Fishing with my son

Derrick

Fishing with my son

Post by Derrick »

I was on the river yesterday fishing with my 6 year old son he says Dad this push button reel is a piece of junk I have been using it since I was a kid(ha!)I want to use a one of those kind(spinning reel). So I showed him 2 minutes later there he was all 4ft of him slinging a 6ft 6in rod. It really cool as a dad to watch your kids having a great time fishing .
Derrick
Dan Rechs

Awesome story*NM*

Post by Dan Rechs »

*NM*
Ron C

It only gets better Derrick...

Post by Ron C »

Several years ago, I was fishing a Bassing for Abused Kids charity tournament with my (then) six year old son Timothy. I had already put four quick fish in the boat and was shooting for our limit fish. I pitched out a worm to a small overhanging rock, just knowing that there was a fish there. My son, who is pretty darn good with a spinning rod, tossed his worm directly on top of mine. No sweat, I'll just reel mine in and make another cast.

As I begin reeling in, I feel something bump my line. I pull a bit to see if I’m towing fish, but I feel nothing. A few seconds later, a four pounder comes flying out of the water with Timothy’s worm hanging from its mouth. Timothy's rod loads up and the next thing I hear is my son yelling at the top of his lungs "Get the net, Dad!â€
Fly'in V

I hear you Ron:

Post by Fly'in V »

Had my boy Darian and wife out with me and we had one of those magic moments. The Wife and I already had some good fish and Dar had not caught anything. I have my wife take the front of the boat and I put down my rod to focus on helping Dar.

I rig him up with a 4 inch blue/pearl senko on his snoopy pole and help cast near some weeds. I tell him just how to fish it, I see the line jump and have him reel up and wam! the fights on for several seconds and SNAP! The fish broke off. The boy drops the pole, doesn't wanna fish any more. Of course I feel like a major HEEL because I knew the line was old!!!

I pull out my sight fishing set-up, a good spinning rod with 30lbs braid and tie on the same color senko. "Go ahead fishy make my day". I cast this time, see the line jump and coax Darian to take the pole back. WAM FISH ON! He boats a nice 2 lber, we look in the fish's mouth and find the first senko. the boys amazed

I re-rig him a new senko and help cast to the same spot, second later I see the line jump, I have him sitting in front of me on the back seat and I have my hand on the butt of the rod when he sets the hook. WAM! the fish takes off! (good thing I had a hand on the rod) Kids screaming "I can't do it help" I keep encouraging him all the way to the net and he had his first 5 pounder. We weight her then took a felt pen and make a mark on the gunnels of the boat so he will always remember how big that 5 pounder was.

Hugs and kisses around then I had “himâ€
PISCIS DIEM (Fish the Day)
lawrencelee

Re: Fishing with my son

Post by lawrencelee »

I remember every moment of fishing with my son and regret not having any experiences fishing with my daughter.

When my son was 8 years old, we went to Del Valle for a day of fishing - upon arriving at the marina all the boats were rented out and the trout was on a hot bite around the launch ramp but was just out of casting distance - we waited about 2 hours for a rental boat to be available and was finally able to share a boat (no motor) with another father/son - got out in front of the marina/launch and the bite was still on - I almost forgot about my son with the being hot, but remembered at the last minute and handed him my pole - 1st trout @ 2#+, I put my pole away and just assisted him in landing 10 trout - all his and the smile on his face said it all.
another time, age 10, I took him on a charter to the Farallons and he was sick - man was he sick, wanted to go him and when I told him the captain would not turn around until the trip was over, his face told the story again and I felt really bad that I couldn't do anything for him - anyway, when the captain said to drop the lines, there he was next to me and wanted to fish - again, I put my pole away to assist him and he brought in 29 of those rock cods with one big fish that came in 2nd and paid for him trip.
he seems to catch bass whenever he wants to but is not interested in tournaments, he is now 36 years old and we get out about twice a year.

:D
mac (Doyle McEwen)

Awesome stories gentlemen

Post by mac (Doyle McEwen) »

Thanjs for sharing..And an even bigger thanks for sharing with a kid..Nothing can beat their expression when they catch their first fish or their first big fish..

mac
Take a kid fishing, and don't forget about us older kids either..