A little interference

Moderator: Ken Sauret

rxfish

A little interference

Post by rxfish »

I had a chance to use my new HDS-5 this weekend during a Angler's Choice tournament at Oroville. Its going to take some time to learn everything about this unit. I did notice that each time I used the trolling motor there was interference on the screen. Would this be wired incorrectly or can it be adjusted out with the unit? I have the structure scan mounted on the trolling motor as well.
roaroar

Re: A little interference

Post by roaroar »

Here is a response from Lowrance about this issue. Went out today and it helped some what. (number 3)

With Trolling motor interference there is only so much that we can filter out before we start to filter out our own signals. The problem mainly exists on digital trolling motors that do not have correct internal grounding, something that both Minnkota and Motorguide have had issues with. Most new digital trolling motors now have the internal grounding.

Ways to help clear it up:
1) Run the Sonar on a different battery than the trolling motor.
2) Make sure that all of the cabling for the sonar stays as far away as possible from the power cables to the trolling motor.
3) Use noise rejection in the sonar menu
4) Check with trolling motor manufacturer to see if your motor has the appropriate internal grounding.