Retirement from the Navy

Scott D.

Retirement from the Navy

Post by Scott D. »

Well, I am at the 5 month mark until I retire from 20 years of Naval service. The scary part is that I don't know where I'm going, or what I'm doing for a new job. Wish I could just fish!!!
Navy Chief proudly serving to protect this great nation. God Bless America
mac (Doyle McEwen)

Re: Retirement from the Navy

Post by mac (Doyle McEwen) »

Been there, done that..Truthfully, you will be disappointed in just about any new job you find..But as always you will adapt and do just fine..If I were you right now, I would think seriously about leaving this great state..There are many places where the cost of living isn't quite so high..Good luck on what ever you decide to do..

mac
Take a kid fishing, and don't forget about us older kids either..
Scott D.

Post by Scott D. »

I hear ya Mac. I have thought about leaving the state, but I just can't think of a place with better fishing than here. Oh crap, I just opened the door for someone to steal this thread!!! HEY, thread thieves, don't even think about it!!!! Anyway, I'm originally from Oregon, but don't really want to move back up there. I have thought about maybe Ashland area so that I'm reasonably close to the lakes in Northern Cali. Guess it's just where the opportunity pops up.
BassTraveler

Post by BassTraveler »

One of my favorite stories I ever heard was the man who was in the Bird Cage.
He had his face up against the bars. He was dieing to get out, but he just couldn't squeeze his head and body between the bars.
All along the door to the back of the cage was open.
When you say you don't know what to do...may I make a suggestion?
Quit trying to go through the bars and look for a back door.
Even if it's closed, find another one that's open somewhere.
You never know what that door will open up.

Your GodSon's father might be able to help you with some suggestions?

Just a suggestion! :wink:

BTW...Leave California and you Leave Big Bass! :shock:
[url=http://www.nosweatmist.com/][img]http://www.westernbass.com/shared/sponsors/150x50/nosweat.jpg[/img][/url]
www.nixonsmarine.com
mac (Doyle McEwen)

Post by mac (Doyle McEwen) »

There are jobs available here in California, maybe not doing what you want to do, but then again, if you are not sure it might be worth a shot..I know what you mean about the fishing, and I am from Texas, great fishing there too..What rate are you, I probably asked before, but I don't remember..

mac
Take a kid fishing, and don't forget about us older kids either..
Pil9rotten

Post by Pil9rotten »

Chief,
Congrats on the Retirement. I am in the proess of retiring after 27 years with the Coast Guard Reserve. Doesn't the Navy still have Family Service Centers? A few years back I recall a program called T.A.M.P. or something similar. After doing 13 years active duty the Navy Family Service Centers were a great resource for determining what I wanted to do after A.D. and they taughtme alot about esume writing and interviewing. I have no idea what your rate is but chances are that you have very marketable skills that will directly transfer to the civilian sector. Go see them and use the resources available its an investment in yourself that's well worth it. There is life after serving. It's been 14 years since I left A.D. but what the FSC taught me is still with me today. Usually there's a bit of rivalry beteen us Coasties and the Navy but we are all vets once we leave the service feel free to e-mail me if you have any questions.

Kenji
USCG (ret)
BM - USCG Expeditionary Warfare
Pat

Post by Pat »

Greetings Scott, from one Chief to another, though I am an Air Force Chief, retired. I spent almost 24 years and have adapted well. I don't know what you have done to prepare so far, but any education certificates, degreees or credentials you can acquire will do you well once you get out. That and your military service experience will carry a lot when you give that final salute. Pil's advice about seeking assistance with resume prep and job skill analysis is right on the mark. Next week it will be 15 years since I bid the Air Force farewell, and now I am looking forward to the next "real retirement" from my second career.

Good luck and I am also happy to help if I can.

Pat
Chief Master Sergeant, USAF, Ret
DeltaDan

Post by DeltaDan »

Congratulations Scott -- And thanks for your service.

I can say that the oil refineries DO hire a great size of retired military people with 20+ years. (They know they will not have to pay full pensions, their medical is covered, and the company contributions to the 401k will take three years to attain of full 10% gross income of Company Contributions -- CHEAP BASSTURDS !! :twisted: )

Where I work -- there is a BIG attrition from those with 28-35+ years of service. Alot also accuried their years of seniority from 'Nam-- and some are even going back to serve in Iraq after they re-inlisted.

I am away from work currently till beginng of August -- But I can suggest that if that if that field of employment is something that interest you...... Keep checking Craiglsit, Monstor and Contra Costa Times while I am away.

I was privilaged to help trained a FNG after he was hired after he retired from the AF after 20 years just 4 months ago. He was stationed at Travis with his wife that ranks higher than him.

He took the test- Passed it and the interviews .... Working O.T. like a dog because he does not fish and loves working with other crews... ---- He is gona have to adjust his W-2's for next year for sure. :lol:

---If anything comes up that I hear of upon my return or prior to posting... I will PM you.

Cheers,
Dan
Last edited by DeltaDan on Wed Jul 25, 2007 6:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
You know, we always called each other goodfellas. Like, you'd say to somebody: "You're gonna like this guy; he's all right. He's a goodfella. He's one of us." You understand? We were goodfellas, wiseguys.

[b]Team LL [/b] (2006 ~ And Beyond !! )
Smile_n_Jax

Post by Smile_n_Jax »

Scott, I'm sure you can find something to your liking. Being a Navy Chief, you have at the least management skills. And I sure there are many more things you can add to the work force.

And I'd like to thank you for your service to out country. It's men like you who keep this country strong and the best in the world.
Jax Keilman
"I may be crazy, but it's kept me from going insane" - Waylon Jennings
'89 Stratos 269V, 90HP Yamaha. Small, but I love it.
Hollywood

Post by Hollywood »

an FNG, ha ha, gotta love them, hey FNG, take out the trash!, go sweep the pway FNG...
Marty

Post by Marty »

Scott,

Congratulations on your upcoming Retirement – it is a learning experience. The biggest adjustment I had to make was how I converse with others. I did not have bars on my shoulder any more – it was a shock to see their face when you told them something. They just did not know who I thought I was!

The economy is wide open right now and you should do good because of your work ethic from the Navy. Some of the smartest military come from the Navy and that is coming from an Army grunt. The only advice I would give you is to sit down and review the things you done in your last 20 years – write them down. Once that is done – go back to each and rate the ones you think you did good at (no one is going to see this list it is just your). Then ask which one did you like the most. I know some of the jobs I had in the Army that I did real good at and I did not like the job. This is important because you want to be happy at what your doing – you will not be getting a new job every 3 years. That job will be it!

Even better is if you have the Cojones is open your own business – and today they are more people going that way. I think Seig was leading you that way – people have more money and just don’t know what to do with it but spend it.

One last bit of advice – think cash – if you don’t have the cash to buy then don’t buy. Own no one! You just don’t know how many people live on the edge – pay check to pay check and they lose their job and they don’t have anything. Always keep telling yourself you can live off your retirement if you need too.

I listed a few web sites that may help you. Good luck!

https://thor.aafes.com/ics/default.asp

https://www.triwest.com/triwest/default.html

https://www.usaa.com/inet/ent_logon/Logon
Pil9rotten

Post by Pil9rotten »

Jax is dead on about the management thing. Its an adjustment transitioning into the civilian side. Just remember to not go into "Chief mode" Civilians don't know what it means when you tell them "Turn to, I wanna see nothing but asses and elbows!" I left active duty because I was a single dad and did not want to use my son as an excuse to skate out of sea duty and the like so I left and went reserve. I also had to follow my dream and become a Police Officer which I did for about 4 years. I landed right into hotel work after that. The funny thing is that I never considered hotels as a place for me because I am the "Asses and elbows" Boatswainsmate (Very different than USN BM's). But what made me a success was my ability to shoot straight from the hip and to manage people, processes and situations. THOSE are the skills I learned in the military and they are what made me successful. I have managed up to 60 people and 5 departments. Not much different than a boat crew, deck force or fire team except for the level of political correctness and "tact" I have to use. I now work as a Director of Loss Prevention for Westin Hotels and am on track for a possible regional position. The hands on work I did in uniform prepped me for this and has always been my driving force. Focus but don't freak out. It's wonderful being a civilian and you will land on your feet running. The military is like a closed society, the hardest part for me in leaving besides the comraderie was fretting about insurance and housing. Looking back at that, I wish I had used that energy to get on a bit of a faster track. Seeing that your at NAS Lemoore you are probably an airdale and have awesome managerial skills. Use the resources available to you before and after you get out, focus and enjoy life. Thanks to Jax for bringing up the management issue. I totally missed the most obvious skill we as leaders learned while in uniform.

Stay Safe and don't hesitate to PM me if you have any questions.

Fair winds and following sea's, see you on the other side of the quarterdeck in 5 months!
Scott D.

Post by Scott D. »

Thanks to all for the kind words and advice. It is a scary time, but I know everything will work out. It's going to be waaaaay different than what I have been used to for 20 years, but I'm looking forward to not having to go to sea for 10 months straight, or listen to whiny young sailors. I know a lot will be the same ( whiners everywhere in society ). Thanks again guys. Guess I'll have to change my signature at the bottom here soon too huh?
Dan McKenzie

Post by Dan McKenzie »

Scott,
First of all congratulations. Second I think you might be a little surprised what is available and what it is possibly like. There are many former millitary men and women out there working in the private sector, a lot of what you learned in the Navy is VERY transferable, especially PMS systems used by the Navy, lots of us who learned it have taken and applied it in the companies we work for. Leadership, that is huge, you can't buy it, the only way to get it is to earn it, well Chief you did. I would be willing to guess even without knowing your rating, that you are a highly sought after commodity with real world experience, leadership and technical skills many employers are seeking. Identify what your interested in, plan your strategy, enlist as many as you can into your "network" and no-doubt in short order you will be embarking on your next "career" very soon. Good luck.
snapitoff2002

Post by snapitoff2002 »

Well you're welcome to come up here and show me how to catch my own fish here at Shasta! I'm baffled! By then, you can sell me another trolling motor.. Make it a MinnKota this time! j/k
Flippinjigs

Post by Flippinjigs »

I retired after 21 years 6 months, and 27 days from the USAF. You can always reup for four more nothing says you have to retire at 20 years of active duty. Life will go on no matter what you do. As someone said you will be disapointed with unmotavated work force. HOWEVER GOOD LUCK AND THANK YOU FOR SERVING OUR COUNTRY.

GOOD FISHING
Flippinjigs
Scott D.

Post by Scott D. »

Flippinjigs, thank you for your service as well. Now, if you think I am going to reenlist though, you've lost your friggin' mind bro!!! They say you know when it's time.........IT'S TIME!!!