Line visibility

riceman

Line visibility

Post by riceman »

I seem to be watching a lot of videos lately and thought I'd throw this out there. Looking at crankbaits underwater the hooks look extremely out of place and easily seen so is line diameter that important as far as visibility to the fish?
DanWarme

Re: Line visibility

Post by DanWarme »

With a crankbait, line visibility is not the issue - provided you are not using a fluorescent line which can light up like a neon tube.

Line DIAMETER is the critical factor with crank baits. The thicker the line, the more drag it creates and the harder it is for the crankbait to dive. So thinner line, coupled with long casts, allow your crankbait to dive to its maximum depth.

If you are throwing small square bills around cover, that only dive 3-5 feet, no big deal, you can get away with throwing them on 20# in stained or even clear water if you are fishing fast. But throwing a 15-20' diver on 20# test and you might only get the bait down to 12' at the max. Switch to 12# or even 10# to get the maximum depth. 10# is pushing it though because you are going to have a hard time casting that big of a crank on that light of line and also have issues with the hook set. Throwing a deep diver on 8# or 6# test is asking for trouble and lost baits.
DW

Host Bazz Clazz Videos

http://www.bazzclazz.com

All other things being equal, I'd rather be catchin' than fishin'
Rod Martin

Post by Rod Martin »

Whole time I lived in California I was told fish are line shy. Moved to Florida and over half my friends use braid for everything.

I have started using braid for cranks 15lb braid is the same dia. as 8 lb some less drag and goes deeper
TR177 Ranger/ Mercury/Lowrance/ Ghost TM
riceman

Post by riceman »

Thanks for the insight, didn't realize it made that big a difference in running depth of cranks. Hard to believe fish would be line shy after seeing those trebles, weights etc.
WRB

Post by WRB »

It's always a debate what we think bass see and how they interpret what they see.
The bottom line is we don't have a clue.
Line diameter affects nearly every lure ps action and live bait movements for that mater.
Fluorocarbon line is advertised as having the same light refraction as water therefore invisible to fish including bass. How bass see anything is up to debate because the eye only takes in a spectrom, the brain interprets it.
I have only been bass fishing about 7 decades and experienced enough anomalies to realize line diameter out weighs line color. Bass strike A-rigs made of wire with 80 lb braid and aviod 4" soft plastics using 8 lb FC line.
Crankbaits, it's nearly impossible to cast far enough to achieve maximum diving depth for a few yards regardless of the line used. Smaller diameter line has less coeffient of drag for the lure to overcome and cast further. Hooks banging against the crankbait sides add sound attracting bass.
Tom
Last edited by WRB on Thu May 07, 2020 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

WRB wrote:It's always a debate what we think bass see and how they interpret what they see.
The bottom line is we don't have a clue.
Line diameter affects nearly every lure ps action and live bait movements for that mater.
Fluorocarbon line is advertised as having the same light refraction as water therefore invisible to fish including bass. How bass see anything is up to debate because the eye only takes in a spectrom, the brain interprets it.
I have only been bass fishing about 7 decades and experienced enough anomalies to realize line diameter out weighs line color. Bass strike A-rigs made of wire with 80 lb braid and aviod 4" soft plastic,antics using 8 lb FC line.
Crankbaits, it's nearly impossible to cast far enough to achieve maximum diving depth for a few yards regardless of the line used. Smaller diameter line has less coeffient of drag for the lure to overcome and cast further. Hooks banging against the crankbait sides add sound attracting bass.
Tom
Lots of good info captured here - bait profile, depth, speed and water clarity is much more of a factor over looks of the baits the more you slow down the presentation the more looks most likely matter. But if they are active enough to chase a crank bait they aren't typically hunting it and scrutinizing it. What blows my mind is that why is it when i add a red chin hook they seem to choke it better at certain times?
- JaJa Jigs - Get THUNKED
Links to Check Out -
https://www.instagram.com/jm_ash/
https://www.bestbasstournaments.com/
Kelly Ripa

Post by Kelly Ripa »

Bleeding color near the chin of the bait when they can see that color at depth and invisible after it goes deep enough into the spectrum to disappear? Red is the first to go it is said ...So why do I catch more fish with red hooks on my spoons....... :wink:
LET'S GO BRANDON
Remember ...What the Dormouse said...Feed your head!
riceman

Post by riceman »

Good info and perspective, looks like I need to get some red hooks now and some...……………. never ends :lol:
Jboutfishn

Post by Jboutfishn »

I use braid on all spinning reels, and splice on 6 feet of appropriate size fluorocarbon to it. Why? No clue other than the braid is very easy to handle and fluorocarbon is alleged to be invisible........
callwakeup

Post by callwakeup »

my #1 bait of all time.. and i think they stopped making it-- strike king double willow diamond blade spinner bait-- but the key was the red "grass bell" swivel cover for the willow blade swivel.. and the red bead spinner spacers! that bait killed everywhere!
Rod Martin

Post by Rod Martin »

Jboutfishn wrote:I use braid on all spinning reels, and splice on 6 feet of appropriate size fluorocarbon to it. Why? No clue other than the braid is very easy to handle and fluorocarbon is alleged to be invisible........

Have you noticed that braid allows for more twist in the line before it starts to affect casting ?
TR177 Ranger/ Mercury/Lowrance/ Ghost TM
Lawley

Post by Lawley »

I never noticed line twist with braided line
mudman

Post by mudman »

Lot's of good info here. Thanks one and all.
WRB

Post by WRB »

Lawley wrote:I never noticed line twist with braided line
spinning reels twist line with every bail rotation wrapping the line around a fixed spool. Baitcasting reels doesn't twist line. Braid being a yarn has no memory so twisting doesn't manifest quickly but it still is being twisted by a spinning reel unless it can untwist itself by water without anything tied on the loose end or a good swivel to eliminate lure twisting the line.
Tom