Non-Tox shotshell options for older guns

bozzo21

Non-Tox shotshell options for older guns

Post by bozzo21 »

Does anyone the options for an older 12gauge shotgun for duck hunting. I know that Bismuth is safe for it but it is getting harder to find since I had heard that the bismuth company went out of business. What about those Tungsten shells like Hevi-Shot. On their website they say it is safe. Do any of you have any experience with it?

Thanks
bunktheclown

Re: Non-Tox shotshell options for older guns

Post by bunktheclown »

I too have an older shotgun (winchester 1400 autoloader) that is not approved for Steel shot. Hevi shot is what I have been using and I have not noticed any scoring in the barrel. This stuff is great and hits hard!!

-jb
DDawg

Post by DDawg »

Can't believe no-one responded to these.

For older guns with tight chokes, Hevi- Shot is not the answer........ it's actually harder than steel.

Tungsten Matrix which has become cost prohibitive at $3 plus per shell, is your best bet.

The Winchester 1400 is safe for steel shot as are most single barrel shotguns made after the 60's. Tight choked barrels may end up with a bulge after shooting large size shot though.
Side X Side & Over/ Unders should be confirmed ok by the MFG. before shooting steel through them. Some have way too thin of barrels for steel shot.

Have a great season.
Dave
bozzo21

Post by bozzo21 »

Thanks for the reply,

I actually ended up getting a new benelli nova and am shooting steel shot now because I like shooting a shell for under a $1 better then shooting the hevi-shot or bismuth that is pushing $4 a shell. I know the latter two are much better shells. The side by side is going to stay as an upland gun for me.