Clear Lake Grounds

Blade Runner 11

Clear Lake Grounds

Post by Blade Runner 11 »

Might as well get a bunch of questions out of the way. I'm a bay area deck hand that catchs salmon so he can spend more money on bass tackle. Just got a used ranger and fished it for the first time last week at clear lake and did well. A few questions from being on the water. We fished the oaks and did well in the morning pitchin jigs till about 1130. Does anyone have a go to color and trailer? we used pork but its such a pain I would rather use plastic. I have a go to crank bait and color at almost every lake any suggestions? Mid day the bit shut off the high sun killed us. Where do most of you guys go when the sun goes high? Also im going to try to camp up on the lake a few nights this week any spots you think I should check out?
Skeeterman

Re: Clear Lake Grounds

Post by Skeeterman »

Ive been using brownpurple jigs with brown Yama trailor. Cranks craw colors. Tules docks what ive been hitting.Camping try the state park.
Caudawg

Post by Caudawg »

Blade Runner: I was a deckhand out of Half Moon Bay for around 7 years and I too worked my butt off to support my growing bass habit. I worked for (the now defunct) Pillar Point Fishing Trips and Bill Beckett on the Moby Dick. Those were some awesome days of learning and working hard. And I truly believe that I learned a lot about fishing that translated over to my bass fishing career. So keep those eyes open and senses sharp...even while salmon, rock cod and albacore fishing. It will help you to ultimately be a better bass fisherman! I'm sure, if you'v got enough time "at sea", you know what I mean. It's all about developing instincts.

Anyway, regarding Clear Lake mid day... I like to look for docks with good shade. Floating docks and ladders make a dock even better.

I like to fling 1/2 oz rattlin' baits (Traps, Spots, etc) in chrome or crawdad colors...focussing on the shady side or under the docks. I also suggest throwing quiet deep diving crankbaits (balsa or cedar) on the same docks where I just caught some fish on noisy baits. It's a great change-up technique that might get you a couple extra bass off a dock. Then, I might even skip a gitzit or senko up under that same dock...and catch a couple more.

One thing you should keep track of is what was special about that dock that you caught a few fish off of? Once you identify certain characteristics about a dock (depth, amount of shade, proximity to deeper water, floating dock etc), look for other docks or stretches of docks with similar characteristics.

Another thing...keep your eyes on the grebes. When you see groups of grebes moving closer to docks, you'll often find that the bass are "activated" on those docks. Grebes will work a school of shad or silversides...pushing them toward the bank. And of course, the bass go into "ambush mode" as the grebes create pandamonium. This same situation works on the rockpiles...so keep your eyes open.
(This is easy for a deckhand to understand! :wink: )

There are a ton of different techniques that also work mid day. But I thought I'd share my first thoughts on the subject. Clear Lake is my favorite lake so I hope my advice is helpful to you.
Mort

Post by Mort »

From other people on the site, the best grubs/trailers are 164 on a brown/purple jig, and 180 on brown/orange jig. I am going to clear lake for the second time ever this next week and am going to give them a shot myself as well as senkos, frogs, flukes, and everything else I can think of.

good luck
Chuck Norris destroyed the periodic table, because he only recognizes the element of surprise.
GITBIT

Post by GITBIT »

Caudog,

.....and to think, I use to think you were all hype. :lol: Hey, that was a great post. These types of threads are what makes this web site a geat place to visit. All the bickering, insults, and cliques make it hard sometimes. We should all take a lesson.

Great to see ya getting back in the game.

GITBIT
I know you are but what am I?
Caudawg

Post by Caudawg »

Thanks for the welcome back Gitbit! I've been out o' the loop a while but will get back to tournament fishing some day soon. I've got a lot of catching up to do...but this forum is definitely helpful for guys like me to keep up with what's hot and what's not.

There's a hundred + ways to catch bass on Clear Lake in the summer. These were just my initial thoughts. I'll bet others can chime in with some more great ways to catch 'em when the summer sun is beating down.

I hope to see you and Mikie on the water soon. Maybe this fall???
John Caulfield
Big Rock Sports- Territory Sales Manager (Norcal)
Freelance Outdoor Writer
GITBIT

Post by GITBIT »

Taking my two boys to Clear Lake at the end of the month. Hope the bite stays good enough to keep them interested. Maybe those countless Saturday mornings of fishing shows that they love so much :lol: will pay off.

Haider
I know you are but what am I?