NEW TUNDRA--NOT ENOUGH TO MAKE ME BUY IT

Share vehicle info.
XMAN

NEW TUNDRA--NOT ENOUGH TO MAKE ME BUY IT

Post by XMAN »

went and saw the new TUNDRA--I HAVE A 99 F-250 DIESEL with 65k on it--i was waiting for a year to see it and went to antioch toyota, i was not all that empressed with it--its really a 1/2 ton and alittle bigger than the late tundra--when toyota said they want to take the big guys on, i thought big truck--well it is bigger but not like with the room i have now--toyota asked the farmers in texas what they want and they said we want to sit in a truck with our cowboy hats on, when i sat in it there is no way you are going to do that--i had food in the car so i didnt drive it, but i hear that the 5.7 is the way to go, engine wise--the interior i did not really care for, the gauges you look though tubes to see them--im not a bucket seat guy, which is what it had--a mediocre interior at best for a SR5--its a beefy truck, but a medium beefy truck, my f250 was bigger inside--with mine now paid off i just was not swayed into spending 35k on a new 4x4 tundra sr5--when you are used to big,i guess you just like big---XMAN
Fishin' Dave

Re: NEW TUNDRA--NOT ENOUGH TO MAKE ME BUY IT

Post by Fishin' Dave »

One good thing about the trucks is they are built in San Antonio, Texas. That's more than you can say for Ford, Dodge, and GM.

As for the truck itself, Modesto Toyota has them out at the 100% Mother Lode tournaments and for a 1/2 ton, they are sweet. The motor is a clean V-8 and the disc brakes are huge. Some of the 1/2 tons out in recent years have had mini truck brakes and trannys. This is a good truck for towing a bass boat and other light hauling. That F-250 of your can haul an 11ft camper and the bass boat with no problem! It was built to haul 10 bass boats.
Don't be lame. It's just fishing; you are not the new mesiah you know! Check your attitude at the door Mr. Spinners on da boat trailer.

Re: NEW TUNDRA--NOT ENOUGH TO MAKE ME BUY IT

Post by Guest »

XMAN,

If you're considering any Toyota truck I would not even bother looking at the SR5. The Limited is the way to go both with the old model and the new model. There are differences in the chasis in the old model to the point where the truck drives completely different between the two. I seriously considered buying a Toyota a few months back but ended up with a Dodge 1500 5.7L Hemi 4x2 in Oct. If the new Toyota was available I would have most likely bought it, but it was delayed until Jan 07.

Having just drove 2231 miles to Havasu and back from Pleasanton, CA I'm glad I had the extra interior room in the Ram 1500. 10 hours on the road will change your perception as to "Too Much Room" or "Not Enough". After I bought the 1500 I also purchased the SuperChips, dual exhaust, side steps and an Under Cover Tonneau cover. Avg mileage (and I was driving fast) was just over 17MPG with the super chips on the 87 octane setting and 89 gas. Normally I'm looking at around 20-21 for my MPG when i'm not driving like a bat out of hell to/from the lake.

If you're currently used to a F-250 downgrading in size to a Toyota tundra will feel like a smaller truck. I think it's a good first attempt by Toyota and the gas mileage increase is a good sell for someone upgrading from an SUV like myself.

With any truck purchase you have to realize that the stock config will not meet everyone's needs especially if you're towing a boat. Price will obviously be a big factor between models, but you also should consider that you can install the after market accessories for 1/3 the cost from the dealer as well if you do it yourself (ebay, online, etc) or purchase/install from places like Valley Truck in Castro Valley.

BTW, if you do decide to go the Dodge route talk to Mike Reynolds. He's sporting a new Dodge with a custom wrap that says "Mike Reynolds. Grab Live By the Gills". Very cool truck wrap that he was sporting at the 100% Bass Delta tournament this past weekend. I just need to figure out where I can get a truck wrap like that.... and a girlfriend who will let me wrap my truck! :)