “picking up the slack”, when one of us is having a bad day, as that IS NOT the time to lose faith and give up, but to get better”, he added.

Shane and Austin Cowley won the Lasher's Elk Grove Ram - "Guts & Glory" Big fish award with a 6.19 pounder that earned them $800 cash!
Shane and Austin Cowley won the Lasher's Elk Grove Ram - "Guts & Glory" Big fish award with a 6.19 pounder that earned them $800 cash!

Throughout the 3-day event, Mike and Jim ran to only a few key spots, throwing a variety of baits, and sacking a 3-day total weight of 42.15 pounds, winning the keys to a new Nitro Z18 boat, motor, and trailer package, valued at $40,000, courtesy of Gone Fishin’ Marine of Dixon.
Congratulations Mike and Jim on well-deserved victory that through perseverance and patience with “the process” of becoming a champion, was a long-time in coming!

Cayden Cross wins Youth Angler League Championship – and new Tracker boat!
Cayden Cross grins big as he holds the 2021 River2Sea/Daiwa Youth Angler League Championship trophy
Cayden Cross grins big as he holds the 2021 River2Sea/Daiwa Youth Angler League Championship trophy

Cayden Cross is truly a “chip off the old block”, as this 14-year old navigated through a tough bite and THIRTY Youth Angler League qualifiers, using the dropshot technique to bag 7.36 pounds of bass (3-fish), and capture the 2021 Youth Angler League title and the keys to a new Tracker Classic XL, boat motor and trailer package, courtesy of Gone Fishin' Marine in Dixon.

The “block” that this “chip” fell from, was none other than Danny “DC” Cross - his father, who himself is a Future Pro Tour Hall of Famer, winning a FPT Classic Championship on Clearlake in 2015, where he and his partner took home the keys to a new Ranger boat.

“I was incredibly happy when I won my first boat via Future Pro Tour, but that win pales in comparison to how I feel right now about Cayden winning the event and a new boat”, noted Danny.
“Cayden is a good sportsman, a patient angler, and is really learning the “mechanics” of this sport.

NO father could be prouder than I am right now”, he added.

The 2021 FPT Classic Championship was an incredible event, putting an “official” end to the 2021 season...but don’t go away.... the 2022 season is now in session, as we return to Lake Berryessa on March 26th - where the lake will have “turned over”, and the BIG FISH, and quality limits- with a BIG PAY DAY...will be the standard!

See you there!

For full event results please click on the link below!

http://www.anglerspress.com/results/eve ... sults.html