Italy, anybody done a trip or cruise

If it doesn't fit in any other forum, this is where it goes.
Rod Martin

Italy, anybody done a trip or cruise

Post by Rod Martin »

So far I've been to Brazil, and Mexico six or seven times. and each time I tell my wife NEXT TIME she gets to go to italy[ why she wants to go there,I dont know] but its time to take her.
Anybody gone before any info to be shared, tour group to recomend, or travel service that worked out well?

Thanks Rod
Greg_Cornish

Re: Italy, anybody done a trip or cruise

Post by Greg_Cornish »

Ya, my wife lived there 4 times for a total of 2 years and returned to see friends last year. She love's northern italy, pretty much thumbs down to Southern Italy - except for the ruins. I'll post a bunch of her photos. She visits the Genovese area.
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet, is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
Rod Martin

Post by Rod Martin »

Thanks Gregg
Greg_Cornish

Post by Greg_Cornish »

My wife has never been on a tour. I guess she's to adventurous. At about 20 years old, her and a girlfriend hitchhiked across Europe, however passing a small town called Rapallo Italy, she fell in love with the town from a window and later returned several time to live there and have adventures. Last year she returned and stayed a few days in Antibes, France, then went back to see old friends in Italy for the first time in 40 years and maybe the last time. She took over 1650 photos. I just grabbed some random shots. Click a photo for enlargement.

South France and french and italian fast food

ImageImage Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Then on to Italy where she's was longing to see a grave yard in Genoa that's supposed to be one of the greatest in the world. Fortunes are poured into art in Mausoleums and Grave Markers

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Then into the city

Then Portafino (I think)

Then on to Rapallo her old stomping grounds

Her 1st European Apartment

Views of Rapallo

Image Image Image Image Image

The Church: During an air raid of the allied Bombers, some Italians were huddled in this church. Surely the Allies would not bomb a church! Wrong. In through the roof came a bomb which lodged in the floor of the church without hitting anyone. The first time my wife visited in the 70s, it was still stuck in the floor. The Italians of course knew it was a miracle! When she returned in 08, it was encased and set off to the side and the church had been completely restored

Image Image Image

On the last day in France before they left an old friend who owns all the harp factories of note in the world finally found her and her friends - Victor. He took them to his 5 acre villa near Antibes for food and wine and a sight seeing tour. a perfect cap for the trip.

Last edited by Greg_Cornish on Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet, is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
Greg_Cornish

Post by Greg_Cornish »

Have your wife call my wife and start saving money. Research Public transportation. It goes within blocks of anything and is dirt cheap. Her friends flew in to Nice and took a limo from the airport to their house in Antibes for 200 Euro. She planned her public transportation ahead of time and it took her 2 blocks from her door for approx $2.50. She took a train from France to Italy for dirt cheap.

Always say loudly how much money you just gave someone as in "I'm giving you 20 Eruos." so they know better than to say, "You only gave me ten. Go in September and avoid the crowds and save money in the off season.
Rod Martin

Post by Rod Martin »

thanks gregg, I havent told her we're going yet.
How bad are the winters there? we take our vacation in Dec. each year, thats when the factory we run for shuts down for several weeks.
Greg_Cornish

Post by Greg_Cornish »

The winters aren't cold but it rains as much as here or maybe more, but it's beautiful. Dress for wet and cool. December is the best economically.
Otay Michael

Post by Otay Michael »

I've been many times, and hopefully many times more before I head upwards! North, central and south, all exceptional.

www.seewald.com - click on photographs, then click on Italy. Don't forget to purchase one for her for Christmas :lol:
Otay Michael

All I need to get into the money would be the four I usually get along with a 20# kicker.

Own no boring art: www.seewald.com
Name written in the book of life.
Greg_Cornish

Post by Greg_Cornish »

Great Photography Michael. At the 08 spring event, my wife wanted you photo from Italy you donated but her raffle numbers would not come up. Kent Collins was at our table winning everything and he couldn't take anything home on the plane. He grabbed it for her. She loves it. She new exactly where it was, or had at least seen it many times, I can't remember which.

Post by Guest »

My parents went there 2 years ago with Trafalgar tours. They prefer this sort of tour group approach since they don't like to figure out the logistics of getting from A to B. Plus they like the fact that they are with a group of people and make friends within the group. So far they've been on 4 of these through Europe & prefer this sort of group setting over a cruise ship, etc.

Also if you're looking for some background or ideas there's a PBS tv show called Rick Steve's Europe who is a travel guide for English speaking tourists. I believe there are a number of shows that appeared on Hulu.com within the past few weeks so you can get a taste for the different regions.

http://www.hulu.com/rick-steves-europe