Sacroiliac advice

BB

Sacroiliac advice

Post by BB »

I am looking for some advice.

About a week and a half ago, I suffered an injury to my back when the boat I was riding in hit a cruiser wake head on at Lake Shasta. The doctor has determined that I have a sprained Sacroiliac. For those of you fortunate enough to have never suffered an injury of this sort, it ranks a close second, in my book anyhow, to kidney stones.

I am currently on Celebrex during the day to reduce the inflammation, and Vicodin at night to help ease the pain. The problem I am having is getting comfortable enough at night to be able to get some decent rest.

My question to all of you out there is, if anyone has had the misfortune to suffer this extremely painful injury, do you have any helpful tips or suggestions for being able to sleep at night????

I have another tournament in a couple of weeks and would like to be able to fish it.

I appreciate any and all tips and insight from any one who has dealt with this in the past. Feel free to share any stories you may have as well surrounding the length of recovery time, things to watch out for and advice for healing.

Thanks in advance....

Sore, Battered and bruised!!

BB
Simon

Ahh BB,

Post by Simon »

get rest and drink plenty of "Nac"... :lol:
Fly'in V

I Feel Your pain Brother!

Post by Fly'in V »

A few years back ( 15 ) while retreiving my luggage at the airport, I did the "One Handed Luggege Clean-N-Jerk" and suffered permanet ligiment damage in my right "SI" joint, which is a funny little place where the Sacroiliac is attached to the Hip Plateu.

So I have a "Life long pain in the ***". Now I can go under the knife of be careful and life with it.

A good Chiropractor helps a lot. and I have learned how to adjust my lower back myself as a result.

But some time nothing works except staying off your feet.

and don't for get the butt seat.

Fly'in V
PISCIS DIEM (Fish the Day)
RON SIX

Re: Sacroiliac advice

Post by RON SIX »

S.I. PAIN,
TOUGH GOING FOR YOU FOR THE NEXT COUPLE OF WEEKS. SINCE ITS BEEN A FEW WEEKS IT WOULD BE BEST FOR YOU TO START DOING SOME LIGHT ASSISTED STRETCHING. KNEE TO CHEST STRETCH, SIT IN A CHAIR CROSS YOUR RIGHT LEG OVER YOUR LEFT AND BEND FORWARD THEN DO THE OTHER SIDE. ICE AT NIGHT.

THEN PUT IN A RECESSED TROLLING MOTOR MOUNT.

RON
bassindon69

If you do that next tourney

Post by bassindon69 »

Just play it safe, SLOW DOWN Some. The take off will be bumpy if you are not in the top to take off. If you do it again before you heal it will be worse. Also get your self a Nice back brace for support at least when going across the water. I was even thinking about getting a kidney belt like the dirt bike races put on. I am sure they will help with the bumping and jamming of the back.
Don.
P.S. Hope you feel better soon! :wink:
Andy Giannini

Mine

Post by Andy Giannini »

SI problem, pinched the "physcotic" nerve. Went through years of threrapy, finally found a therapist that manipulated me like chiropractor. I was fixed except for the muscle spasms that kept drawing it back into a bad place.

Discovered the Stairmaster in therapy. Strengthened up my lower back, and pelvic region that I had been protecting for years. No more spasms, no more SI troubles. The machine also turns you into a stud running the TM.

I am not saying its the solution to everything, but if anybody has a Stairmaster PT 2000 in the garage I would be interested in upgrading my personal stepper!

A.G.
"If you can't win, at LEAST catch the Big Fish!"
blkdog812
Location: "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be

Post by blkdog812 »

as a 5 bad disks, three surgery suffer, best advise is of course excercise. 2nd thing is get off the vicoden its (very addictive , easily abused) and most do get relief from celebrex. ( + all the side effects arent worht it) aleve works better ( longer lasting), but might have to up the daily amount. at night try sleeping with a pillow between ur legs or crossing a leg over the other and with the knee pulled up towards ur hip while huggin a pillow on ur side. you will have to figure out which one to pull up or cross over. remember dont over do anything even if u feel better.
Elmhurst bassman

Post by Elmhurst bassman »

when I had some serious pain and I had to fish a tournament I popped a couple heavy duty painkillers (vicoden or 4mg morphine tabs) and then took in as much caffiene as i could. The painkillers subsided the pain where it was manageable and the caffiene really helped get rid of the cobwebs the meds provide.Keep in mind I fish a team circuit but I don't drive the boat. You definitely do not want to try this if you are driving. Just remember to use meds as only a part of a pain management program. sufficient rest, stretching braces, supports, ice and heat are all part of a successful pain management program. No matter what you do you will feel like crap the next day but if you caught the big fish it's worth it.
ken

sacroliac advice

Post by ken »

BB I experienced exactly your problem which eventually required a back operation. However if you are going fishing in 2 weeks I advise making a foam cushion about 6" to 8" thick. I had mine made up at a upholstery shop and still use it today in rough weather or like this weekend. It makes life in the boat much better. Ken
BB

Thank you all for your helpful advice for my sore back

Post by BB »

I just wanted to send out a big THANK YOU to all of you who sent in words of advice and encouragement in regards to my bad back. I am taking my sweet time in recovering and trying to get back on the water. I am getting plenty of rest, lots of ice and exercise, and even a few doctor prescribed meds :wink:

Thanks again for your help. Hope to see you all on the water soon.

Be safe and watch where you are going.

Keep Fishing,

BB
Ken C.

Try one of the air beds out there...

Post by Ken C. »

Such as the Sleep Number. There are several available. Go try one out. I've got one of them and it has helped mine considerably!
[i][b]To the world, you might be just one person. But to one person, you just might be the world...[/b][/i]
[img]http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a266/shred1080/misc/Disclaimer.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Kadota.jpg[/img]
dave

Post by dave »

Hey BB, Had back trouble for 15 years, then had a blow out on #5 & had surgery. I found the best therapy along with the excercise & anti-inflamatorys is to keep moving. If I would lay around or sit, it would take forever to get better. Walk walk walk. Good luck, Dave