Original Castaic Baits - $750 firm (SOLD)

Bill Hutcheson

Original Castaic Baits - $750 firm (SOLD)

Post by Bill Hutcheson »

For sale is a part of West Coast fishing history. This is a set of original Castaic lures baits from the early 1990's. Included are the original wooden Castaic trout mfg around 1992-93 by Ken Huddleston, Jason Scott, and Chomp Josephite and a second generation Castaic Trout produced by Chomp Josephite when he broke off from the company. Chomp died shortly thereafter and there were not a whole bunch of these baits made. Both large trout are in thier own display case.

A rare (only 50 produced) small trout with blue Castaic lures writing under the bill is also included in its own seperate display. The third display holds a baby bass (#400 in red writing under the bill) and a baby smallmouth bass (red writing under the bill - no serial #) in thier own display case. Trying to assemble such a collection today would be extremely difficult and here is your chance to get them all in one fell swoop.

Background: I worked for a company called SG Distributing from 1992 through 1996. At the time, I had a good amount of tackle that I was selling going overseas to Japan. This was also around the time that the Original Castaic Lure company was starting to produce baits. The Castaic Lure was new at the time and relatively expensive ($59.99 retail) so sales were sluggish. One of my Japanese clients visited me in the states and saw these baits. He was very excited about them and placed an order for 50 of the Original large trout, 200 of the baby largemouth bass, and 200 of the smallmouth bass - which at the time were not even produced, but his order caused Ken Huddleston and the crew to go ahead and produce that pattern. After the baits sat for a few years in Japan, the client hardly sold any of them due to thier size and novelty. He asked that I take them back and I agreed. Much of what I took back I sold on E-Bay previously in 1999 and the remainder of the bulk of my product was sold to a west coast collector, Don Osborne. The set you see above was the last of my personal collection and I am now willing to part with these and pass this peice of history along to someone else.

These baits are all original, new, and unfished.
Attachments
Small Trout (500x333).jpg
Small Trout (500x333).jpg (132.2 KiB) Viewed 2256 times
Baby Bass (500x333).jpg
Baby Bass (500x333).jpg (157.95 KiB) Viewed 2257 times
Large Trout (500x333).jpg
Large Trout (500x333).jpg (133 KiB) Viewed 2260 times
Last edited by Bill Hutcheson on Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Make it idiot proof and someone will invent a better idiot
Ceaser

Re: Original Castaic Baits - $750 firm

Post by Ceaser »

Those baits look like they need to be fished!
is that glitter!? Nice boat tinkerbell!