Okuma Big bait heavy or Xheavy

Ceaser

Okuma Big bait heavy or Xheavy

Post by Ceaser »

Am looking to buy a couple of these rods for the wood baits I make. I throw 3-7 oz wood. My question is will the XH over power the smaller baits? Was gonna order 2 XH but thought I should ask someone with some experience with this line of rods. Any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance
Ceaser
Toxicbaits :wink:
is that glitter!? Nice boat tinkerbell!
Fish-styk

Re: Okuma Big bait heavy or Xheavy

Post by Fish-styk »

I think the biggest thing would be the length...7'6 or 7'11. I have 2 of the 7'11 Heavy. The shorter XH is a broom stick for sure. Havent handled the longer X-heavy. I throw alot of my trebled baits on the 7'11 Heavy and like the extra length and tip i get. I feel like ive kept more fish buttoned and havent ripped trebles out on hook sets or landing fish. My previous rod was just too stiff and i was losing fish. I throw anything from 6in hudds, to mattlures, 6in punkers, slammers and wake jr's no problem. I dont think the XH woood be overkill for a 3oz. bait, but my experience with them is limited. But the 7oz WOULD probaly be overkill for the Heavy. If u throw a large range of bait sizes u might be better off with one of each. Just my opinon....
Ceaser

Post by Ceaser »

I am definitly getting One Heavy 7'11" I am only concerned about that rod overpowering the Smaller baits (3 oz). For baits smaller than that, I am set up. Majority of my work is done with 3-5 oz baits. what size slammers do you throw on the Heavy?
Fish-styk

Post by Fish-styk »

Most the baits I throw are in that same range...3-5 oz. And even a few under that and the rod handles them all. I throw both the 7in and the 9in, but the becuase of the waters I fish the 7 gets used more. I think the wake jr. is the heaviest bait I throw and its close to 4 oz.
bassdaddy

Post by bassdaddy »

Are you talking about throwing these baits on mono, FC or braid?

For me, once you've decided the size/type of bait ,the answer to which rod is all about the line you intend to use.
Ceaser

Post by Ceaser »

throwing them on mono. got the heavy yesterday and seems to do well with the 3-4 oz baits. Just gonna have to get one of each i guess! :D
bassindon69

Post by bassindon69 »

XH all the way for me, 7'6" or 7'11" I want these for when a big one hits. So I stand a chance of getting it in.
Go Big or Go Home!
http://calfishing.com/gallery/v/members/bassindon69/basspics/
bassdaddy

Post by bassdaddy »

I own both...thankfully the price point of these rods allows it :D

I have been fortunate enough to land big swimbait fish on the 7'6" heavy, the 7'11 heavy and the 7"11 XHeavy, so I have confidence that all of them will do the job as far as fighting fish effectively. I like the XHeavy when I'm using mono or FC (which I have gotten away from for the most part), but I don't like it with braid. I believe Don is a mono guy, so that may explain the disparity in our opinions. I'm sure someone is thinking I could make the needed adjustments for the heavier rod power/lack of line stretch combintion with my drag setting, but I'm pretty much a locked-down-drag guy when I'm throwing swimbaits. That personal preference would be a different thread though. :roll:
Ceaser

Post by Ceaser »

I like to lock down the drag too. I dont like givin those big girls nuthin. I got the heavy for a really good deal and it seems it will do good but I will have to get a XH too... especially when im pitchin them tight to heavy cover out here on the delta.. I have ripped the trebles out of surging fish boatside with too heavy of an action rod so i have been trying to find a happy medium. Probably gonna get the Xheavy and use it for my 5 oz+ baits only. 75% of my swimbaiting is done with wood baits equipped with trebles and when they eat it with 10 ft of line out the wrong rod equals heartache.
Thanks for the good insight :mrgreen:
Ceaser
bassindon69

Post by bassindon69 »

I had a Heavy break on the hook set, that's why I don't use them :wink: Could have been a weak spot but I just wont take that chance again. I still had the 1st eye (broke just above it) 25 lb P line. It was funny trying to get it in, then it shook off just out of net range. it was only about 8 or 9 lbs.
Go Big or Go Home!
G-unit

Post by G-unit »

Ceasar I have one of each and it is perfect. I even started throwing the Small Cracker on my H, as opposed to a crankbait stick, because i like it so much. The XH is a great stick too and handles up to 8" swimmys awesome. Love those Okuma sticks man!
The Hard Deck for this Hop is 10 pounds
bassindon69

Post by bassindon69 »

I wasn't trting to say they are no good. I have used them and still do for years. Just XH only now. I will be getting an XXH soon (not Okuma). WOOOHOOO!
Good luck Ceasar!
Go Big or Go Home!
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

bassindon69 wrote:I wasn't trting to say they are no good. I have used them and still do for years. Just XH only now. I will be getting an XXH soon (not Okuma). WOOOHOOO!
Good luck Ceasar!
Man, that XXH will double as a power pole!
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
mmalinao

Post by mmalinao »

Before you drop cash on an Okuma, check out the new iRods. I just got my Jr. Swim in and it's nice and light with a good tip. It's rated for 1-4 oz, but I think you can get away with an 8" hud!

I am selling my 7'6" EXH Okuma if you want to buy it on the cheap. you can easily chuck those big swimbaits with this rod!

-Mike
-Mike Malinao
bassindon69

Post by bassindon69 »

mark poulson wrote:
bassindon69 wrote:I wasn't trting to say they are no good. I have used them and still do for years. Just XH only now. I will be getting an XXH soon (not Okuma). WOOOHOOO!
Good luck Ceasar!
Man, that XXH will double as a power pole!
I will let you know. :wink:
Go Big or Go Home!
zdbm2004

Post by zdbm2004 »

Hey Ceasar if you want to buy a used one, I have one for sale for $75 I live in the Bay Area. It doesn't have much use. I threw hudds, bbz, and an 8" Punker just fine. Let me know.
zmyers
zdbm2004

Post by zdbm2004 »

zdbm2004 wrote:Hey Ceasar if you want to buy a used one, I have one for sale for $75 I live in the Bay Area. It doesn't have much use. I threw hudds, bbz, and an 8" Punker just fine. Let me know.
Its the XH model 2-10oz.
zmyers
elfish16

Post by elfish16 »

I would second the Irod swimbait rods...they are amazingly sensitive for a swimbait rod and very light weight. Yet they have a good backbone. If you use the Large Swimbait rod its designed for hudds and throws them like a charm. the Jumbo rod will throw your bigger baits no problem.

I personally want the stiffest rod available on a swimbait...and so far that has made a HUGE difference is landing and losing fish on the trout bait

Eric
Eric Elshere

https://donssmokinsalmon.com
https://maxima-lines.com
bassindon69

Post by bassindon69 »

If your going to spend some money here is more to look at, these are sweet! :wink:
http://www.lowdowncustomrods.com/LDCR/Set.html
Go Big or Go Home!
Ceaser

Post by Ceaser »

got the Heavy from fish-styk and it works for the smaller baits. Nice rod but i hate that long handle! I do alot of roll casting and pitchin with these big baits and that thing gets stuck in my pocket sometimes.. chop chop! But i am going with the XH 7'11 for big wood (4oz+) and big rubber baits. I just dont think it has the power move a 8lb+ fish out of heavy cover when she eats my ROF 5 :wink: We will see and thanks alot for the insight. I will have to look at the jumbo iRod too.. I havent found a rod that had to heavy and action yet (maybe i should use my 6' yellowfin rod with a 50 wide, roller guides and dacron! :lol: )
G-unit

Post by G-unit »

The shimano crucial series are pretty burly. They are a little bit of money though. Will you post a picture of your CHOP job? i want to cut mine too. Love the stick, but im a pretty small dude so the handle is a little big for me
Ceaser

Post by Ceaser »

yeah i can do that.. or pm you a pic... probly gonna try to twist the end pistol off and cut the blank then just re epoxy the butt on it.. i have done it with other flippin stick no problem.
G-unit

Post by G-unit »

Yeah if its not too much trouble. Thats a good idea.
Ceaser

Post by Ceaser »

Sorry G-unit I didnt cut the rod. Its for sale or trade in the classifieds. Need the XH the H is too close to my $35 perfect wake/swimbait rods that I use for baits up to 3 ozs. these BPS Specials have never done me wrong and they just keep stackin up bodies. Sorry i couldnt help
Ceaser
DeltaBassBuster

Post by DeltaBassBuster »

I'm really enjoying my new Okuma 7'11" XHeavy swimbait rod I got for my birthday. Currently using one of my older Quantum reels with 65 lb Power Pro braid. I've currently been throwing a 5" Lunker Punker (injected), California Swim Jig (Renegade swim jig w/Robo Easy Shad), and the Robo Easy Shad by itself on a weighted Gami 5/0 Superline EWG hook. So far it has been a blast of an experience. Keep in mind I've also been using this new rod as my Punchin rod and has been working out really well.