Lose signal on plane

Moderators: Triton Mike, Doug Vahrenberg

Humminbird

Lose signal on plane

Post by Humminbird »

I had a hummingbird 898 installed , and they put the transducer on the first flat spot of the transom. I would lose the signal when I would get on plane, so I moved the transducer to the lowest part of the transom, next to the drain plug, and it still loses the signal when I get on plane. I replaced my 12 year old lowrance unit with this one, and my old unit kept the signal up to about 50 mph. Am I doing something wrong or did I just spend $1500 for a state of the art sonar unit that only works when you are idling?
Doug Vahrenberg

Re: Lose signal on plane

Post by Doug Vahrenberg »

Post picture of your install. To get onplane reading the transducer MUST be a little below the lowest point of the hull or you can mount higher and get 2D onplane readings from a second transducer. Share some pictures and we can help

Skeeter, Yamaha, MinnKota, Humminbird, Dobyns, LakeMaster, Transducer Shield & Saver, LuckyCraft, Daiwa, Dave's Custom Baits, OMEGA Tackle, Elite Tungsten, Angler Innovation, Massey Ferguson
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

I had the same issue with my 997. I moved the transducer down so it's next to the drain plug, and so the bottom half of the transducer is below the hull, and it now reads at speed, up to 40mph.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
edsterone

Post by edsterone »

I have the same problem. But I was told the best way to mount the transducer was on my jackplate with a "Transducer Shield and Saver" and if you look at the photo you can see that the transducer sits about 7 to 8 inches higher than the lowest part of the boat. I thought that it would be far enough away from the bottom of the hull but apparently not. Any input?
Attachments
IMG_3393.jpg