Largemouth bass near Santa Cruz?

WesF

Largemouth bass near Santa Cruz?

Post by WesF »

Hello everyone, I am new to this site and new to the Bay area and its bass fishing. My family is coming in from West Virginia in August and my father and brother really enjoy largemouth and smallmouth bass fishing. We are going to be staying in Capitola which is right next to Santa Cruz. Are there any good lakes around that area? Or would it be more beneficial to drive up to the delta or maybe possibly going to Clear Lake? I am really trying to make this a memorable trip for them so any help would be appreciated.
jloo283

Re: Largemouth bass near Santa Cruz?

Post by jloo283 »

If you're just looking for a day trip, picnic, fishing from shore, Lexington reservior is approx 25 min drive on HW 17 from where you are. I used to do OK on my kayak there when I used to live in Campbell. I've seen guys walk the shores along the old damn and done OK. It's a nice place to relax and spend the day.

Vesona Lake is also in the area, I never went there because its too touristy, but people do fish there and have said it's OK. This is a good place for kids as well.

There are also lake Anderson in Gilory and Stevens Creek county park, but I've never been there. They're like Vesona, more of a park than a real fishing lake.

If you're looking for multi day trip, overnight camp, etc... Coyote lake up in Gilroy is about 1.5 hr away, I've done really good in the past. I witnessed a guy caught a 8+ lber from shore in 2009, right by the ramp. There are also camp sites available for overnight stays.

San Luis reservior is another 40 mi from Gilroy, I've never been there but have heard of people doing well there.

For the real deal, the delta or clear lake is where to go, especially if you're taking your boat. Now is the better time of the year.

Have fun
James
Tin Can

Post by Tin Can »

What do you plan on fishing from? Boat or shore? If you have a boat, just know that all of the local lakes have mussel inspections and some you have to make a reservation. Honestly, I would just drive to the delta or if you want to stay in Capitola, fish the ocean. You can rent skiffs off the Capitola wharf and fish for rockfish and Halibut.
WesF

Post by WesF »

Thanks for the replies so far. My brother has a boat but unfortunately wont be able to bring it with him. If we decide to go to Clear lake then I would probably get a guide because if we are willing to travel that far then I want them to have the best time and catch fish. If we go to the Delta then we would probably fish off of the bank. I did see another post about bank fishing on the Delta so that gives us some ideas. My father and I are casual fisherman but my brother takes it a bit more seriously. He is actually at Lake Erie right now smallmouth bass fishing. He has told me that California has some of the best bass fishing in America. So really my goal is to get him to a lake where he can experience that. I just didn't know if there was anything closer than the Delta or Clear Lake.
Tin Can

Post by Tin Can »

If you want to have good fishing, Delta or Clear Lake are the best bets. If you want to stay local and have a shot at a giant, Coyote Lake in Gilroy. Good luck
Dan Stahlman

Post by Dan Stahlman »

I moved away from there 20 years ago but in those days Loch Lomond (City of Santa Cruz water suppluy) held good numbers of
Bass and some big ones at that. Might give it a try.
Tin Can

Post by Tin Can »

I definitely wouldn't go to Loch Lomond, it used to be great. It's real slow these days, there is quality fish, but it's a really tough lake.
jwelsh

Post by jwelsh »

I live in Gilroy and also have a home on Bethel Island at the delta. Coyote is nice and has camp sites, though I would question how productive bank fishing may be during the time frame your looking at. If you are willing to possibly due a guide if going to Clear Lake, I would suggest the same if going to the delta. Cooch or Bobby Barrack would be a good start. Hope wherever you decide to go that it's a good time, good luck.
Revoke36

Post by Revoke36 »

WesF wrote:Thanks for the replies so far. My brother has a boat but unfortunately wont be able to bring it with him. If we decide to go to Clear lake then I would probably get a guide because if we are willing to travel that far then I want them to have the best time and catch fish. If we go to the Delta then we would probably fish off of the bank. I did see another post about bank fishing on the Delta so that gives us some ideas. My father and I are casual fisherman but my brother takes it a bit more seriously. He is actually at Lake Erie right now smallmouth bass fishing. He has told me that California has some of the best bass fishing in America. So really my goal is to get him to a lake where he can experience that. I just didn't know if there was anything closer than the Delta or Clear Lake.

I say blow his mind; take him to Clear Lake and hire a guide :wink:
Support 81
mrbassin0614

Post by mrbassin0614 »

Back to class guide service on the delta!!! Best way to go with a guide and a lot closer for you.
WesF

Post by WesF »

Yea not matter which lake we end up going to we are getting a guide. Any recommendations for guides at the delta and clear lake?
jwelsh

Post by jwelsh »

I'm not familiar with all the guides for the delta, I have fished with Cooch and Bobby Barrack. Either are great choices. Here's some links to there web sites, Both have fished the delta for numerous years and provided many with there PB. They differ in there methods but are both very productive. Good luck.
Cooch http://coochsfishing.com
Bobby' http://www.bobbybarrack.com
Obi-Hub

Post by Obi-Hub »

If you are thinking of going to Clear Lake and getting a guide give Ross Englund a hollar.

His website is: http://www.clearlakeguideservice.com/
~~~Gary "Obi-Hub" Collins
:mrgreen: ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ :mrgreen:
dockboy

Post by dockboy »

Go to Clear Lake, hire Ross England. Matt Allen has his service there too, and catches some donkeys. I live in Santa Cruz and fish the local reservoirs a lot. As much as I enjoy hitting the shore at Lexington, and think its fine fishery for its size, its nothing to bring your out of state relatives to fish for a serious time.

Clear Lake is without a doubt the best lake in the state. Go there. August can be hot, and the lake might smell like hell due to algae blooms, but the fishing can be incredible that time of year. Clear Lake also doesnt get the same amount of ski traffic you will find at the foothill reservoirs, so its more enjoyable to fish. If you go there, stay in Upper Lake area (Lakeport/Lucerne). Lower Lake (Clear Lake Town) and that part of the lake is certainly not the part of Clear Lake I would make my vacation plans in. As a plus, going to Clear Lake also gives you the option of Napa Valley wine tasting tours on the way back to Capitola, if you relatives are into that sort of thing. As mentioned, if you want something within day trip reach the Delta is the way to go.
WesF

Post by WesF »

Update: I took my brother and my father up to Clear Lake with Ross England as our guide from everyone's recommendations. Well we had a blast and caught a total of 23 fish! I did catch the bulk of the fish by catching 11 total with one being a very large bluegill. The fish ranged from 3lbs to the largest weighing in at 4 3/4lb. I would highly recommend Ross to anyone looking to hire a guide at Clear Lake. He was very professional, polite and very patient with us. I really dont have any complaints. Next stop Lake Shasta for some spotted bass fishing with my wife in the spring. Any guide recommendations for lake Shasta?
Here are a couple pictures of the fish I caught. The first picture is the first catch of the day and the second is the largest fish I caught. Thanks everyone!
CN

Post by CN »

I would take Tin Can's suggestion and rent a Skiff there. You can catch Halibut or some Rock Cod and have some good eating. Close to home and if the weather is good which it is this time of year it's pretty calm on that side of the Bay. Just get some Squid and have fun. You may even see a Whale. As far as Bass in that area or beyond you will need a boat.