If you ain't got one......

Smile_n_Jax

If you ain't got one......

Post by Smile_n_Jax »

they you'd better get one. I'm talking about a hydrofoil. Don't know if it applies to you big motor guys, but if you have a small motor like me it will definitely make a difference.

I bought a Stingray XP1 hopeing it would help my boat's stability. Oh boy, did it ever. Where it used to take me about 5 or 6 seconds to get out of the hole with the bow coming way up, it now pops up right away at minimum throttle. My boat also rides so much better through wakes and swells. I can also throttle back and maintain the same speed. I am so impressed with the difference in performance it's made me much more comfortable when motoring on the lake.

I would strongly recommend that anyone with a smaller engine to get a hydrofoil. I got mine from Overtons.com for $65 shipped. Money well spent.
Jax Keilman
"I may be crazy, but it's kept me from going insane" - Waylon Jennings
'89 Stratos 269V, 90HP Yamaha. Small, but I love it.
Rod Martin

Re: If you ain't got one......

Post by Rod Martin »

thanks I just went down to a smaller boat. 16' champion with a 90. was thinking about just that.
Fish Chris

Post by Fish Chris »

Hey Smile_n_Jax, I totally agree. I had a 12 ft aluminum with a Honda 9.9 on it for nearly 10 years. The hydrofoil just made a night and day difference with all performance aspects.

So then, when I got my "dreamboat" last year, a 14 1/2 ft aluminum G3 with a 25 hp Yamaha, I put a hydrofoil on it too.

I can't imagine ever having a boat without a hydro foil. A small boat anyway..... and if I ever found myself with a big boat, I'd sell it the same day anyway.

But with all of this said, I bought a hydro foil for a buddy, who has a 16 ft aluminum deep-V and a 60 hp Merc, and for whatever reason, it slowed his top end by like 6 mph ! Not sure what the problem was. Installed it just as they said too. Hmmm.

Peace,
Fish
G3 Boats
a Yamaha Boat Company

Okuma fishing tackle

TUF-Line by Western Filament

www.TrophyBassOnly.com
....or from here, find links to
Trophy Sportfish .com
and Fish Chris Photo .com
Smile_n_Jax

Post by Smile_n_Jax »

Yea Chris, I haven't seen any increase in speed. At 4500 rpm it does about 40mph gps. Haven't really tired it at wide open yet. But, then I installed a new trim tab (my old one vibrated loose and came off). And I notice the boat doesn't want to go straight. If I center the wheel it goes right. I have to crank the wheel 90 degrees left to keep it straight. Need to adjust the trim tab. Just don't know how much. Will be a learning process. Just hope it doesn't take too long to find the right setting.
Jax Keilman
DeltaDan

Post by DeltaDan »

Smilin' -- Are you able to get more bowlift w/o purposing now?

I have an alunimum 18.5' flatbottom john boat style flat hull...... and I am sort of considering this.

What HP is your engine, make and year engine and boat??
You know, we always called each other goodfellas. Like, you'd say to somebody: "You're gonna like this guy; he's all right. He's a goodfella. He's one of us." You understand? We were goodfellas, wiseguys.

[b]Team LL [/b] (2006 ~ And Beyond !! )
Gator

Post by Gator »

WEll Dan - I can tell you this from Jax's signature -

'89 Stratos 269V, 90HP Yamaha.
DeltaDan

Post by DeltaDan »

.. There you go making me look stupid again Bro..... Or do I still continue to do that naturally myself. :idea: :lol:

Gator--- Does Smilin's boat have more bow lift now with less purposing? :wink: -- Or should I stay tuned to his signature as well for that answer? Image
You know, we always called each other goodfellas. Like, you'd say to somebody: "You're gonna like this guy; he's all right. He's a goodfella. He's one of us." You understand? We were goodfellas, wiseguys.

Smile_n_Jax

Post by Smile_n_Jax »

Dan, the bow hardly lifts at all. Just a little, then it's up on plane. I mean in 1 to 2 seconds. Then it seems to ride with the bow almost down. And the ride is great. Like I told Chris, I need to adjust the trim tab to straighten the boat out. Then I'll be able to see how fast it will go. Whatever that may be, I'll be happy with 40mph.
Jax Keilman
DeltaDan

Post by DeltaDan »

Thanks Smillin' Image

Just ordered it delivered for $56.24 -- shipped ups ground from iBoats. Image

-- I actually am wanting a little more bow lift- I start to pourpse when trimmed up to high.

Mitch

Re: If you ain't got one......I got one I'll sell

Post by Mitch »

If anyone is looking for one, I have a brand new one never used I'll let go for $ 25.00 plus shipping. Contact Mitch @ 559 307-1503
DeltaDan

Re: If you ain't got one......I got one I'll sell

Post by DeltaDan »

Crap Mitch ~!! :roll:

To bad your name is not Geico and your Foil is not on listed the Western Bass Classifieds !!

You could of saved me alot of money.....

:lol: :lol:

not4un

Post by not4un »

Do you guys know if it makes much difference for an 18ft boat w/150 on it?
green_monster

Post by green_monster »

I'm also curious whether it would make much of a difference on my Tracker. I have a 1999 Tracker Pro Team 185 (18.5 feet) with a 60 horse Mercury - 2 stroke. Only had the boat for a few months and seems to get on plane really well however, this is my first boat and wouldn't know much difference. Any suggestions? Is it worth getting a hydrofoil? Thanks!
"Work is for people who don't know how to fish!" unknown

http://www.folsombassteam.com
Smileee

Post by Smileee »

Yes, it makes a difference. I had a 17'10" Dyna Trak w/150 hp and installed the hydrofoil - eliminated porpoise, got on plane faster and dug into turns without side slip.

Smileee
Smileee
Rod Martin

Post by Rod Martin »

well Delta Bait in Manteca had a couple of differnt ones. Got one for about $45. :D
Smile_n_Jax

Post by Smile_n_Jax »

Justin, I would venture to say it would help considerably. My boat's a bit smaller at 16' 9" and my motor is bigger, but then again it's pushing a glass boat. I found the difference to be very impressive, but as I stated earlier, I have yet to adjust the trim tab properly, so I don't know what the overall results will be. But I'm confident I will be even more impressed.
Jax Keilman