Float tube of kick boat??

not4un

Float tube of kick boat??

Post by not4un »

I am looking at buying a float tube or a kick boat don't know a whole lot about them and the pros and cons to each. I will be fishing some private ponds and some river fishing and a little lake fishing also. Anyone have any experience with either of these? I'll be bass fishing. Any help would be appreciated.
Sacto John

Re: Float tube of kick boat??

Post by Sacto John »

I personally love the options that a kick boat gives you. More room, higher in the water, easier to customize, ect. Go check out the Bass 'N' Tubes forum on calfishing.com. Lots of knowledgeable and helpful guys over there.

http://www.calfishing.com/dc/dcboard.ph ... cs&forum=6
L Dub

Post by L Dub »

I recently purchased my first float tube and I'm loving it. I got one with a U shape. I've heard good things about the V shaped hull tubes in that you sit a little higher in the water and some of them have space behind the seat for storage.

I would like to get a kickboat, but it's too big and bulky to transport if you don't have a truck.

I would look at it as a matter of budget. A kickboat costs twice as much as a float tube.

Either way, go for it!
Sacto John

Post by Sacto John »

In response to the transportability of they kick boat vs a float tube, you do not need a truck to haul a kick boat around. Sure the float tube will be more portable but I used to keep my kick boat broken down in the back on my VW hatch back. It only takes me about 5-10 minutes to get it put together and ready to fish when it is broken down. I still do not have a truck and I transport the kickboat, fully assembled on the roof of my Subaru wagon, and my buddy does the same with a Honda Civic hatchback.
Joe W.

Post by Joe W. »

As far as tubes go. Get a U shape or a V shape, they are slightly faster and easier to kick around in than the round tube type. The pros of the tube are they are light, easy to launch anywhere and you can stay in position better than a Kick boat since you are more in the water than out of the water. More drag and the wind won't push you around as much. They are also less expensive than a good Pontoon/Kick boat.

Kick boats, or pontoon boats are freaking sweet. I had a Trout unlimited Colorado. 9 footer with a 36lbs thust trolling motor on back. It was great and I loved that boat. It was heavy though, and wasn't fun to drag down to the water if you couldn't drive all the way to the water's edge. With mine you had the boat, 75lbs, battery, another 20 or so, the trolliing motor, another 10 pounds or so all your gear.....you get the idea, it gets heavy. The good part is you can cover more water, they are WAY faster than a tube, you're completely out of the water and you can carry more stuff. You don't have to go the trolling motor route though. You can row it around too and that will take a lot fof the weight off. I liked the trolling motor though. You'll need to register the pontoon if you put a motor on it though. Without the motor, no registration is required.

I think it's just going to come down to what you want out of the boat, and where you plan on using it most. I personally prefer the kick boat.

Hope that helps.
fishbonz412

Post by fishbonz412 »

when you say "fully assembled", do you mean you have the pontoons inflated too? Or do you mean the frame is fully assembled (and you still have to inflate and attach the pontoons)?

I fit the frame in the back of my 4-runner, then just inflate the pontoons and connect when I reach the launch site. attaching all the other gear (rod holders, cooler, oars) takes time too....

CW.
--Sometimes it is best to be quiet and be thought the fool than to speak out and remove all doubt---
Sacto John

Post by Sacto John »

Fully assembled includes inflated pontoons. Now I do not fully inflate them but they are full enough so they don't bend while traveling 60MPH + on the freeway.
Phil

Post by Phil »

personal pontoon boat with oars, turns on a dime, can go down smaller rivers like we do in the Tuolumne and Stanislaus... all for around $ 300 to $ 350.00 at JIGS....I love mine. leave fully blown up, takes half apart with just pins.......easier to haul .
g-man

Post by g-man »

If the ponds you are planning to fish are big, than a kick boat will get you around alot faster. "Oars" are faster than feet. And you can also put a trolling motor on them. I have both a kick boat, and a float tube. I use the float tube for small ponds, and the kick boat for Lakes, and big ponds. You can store alot more stuff on a kickboat, and they are more stable. Your higher outta the water too, so you can see alittle better whats around you.
ppickerell

Neither

Post by ppickerell »

Kayak! Cover a LOT more ground
02 Champion 206 DC Elite
Bobber Lobber
L Dub

Hate to change the subject, but....

Post by L Dub »

Who's gonna be on their tubes/ pontoons in McCovey Cove in about a week or two?
getalife

Post by getalife »

I started out with a tube with the SCBBBC and eventually went to a kick boat. The answer to your question is... both. They each have their uses. The kick boat is great if you want to compete in tournaments, and the float tube is perfect for those little farm ponds that we all visit from time to time. Of course.. A Stratos bass boat will spoil you and tempt you to give away your inflatable devices. Take it from me, dont ever give up your tube!
CATCHEMCARO

Post by CATCHEMCARO »

It doesn't matter which boat you chose, you'll have a great time on the water. Just be sure of one thing, which ever one you chose, Round tube, U-boat or kick boat, be sure to buy a Bucksbag. They make the highest quality of all the brands. I have been around the sport for a long time and their all great boats, but Bucksbag is by far the best.

Rich
WWW.SCBBBC.COM
http://catchemcarobaits.com/index.html