Fishing Line Advise!!!

G-Man

Fishing Line Advise!!!

Post by G-Man »

Thinking of pruchasing 3 different brands to try out. Does anyone have an opinion on the brands listed below. Would really appreciate the feedback. Thanks in advance.

1. Berkley Sentation. 8lb test for dropshot
2. Sufix Siege and Elite. 8, 10, 12 or 17lb.
3. P-Line CX Premium. 10, 12 or 17lb.
BOB G

Re: Fishing Line Advise!!!

Post by BOB G »

> Thinking of pruchasing 3 different brands to
> try out. Does anyone have an opinion on the
> brands listed below. Would really appreciate
> the feedback. Thanks in advance.

> 1. Berkley Sentation. 8lb test for dropshot
> 2. Sufix Siege and Elite. 8, 10, 12 or 17lb.
> 3. P-Line CX Premium. 10, 12 or 17lb.

it becomes a personal prefernce so you have to try all you can ... example some guys like p-line and i wouldn't put in on my dogs leash let alone any of my reels. i've just seen it break many times when i didn't think it should . others say its great .. just my .02
Scott

Post by Scott »

I have to agree-I am NOT a P-line fan either especially on spinning reels! TOO much memory=loops=birdsnest=@*&%)!I prefer McCoy's Mean Green or Cajun Red Lightning myself for just plain ol mono. I have to admit I thought about trying the Siege line but havent yet.Tight Lines
Scott

> it becomes a personal prefernce so you have
> to try all you can ... example some guys
> like p-line and i wouldn't put in on my dogs
> leash let alone any of my reels. i've just
> seen it break many times when i didn't think
> it should . others say its great .. just my
> .02
Burke

Post by Burke »

I use to use P-line CXX but switched to Berkeley Transition. The last draw using CXX was having 4 line breaks on hooksets in ONE day. I had used it for about 2 years and had 2 almost full 3000 yard spools (14 lb and 17 lb) that I gave away because I was so pissed off with the line.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Ryan Pearson

P-LIne

Post by Ryan Pearson »

P-Line is by far the best line out there, I use their Flourocarbon for all my finesse reels, and for my flippin stick, and there cxx for my cranks, rips, and blades....I have only broken off a few times, and those were mostly my fault for not retying when flippin for a long time..anyways you cant go wrong with the stuff, its awesome!!!

ryan
Joe Bruce

Post by Joe Bruce »

Any line out there will break your heart if you let it.
I pay for premuim line and still have issues. treat it right and it lasts. Replace and stretch test your line before any event. Only takes a few minuets and will show week spots no matter how old or new.
Fish Chris

Monofilament ???

Post by Fish Chris »

How do I type the 'fart' sound ? :-) Sorry, but you asked for opinions..... Mine is, you can either use braided line, or leave me with the advantage.

braided spectra (not fused) = fishing line
monofilament = stretchy, crappy, rubberband

Peace,
Fish

> Thinking of pruchasing 3 different brands to
> try out. Does anyone have an opinion on the
> brands listed below. Would really appreciate
> the feedback. Thanks in advance.

> 1. Berkley Sentation. 8lb test for dropshot
> 2. Sufix Siege and Elite. 8, 10, 12 or 17lb.
> 3. P-Line CX Premium. 10, 12 or 17lb.
Hippie/Mark

Re: P-LIne, DItto Ditto Ditto.....

Post by Hippie/Mark »

Get a darthead with 8 lb Flourclear stuck in a Rock, It aint gonna break!!! Strong, Smooth and invisible most of all dependable!!

Hipster
RogerB

Leader?

Post by RogerB »

OK, Fish. I got it...you strongly prefer braid.
Do you use a fluorocarbon or mono leader? If so, what knot do you use to affix it to the braid (Uni-knot or other)?
How long is your leader? Less than rod length, or long enough to put a couple of coils on the reel during the cast?
Thanks,

...RogerB
Scott B

Post by Scott B »

I recently put floroclear on a few rods and had fish breaking off on hook sets and when in the fight. I returned all the line. I have tied the same knots with Stren extra strength with no problems. The stuff is affordable and 8lb. on a spinning outfit is great. 02
Scott
saLTIE-

i use p-line, and yozuri...np.....

Post by saLTIE- »

ok..........
.........well i love CXX-pline, but i use it only when i throw big or solid baits that ARE NOT in the plactic's family (worms, senko, lizards, flukes, etc)...i will use it to flip, rip, working a buzzbait over timber, deep crank or shallow, a heavey jig, spoon, that stuff, topwater, ...get what i mean?..these presentation you can live with the memory BECAUSE it will not matter as much. these presentatio you will not have to be as cautious if say, A BASS IS SWIMMING OFF WITH YOUR SENKO ON SLACK LINE>...........
..........the reason is cxx is STRONG, very abrasion resistant, it runs in a larger diameter aswell...i have had stipers wrap me around the junk and still win!! you can use 12 and it compares to most 14 or 15...
......for all the rest i use yozuri this is very good stuff asswell. if you are looking for a finess low key presentation go this way.....excellent stuff...
....but i don't care what u use, braid, mono, flouracarbon..CHECK YOUR LINE AND KNOTS....it will save your hiney...........saLTIE-
Andy Giannini

Re: P-LIne, DItto Ditto Ditto.....

Post by Andy Giannini »

> > Smooth and invisible most of all
> dependable!!

> Sounds like some kind of superhero!

HAR!

A.G.
Fish Chris

Hey Roger B..... and Scott B...

Post by Fish Chris »

Yes, I do use a flourocarbon or mono leader. And BTW, I had the exact same problem breaking off P-Line Fluoroclear ! That stuff is garbage ! Only tried it because I ran out of Seaguar and was in a pinch.
My leaders run anywhere from 30" to 60". Depending on water clarity, type of fishing, etc. I use a blood knot to connect my braided main line to my mono leader. Kind of a 3-handed knot, but very strong. I often straigten hooks, or break at the palomar (another very strong knot) at the hook, after a snag.

Lest anyone rib me with, "If I like braid so much, why do I use a mono / fluoro leader" ??? Well, the answers are, A) To provide a bit of a shock absorber for my virtually non-stretch braid, B) because a high "quality" fluorocarbon leader has better abrasion resistance around rocks, and C) (for what its worth... probably not much, most of the time) fluorocarbon is much less visible to the fish.

Hey Roger, about casting the blood knot through my guides.... Hmmmmmm.... I really don't care too. I do once in a while with my longer leaders for swimbaits, but more often, I just do more of a long pendulum cast, with a lot of line out. Admittedly, that "knot through the guides" thing, is the one little pain I have to deal with, but if that's what it takes to have the best possible link between me and the fish, I'll just have to deal with it.

Hope this helps,
Fish

> OK, Fish. I got it...you strongly prefer
> braid.
> Do you use a fluorocarbon or mono leader? If
> so, what knot do you use to affix it to the
> braid (Uni-knot or other)?
> How long is your leader? Less than rod
> length, or long enough to put a couple of
> coils on the reel during the cast?
> Thanks,

> ...RogerB
RogerB

Thanks, Fish...

Post by RogerB »

Yes, it helps, and I value your insights highly.
I certainly agree with your reasons for using the leasder.
You can get away with not casting the blood knot through the guides because you use spinning tackle almost exclusively, right? That lob-cast works fine on spinning tackle, in fact, back when I was doing tournament distance casting with spinning tackle, we found the lob-cast was the most effective for increasing distance.
I've been casting a Uni-knot through the guides of my casting rods without difficulty, for what that's worth.
Have you had no difficulty using the Blood Knot with fluorocarbon leaders? I much prefer it over the Uni-knot (easier to tie and smaller), but I've had the impression it slips when used with fluorocarbon and braid.
Thanks for your help, as always,
...RogerB
RogerB

Only after a big plate of beans!!! *NM*

Post by RogerB »

Fish Chris

But hey, wait a minute.....

Post by Fish Chris »

It's not losing a .50 cent dart head that I worry about !
It's the first two times, back to back, that I hooked nice Clear Lk. bass using 8 lb P-Line Fluoroclear, as a leader on my micro light, and broke them both off during the fight, that bothered the heck out of me ! That brand new spool of P-Line went straight in the trash. Been back to using Seaguar Carbon Pro ever since, and "never" break them off during a normal back-n-forth fight..... not even with big bass, from trophy ponds. Guess I should be glad that my P-Line experience happened at Clear Lk. with 6 to 8 lb'ers.

Maybe I just got a bad spool...... But then, of all the spools of Seaguar I have been through, I never got a bad one of those. Hmmmmm.

BTW, in my experiences, Berkeley Vanish (I have heard it has since been reformulated), and BPS house brand were lousy too.

I hear good things about Sugoi, but have never tried it.

Peace,
Fish

> Get a darthead with 8 lb Flourclear stuck in
> a Rock, It aint gonna break!!! Strong,
> Smooth and invisible most of all
> dependable!!

> Hipster
Hippie/Mark

Re: Chris you have two problems here.....................

Post by Hippie/Mark »

My Gammy Heads are more the fifty cent a piece!! HAR!!! and I never ever ever ever would use a leader!! The more knots you put between you and the fish the bigger chance there is for breakage!! Just my four thousand cents!!! One knot man for all applications!!!!!!!!!!
Try the Flouroclear as a main line??

Hipster
Fish Chris

I hear you Mark....

Post by Fish Chris »

and I used to say the same thing myself, about avoiding extra links for a possible failure, but being able to use a braided main line with a high quality fluorocarbon leader is just too much of a great thing to pass up, because of one extra connection..... one connection that has never failed me while fighting a fish, no less.

As a matter of fact, I did try fluorocarbon as a main line, last year for the Clear Lk. Crappie..... and I was quickly reminded of how kinky, coily, unsensitive, and overall lousy monofiliment is as a main line.

Honestly, if I ever had to go back to mono, I think I would quit fishing and take up badmitten or something :-)

Peace,
Fish

PS, If I were totally against any extra connections between me and the hook (like I used to be), I'd still be using straight braid.

> My Gammy Heads are more the fifty cent a
> piece!! HAR!!! and I never ever ever ever
> would use a leader!! The more knots you put
> between you and the fish the bigger chance
> there is for breakage!! Just my four
> thousand cents!!! One knot man for all
> applications!!!!!!!!!!
> Try the Flouroclear as a main line??

> Hipster
Cooch

Hmmmm, badmitten eh?

Post by Cooch »

When'd they start making those raquets out of braid? I always thought they was some form of Monfilament. HAR! HAR! HAR!

Cooch
Fish Chris

Re: Hmmmm, badmitten eh? *NM*

Post by Fish Chris »

Fish Chris

Well hey Cooch....

Post by Fish Chris »

Your right.... and if I absolutely had to use mono, I'd rather use it on a badmitten raquet, than a fishing reel :-) LOL

Take care,
Fish

> When'd they start making those raquets out
> of braid? I always thought they was some
> form of Monfilament. HAR! HAR! HAR!

> Cooch
Andy Giannini

Re: Well hey Cooch....

Post by Andy Giannini »

> Yeah, but but I use a high end graphite racket that will absolutely redline with low stretch braid!

HAR!

Just kidding around. It is quite sensitive though!

A.G.