Lake Casitas

MikeR

Lake Casitas

Post by MikeR »

https://www.casitaswater.org/your-water/lake-level
Casitas hit 62% this morning having gained another 1.3ft since yesterday and it's dumping in Ventura and Ojai today! It's starting to look like the lake we all remember!
Pics taken by CP Aviation and posted by Daniel Smith on the Save the Lake Casitas FB page.
Aerial Shot Casitas.jpg
Aerial Shot Casitas before rains.jpg
Always lookin' for mud lines!
https://signarama.com/locations/ca-ventura/
Kelly Ripa

Re: Lake Casitas

Post by Kelly Ripa »

I just got back from the lake and saw this post. There is water on the #3 cement ramp in Santa Ana. With the creeks looking like small rivers it might get 5 more feet( my guess ). I remember when deep cat was more than 100 feet deep but you have to truly wonder how much silt just got poured in. I will be on the water this Saturday for the first time since this started in February. I figured it was going to be like this and triple wrapped the boat. Last time I remember us at this height was more than 10 years ago. Careful on the water...zip and clip that vest!

Rip

3 1/4 inches more rain since yesterday
LET'S GO BRANDON
Remember ...What the Dormouse said...Feed your head!
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Having to dredge silt is a small price to pay for more water.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
WRB

Post by WRB »

In the 80’s the Deep Cat dam was 30’ from top to lake bottom, now it’s about 4’....lots of sit.
The dirt could have been bull dozed and loaded into trucks the last 3 year as that area was dry.
Good point wasted on insane water board.
Tom
Kelly Ripa

Post by Kelly Ripa »

Dredge? I guess you'd need to see it to understand. That would cost money. Fact: The Santa Ynez and Ventura river systems have the highest silt content of any river systems in North America. Nobody's going to dredge anything now that it's underwater. The reasoning for getting rid of the whole matilija dam is because it is silted in. You forgot your roots Mark. Try to remember..... you're still in California and that will give you the proper perspective.
LET'S GO BRANDON
milehi

Post by milehi »

Not trying to defend anyone but they do some dredging in my little lake, getting permits is next to impossible
Kelly Ripa

Post by Kelly Ripa »

Anybody ever hear of a lake in SoCal that's been dredged???????? Ever??????? Bueller?????Bueller?????

The use of vacuum or suction dredge equipment, otherwise known as suction dredging, is currently prohibited and unlawful throughout California.
LET'S GO BRANDON
milehi

Post by milehi »

They put a big scooper on a barge, hell of a mess. so cal
WRB

Post by WRB »

Ventura River is only 12 miles long dropping 4,000’. The water shed has experienced major fires the past 5 years so run off is dirt filled and contaminated by fire retardants from aircraft fighting the remote mountainous terrain.
Castiac isn’t far behind with siltation in the fish arm, ski arm is OK, gets cleaner water from the fore bay.
Not complaining water is good and the Casitas is over 1/2 full without any help from the water board.
Tom
Last edited by WRB on Thu Mar 23, 2023 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kelly Ripa

Post by Kelly Ripa »

Where and when? I can't find any info. about that. Both Cachuma and Casitas have those problems Tom. I asked where it was done because I think what you are describing I saw during the process used in S.B. Harbor . DFG sez no deal on my before mentioned process anywhere in the state. That was the law as of this 2023. It's all a moot point. What ever could be done won't at this lake. With the beach erosion I wonder how Santa Barbara's harbor did. I know they had to move a bunch of sand there just years ago it seems. I'm sure that they had to jump through unimaginable red tape to get that done. The beaches have had some super severe problems from Goleta on down from these storms and tides. I'm going fishing whatever the circumstances of the lake are as it's not my problem to fix.
Yeah, Tom.... The board could not stop Mother Nature and I'm very happy with what I have.Can't really imagine that green brush with 12 feet of mud on it :shock: >>>I will have to really stare at my meter this Saturday :lol: ...

Did you mean Castaic Tom? We don't have a ski arm last I checked :D
LET'S GO BRANDON
WRB

Post by WRB »

Yes fixed it thank you🤭.
We had lunch at Anchor Rose in SB harbor before this weeks storm and the harbor was open, no sand bar closing the entrance.
Tom
PS, what do we have 1/2 dozen SoCal members on this site?
Wrknap

Post by Wrknap »

Plus one. I retired and relocated to Ventura from the Sacramento area last year. Kelly’s doing his best to educate me on Casitas. It’s a new lake now so it’s like starting over…
Jboutfishn

Post by Jboutfishn »

WRB wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:30 pm Yes fixed it thank you🤭.
We had lunch at Anchor Rose in SB harbor before this weeks storm and the harbor was open, no sand bar closing the entrance.
Tom
PS, what do we have 1/2 dozen SoCal members on this site?
Lived in Sim Valley for 18 years before building on Lake Shasta, At 81 I am tired of ice and snow and am considering moving back to SoCal to be closer to kids. Checked out Piru (full) last weekend and have been watching Casitas. Just thinking.
WRB

Post by WRB »

Lake Shasta is a better place to live then SoCal today. Understand the cold issue and it gets hot in summer.
If you can afford to live at Lake Sherwood or Westlake that works👍.
Piru is full but closed to boating, no concessions. Should change.
Cachuma is full and better fishing.
Getting old isn’t for sissy’s.
Tom
pd

Post by pd »

If Cachuma is “better”, your lake REALLY sucks right now.