Justin Lucas Catches 127 Pounds

WB Staff

Justin Lucas Catches 127 Pounds

Post by WB Staff »

BPT-S6-D1-JustinLucas-PMoore-6-1000x487.jpg
From MLF

Leader Lucas Catches 127 Pounds on Cayuga

Lucas Sprints Past Century Mark
It only took about a minute for Lucas to hook his first bass of the day — a 2-10 largemouth — and he didn’t have to wait much longer to catch his second… and his third… and his fourth. Apart from about an hour and a half during Period 2, Lucas never went more than 29 minutes without registering a scorable bass.

Although the Berkley pro seemed in control of his day from the start, he says that it wasn’t as easy going as it might have seemed to start his morning.

“I started on a spot this morning that I thought was my best spot, but it turned out to not be that great,” Lucas said. “I moved to a second spot I found in practice that was just a big patch of grass with an open area in the middle. That’s where I started to pick it up.”

Apart from one smallmouth that seemed to be random, all of Lucas’ fish were largemouth and caught on some form or fashion of a drop-shot. Thanks to his monstrous day, Lucas will enter his second day of competition on Monday with a 19-14 lead over Jacob Wheeler.

The Alabama pro’s goal is to secure his spot in the Championship Round by winning his group. With a handful of heavy hitters still within striking distance on SCORETRACKER®, Lucas’ plan is to keep his foot on the gas.

“I’m going to have to go out and catch as much as I can,” Lucas said. “I’d love to do it early in the morning to make the other guys lay off. Then I can kind of coast the rest of the day. I got a feeling that it’s never going to be that easy, though. I’m going to have my work cut out for me.”